Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gumby-fan

Can online multiplayer be added like in Trine 2? (That would be sweet!)

Hello,

I am so excited for The Cave that I decided to read the wikipedia article about it.

It was then that I learned that the current plan is to only have three person play in on the same computer.

Is it possible to switch to possible online play?

My example is the "TotalBiscuit and Yogscast" (prominent youtube reviewers) demonstration of Trine 2.

On their own, these reviews could have shown Trine, but as a team the results were so comedic that I was confined that accessible multiplayer was the most fun way to go.

As for my personal experience, my friends live across town and in some cases in other states. At home multiplayer for me is just me trying to hold two controllers at once or something.

I know that marketing always happens very late in the development cycle, but I bring this matter up now because this is my very first opportunity to do so.

I would like to hear the forum's community speak out on this idea.

Hoping the conversation helps Double Fine,

Gumby fan

It does feel like a lost opportunity to omit online multiplayer.

I'm specifically thinking of Journey's online co-op as a reference. It was an awesome chance to play online and do something other than shoot and kill people. You still get the sense of accomplishment and camaraderie but it's more involved than several rounds of quick matches. It's a journey, and The Cave looks to be the same sort of experience.

Online's always a bitch to implement, but if it's possible it would do a lot for The Cave's replay value and probably its sales.

Online would be nice for playing with friends, but I wouldn't dare play a puzzle-centric game online with strangers. The chance of getting an idiot and/or griefer is just too high.

Single player looks compelling enough that I probably won't miss online multiplayer. I'm kind of tired of games that put so much effort into the multiplayer experience that it becomes the way to play, anyway.

Sign in to follow this