Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Welcome to The Cave's forum!

Today we announced Ron Gilbert's new adventure game, The Cave! It has an official trailer:

GGHPgdSMWNc

Once you have sufficiently marveled at that tantalizing teaser, read more about this cooperative adventure game at the following fine media outlets:

- Kotaku

- Eurogamer

- Polygon

- Giant Bomb

- Rock, Paper, Shotgun

- Joystiq

- PC World

- Ars Technica

[Edit: More articles added below]

- Pig Mag (Italian)

- Destructoid

- Der Standard (German)

- Inside Gaming Daily

- XBIGY Games

- GameZebo

- Sega Portal (German)

- GamersGlobal (German)

- CinemaBlend

After you've read those, why not discuss The Cave?

And after you've done all that, sit down and have a nice warm slice of pie. You've earned it!

Don't forget, The Cave isn't DFA!

I guess everyone is thinking "What platform is this on?"

I'm hoping for Steam, with controller support

I guess everyone is thinking "What platform is this on?"

I'm hoping for Steam, with controller support

It'll be downloadable on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It will support controller on PC.

This looks very interesting. It reminds me of Little Big Planet somehow. It's a shame I have to wait until 2013.

And after you've done all that, sit down and have a nice warm slice of pie. You've earned it!

Don't mind if I do. :)

I've said it in another thread, but I'm going to say it again, thank you for making a PC version as well as the console versions. With past post-Psychonauts DF games either being console-exclusive or getting very delayed PC ports (Not DF's fault for the most part, I know. Can't help it when a publisher refuses to fund a PC version), I was bracing for the worst, or at least, a long wait. This makes me super happy.

Don't mind if I do. :)

I've said it in another thread, but I'm going to say it again, thank you for making a PC version as well as the console versions. With past post-Psychonauts DF games either being console-exclusive or getting very delayed PC ports (Not DF's fault for the most part, I know. Can't help it when a publisher refuses to fund a PC version), I was bracing for the worst, or at least, a long wait. This makes me super happy.

Glad to oblige!

I'm also reminded a bit of LittleBigPlanet, which is high praise since I consider it to be one of the best franchises this generation. Granted this seems to be set in a darker, fantasy setting. I'm already sold.

It'll be downloadable on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It will support controller on PC.

Does PC only equal "Windows"? Or will this include Mac as well?

Oh sweet! Game looks beautiful! I wasn't expecting it to be an action platformer, but it looks really cool! It does remind me a little of Little Big Planet, and the characters are definitely Maniac Mansion/DOTT like. Also find it neat that DF is teaming up with Sega for this. Hopefully, this gets DF a lot of good exposure. Can't wait for 2013!

A very interesting concept. It looks great! Two adventure games next year from the masters of the genre! :)

Hm, I know I will find myself purchasing the pc version of this game. :)

Smiles

I have to say after watching this trailer I am very, VERY excited. It looks fab and I cant wait, being chock full of great visual style and some great puzzles to solve..Also being on the consoles is a big, big plus.. as to be honest sitting on the PC to play games now a days just doesn't do it for me anymore (Double Fine Adventure please take note and extend you planned rosta to include Xbox and PS3).

Now all the concept art posted on Grumpy Gamer earlier this year finally makes sense!

This game looks great, can't wait to play it. Finally an adventure game(+a tiny bit of platformer) for PS3.

The story and atmospher seems very interesting. I really like the fact that it is all like one huge world and not divided into levels, should give a nice flow.

Some very nice concept art if anybody missed it:

http://grumpygamer.com/archives

Does it support co-op multiplayer?

Now all the concept art posted on Grumpy Gamer earlier this year finally makes sense!

This game looks great, can't wait to play it. Finally an adventure game(+a tiny bit of platformer) for PS3.

The story and atmospher seems very interesting. I really like the fact that it is all like one huge world and not divided into levels, should give a nice flow.

Some very nice concept art if anybody missed it:

http://grumpygamer.com/archives

Only local multiplayer. It won't be online.

That's great, should be very fun.

Thank you for the info Syd.

That's great, should be very fun.

Thank you for the info Syd.

Maybe Ron will be nice enough to include the secret of Monkey Island in The Cave, as a hidden easter egg, of course.

I'm not sure I like the sound of the "cooperative" part...! It is a single-player game, right? You're just talking about the different characters (cooperating) in game? Can anyone confirm?

I'm not sure I like the sound of the "cooperative" part...! It is a single-player game, right? You're just talking about the different characters (cooperating) in game? Can anyone confirm?

This is suppose to be part of the brilliance. You can both play it by yourself (meaning you alone control the 3 characters) or with up to 3 friends cooperating (local multiplayer). It's like the Trine games but here there is also suppose to be inventory puzzles and all characters have their own backstory that will play out.

This game looks absolutely gorgeous; I think I'll be getting the Xbox version.

I'm also very excited about the local multiplayer. It's getting so hard to find good, cooperative local multiplayer games.

Has it been announced when a patch on Steam might be released?

I didn't encounter any game breaking bugs on Steam, although some of the achievements do not get unlocked if you're using an x360ce controller for some reason. The workaround I have been told is to save the game right before the end, then quit and deactivate your 360 controller, then restart the game and finish it with just the keyboard.

Would like a change to the Time Traveler boulder puzzle as mentioned in the opening post of this thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8528/

More for new people who will play the game.. once you know, it's no big deal.

Overall, it's a really fun and entertaining game in the usual DF fashion!

Today was freakin' awesome....the mrs. made me breakfast in bed...i got grim fandango last night before bed (which is hilarious!)...after i ate, the mrs. asked me if i wanted to play a game with her....i look at the tv....she had The Cave on....we been playing it together all day. She got it for us as a surprise. The talking cave is a really nice touch. I originally thought this was just gonna be a really cutesy thing along the lines of 3 vikings but with more complex puzzles....its got way more depth...and a little blood....yaaay blood! As usual, DF goes beyond my expectations once again...can't forget to mention Ron's greatness either.

Sidenote: If anyone on a mac wants to be able to play grim fandango, theres ppl that spent NINE YEARS working on a program called 'residualvm'. For ppl to do an open source project and stick to it for that long....Tim's masterpiece must have made a hell of an impression. Then again, I'm addicted to Iron Brigade....

Sign in to follow this