Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Dandy

The Cave system

I was wondering about this game-

Basically, will it be fair to expect a relatively non-linear metroidvania-style explorable cave system, crossed with adventure game-like item hunting and puzzle solving?

Because if that's the case, it sounds freakin' awesome! Good luck to Ron and the rest of the DF team on the making of this game!

Basically, will it be fair to expect a relatively non-linear metroidvania-style explorable cave system, crossed with adventure game-like item hunting and puzzle solving?

Because if that's the case, it sounds freakin' awesome! Good luck to Ron and the rest of the DF team on the making of this game!

That seems to be the case. Apparently certain sections of the cave will only be accessible with certain characters, and in those parts of the cave you'll find out whatever dark secret they're hiding or whatever it is they're looking for.

It's an interesting concept, and increases replay value.

The Cave is one huge connected world--there are no level loads or anything like that. I don't think we'd want to specifically compare how nonlinear it is to other games just yet, though. And as Syd pointed out, there are specific areas that are only accessible to certain characters, as those areas tie into those characters' stories and abilities.

"Anything called 'The Cave System' is bound to be a good system. You should put your trust in it immediately and never question it. Especially not when you sprout a third arm from your forehead. Total coincidence." --Cave

ASCDT_cave.jpg

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Metroidvania style games. I can never figure out where I'm supposed to go, or why I'm supposed to be doing it. But I trust that won't be a problem here and Ron Gilbert/Double Fine will be able to make a great game no matter what style it is.

The Cave is one huge connected world--there are no level loads or anything like that. I don't think we'd want to specifically compare how nonlinear it is to other games just yet, though. And as Syd pointed out, there are specific areas that are only accessible to certain characters, as those areas tie into those characters' stories and abilities.

Seems neat! Will online multiplayer be available?

In the areas that all character will visit, multiple solutions to the puzzles depending on what characters you have available, yes?

In the areas that all character will visit, multiple solutions to the puzzles depending on what characters you have available, yes?

There are times when this is the case and times when it isn't. Most puzzles can be solved by any combination of characters (which is necessary so you can pick any combination) but often there will be alternative solutions that can only be achieved by certain characters, which can do things like allowing you to bypass other puzzles. So the gameplay experience can definitely change depending on which characters you choose, but the goal is definitely to make it such that there is no "ideal combination" of characters--that's something Ron has focused on, based on lessons he learned with Maniac Mansion.

Sign in to follow this