Sign in to follow this  
theubersmurf

Hi um activating psychonauts through steam?

I have a retail box of Psychonauts I bought when it came out, somehow, usually when I try to install it, there are enormous problems. My screen going white and the installation ending at such a point...what I wanted to know, is if there is a way to use steam to install it. Steam prompts you for a retail key, however I can't find one in the package (maybe I just lost it). I've never finished it, and want to be able to, and would also like to have it through steam in the event any of my CDs get damaged or lost. And perhaps with this method, I can get through the install process...:)

I have a retail box of Psychonauts I bought when it came out, somehow, usually when I try to install it, there are enormous problems. My screen going white and the installation ending at such a point...what I wanted to know, is if there is a way to use steam to install it. Steam prompts you for a retail key, however I can't find one in the package (maybe I just lost it). I've never finished it, and want to be able to, and would also like to have it through steam in the event any of my CDs get damaged or lost. And perhaps with this method, I can get through the install process...:)

What's your system specs?

Have you contacted Steam?

Be sure to patch Psychonauts to the latest version.

In any case, be sure you have the latest video card driver, version of DirectX, and run the file system checker and disk defragmenter.

GameTap has Psychonauts available for free. It's similar to Steam, so there may be conflicts if you install both.

athlon x2 5000+ Windsor

M2N SLI Deluxe, BIOS revision 0307

2x 7950 GT

Ageia Phys-x

pcie Xfi XtremeAudi

250 gig WD Caviar

I haven't contacted Steam because I haven't found an activation code in the retail box I bought so long ago. I can't even attempt it without that.

athlon x2 5000+ Windsor

M2N SLI Deluxe, BIOS revision 0307

2x 7950 GT

Ageia Phys-x

pcie Xfi XtremeAudi

250 gig WD Caviar

I haven't contacted Steam because I haven't found an activation code in the retail box I bought so long ago. I can't even attempt it without that.

Might the code be on the disks? Steam might know where the activation code should be.

If you're on Vista, be sure to run Psychonauts in WinXP SP2 mode.

The system sometimes would freeze, and I'd have to remove it in safe mode. I've also had it partially install and had to dig out the contents of it. You're right about Valve, I went there today and checked, basically Valve games and about 10 others can be transferred like this. I have gotten it installed on a previous occasion and played through some of it. I'd like to finish it though...kinda stinks

The system sometimes would freeze, and I'd have to remove it in safe mode. I've also had it partially install and had to dig out the contents of it. You're right about Valve, I went there today and checked, basically Valve games and about 10 others can be transferred like this. I have gotten it installed on a previous occasion and played through some of it. I'd like to finish it though...kinda stinks

Are you running Vista?