Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loadinglevelone

Is it really an adventure game?

Really curious about this as well. I mean looks can be deceiving but it sure seems to be the genre of game like The Lost Vikings or Trine... platforming with puzzles.

Really curious about this as well. I mean looks can be deceiving but it sure seems to be the genre of game like The Lost Vikings or Trine... platforming with puzzles.

Even if that were so, it does not bother me since I have always wanted to try the "Lost Viking" games anyway.

Even if that were so, it does not bother me since I have always wanted to try the "Lost Viking" games anyway.

That as it may be, it still does not make it an adventure game as such.

I have no doubts that The Cave will be a very enjoyable game, as The Lost Vikings also were, but marketing it as an adventure game seems misleading.

There are items to use, puzzles to solve, and an environment to explore. It may not be a point-and-click adventure game, which has a much more strict definition, but it seems to fit within the adventure category to me. There's platforming, but certainly doesn't seem to be the focus of the gameplay.

Counter-question: does it appear to have ADVENTURING in it?

Therefore adventure game.

There are items to use, puzzles to solve, and an environment to explore. It may not be a point-and-click adventure game, which has a much more strict definition, but it seems to fit within the adventure category to me.

Maybe, but I think it's more that you just have to wonder if the classic adventure elements won't feel constrained in a sidescroller. Course I'll end up buying it anyway but I hope there's a good amount of dialogue and red herring items and things like that.

Some good points. I guess it comes down to the definition of adventure game.

To me - in an adventure game - the story should always be the main focus, with or without any puzzles.

Whereas in this game it seems that the puzzle-solving part in it self is the main objective.

Counter-question: does it appear to have ADVENTURING in it?

Therefore adventure game.

Exactly. Just like Super Mario Bros. fits into the fighting game genre because there is plumber on goomba fighting.

It's a character-driven non-combat-oriented game with exploration and puzzle-solving. I think that fits!

That wasn't good enough for Ron to call Limbo an adventure game. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun, but I think it's pretty cynical to claim it's an adventure game, I hope it wasn't his idea.

It's a character-driven non-combat-oriented game with exploration and puzzle-solving. I think that fits!

That wasn't good enough for Ron to call Limbo an adventure game. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun, but I think it's pretty cynical to claim it's an adventure game, I hope it wasn't his idea.

There isn't really much exploration in Limbo. It was a very linear game. That might be where Ron draws the line.

There also wasn't really any use of inventory or items in Limbo, either. Puzzles were solved by moving objects around or flipping switches.

Well, I'm guessing we'll learn more about how Ron defines adventure games when we play this game. To my thinking, exploration, inventory and puzzle solving together will be enough to give me much of the feeling I get from playing what I think of as adventure games. It's a very general term, anyway. If there can be text adventures, action adventures and point and click adventures, I don't see why there can't be platforming adventures. I haven't played Limbo, so I dunno aboot that one.

Doesn't look like an adventure game, but I don't care; I still like the game for what it is.

I do think it may be a mistake not to market it as puzzle platformer too, since there is a huge slice of people, including me, that do like the genre.

Super Mario World was awesome! I freakin' LOVE mario games. Nobody can do Mario games quite like Miyamoto. I'm super pumped that he's doing a new Mario game soon so we can finally get back to what Mario gaming is really all about!

250px-Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not classic Mario at all! And from Miyamoto himself! You lied to us, Miyamoto! This is so disappointing!

*seppuku*

ad·ven·ture/adˈvenCHər/

Noun:

An unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.

Verb:

Engage in hazardous and exciting activity, esp. the exploration of unknown territory: "they had adventured into the forest".

Almost every video game ever made is an adventure game!

WHAT A TWIST CsRbR.jpg

Yep, it´s an adventure game. Not a traditional adventure game, but still an adventure game. Platform adventure maybe.

I would say that a any character driven story based game where the gameplay is not based on action is an adventure game. Deathspank wasn´t an adventure game. This is. Portal 1&2 are also adventure game.

Imho.

Edit: I honestly didn´t read Chris Remos post before I wrote mine. But what a smart man he seems to be.

If Ron Gilbert says this is an adventure game, then it is an adventure game.

Ya, I'm sure there are very good reasons which we will discover when playing.

Its located in a cave how can it NOT be an adventure game. Unless it involves a guided tour and has prefixed stairs.

This!

Plus, who said adventure games are so strictly connected to the point and click interface?

You can play point'n'click adventure games and adventure games which use a different gameplay mechanic.

Has anyone heard of this game named Grim Fandango?

To me, this looks more like a platform puzzle solving game. Not an adventure game.
Hopefully it's not advertised wrong like Brütal Legend was...

hKWl5.jpg

I'm a bit confused...

Cave looks like a great game, I love the references to The Lost Vikings and Trine,

but is it the game that we funded through Kickstarter?

The Kickstarter's project page still says:

"About the Project

Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game,

a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see."

( Kickstarter's page )

Edit:

Looks like I found my answer (not news either), sorry if I confused others with my question.

The Cave Is Not Double Fine’s Kickstarter Game (from wegotthiscovered.com 1st march 2012)

I'm a bit confused...

Yup. Read around a bit.

What you need to know: this is a different game ;)

Please, guys. I started playing this drinking game where I have to take a shot every time someone mistakes this for the Kickstarter game and you're KILLING ME.

Yep thanks, sorry about that!

I did read around a bit but not enough it seems!

I have a feeling you'll get very very drunk though :lol:

Please, guys. I started playing this drinking game where I have to take a shot every time someone mistakes this for the Kickstarter game and you're KILLING ME.

Let's make it competitive. YOU take a shot every time someone mistakes Ron's game for the DFA, and I'll take a drink every time someone expresses concern that Ron's game isn't a real adventure game.

Do we win by being the first one on the floor or the last one standing? Does it even matter? I don't know, but we're playing this now.

Readysetgo.

Sign in to follow this