Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

(Poll) Which 3 do you think you'll start with?

Just as the topic says, I want your gut response... if you played this game right now, which 3 would you choose to start out with on your first run? There are 35 possible unique combinations of 3 out of 7 characters, so they're all listed in the poll. Myself, I'm leaning towards Twins, Knight, Scientist.

TheExplorers-small.jpg

Here they are. Monk, Adventurer, Hillbilly, Scientist, Twins, Knight, Time-Traveller.

Man, these polls with a million options are really testing the limits of my short attention span, but I was able to muster up an extra ounce of motivation to cast a vote for twins, adventurer, time-traveller.

Man, these polls with a million options are really testing the limits of my short attention span, but I was able to muster up an extra ounce of motivation to cast a vote for twins, adventurer, time-traveller.

Well, to be fair this one was sort of an all 35 or nothing dealie ;)

Cannot choose like this, I want to use all of them!

By now I say: Twins, Hillbilly and Scientist

Cannot choose like this, I want to use all of them!

By now I say: Twins, Hillbilly and Scientist

Hah, I was actually thinking about whether I'd put in a 'I don't know!' option, but in the end I decided that I wanted this to be a snap judgement: for people to imagine if they had the game in front of them right now, what they'd go with ;)

You should edit the OP and put in a link to the artwork showing the character select screen. It makes it easier to remember all the characters at once. I went back and looked at it before making my choice. =]

You should edit the OP and put in a link to the artwork showing the character select screen. It makes it easier to remember all the characters at once. I went back and looked at it before making my choice. =]

Good idea, and done.

It's actually amazing how many people chose Scientist, Adventurer, Time-Traveller, I myself included. But I think we all fell that's the most successful prototype for someone to get the job done right, right? And you don't even have to live with the consequences :P.

It's actually amazing how many people chose Scientist, Adventurer, Time-Traveller, I myself included. But I think we all fell that's the most successful prototype for someone to get the job done right, right? And you don't even have to live with the consequences :P.

I chose the twins and the time traveler just because they seem the most unique to me. The twins seem like unique protagonists in terms of games in general. They could have their own game and I'd buy it at this point. Just look at 'em!

The time traveler has the sci-fi thing going on, which is not new to the world of video games by any stretch of the imagination, but just in terms of the characters available to choose from, the time traveler sticks out like a sore thumb to me, and people who stick out are interesting.

The adventurer and the time-traveler both appear to be strong female roles, though, which I always gravitate toward in any game which has strong female protagonists available. I just find them more interesting than male protagonists. In addition to all the monsters and demons and whatnot that you'd have to kill regardless of whether you were a man or a woman, women have all this extra social complexity they have to navigate that male protagonists don't generally have to deal with.

Not that I expect that The Cave will get all feminist or anything.

But even so: I feel like female heroes are like heroes PLUS. There's just more to think about when you're playing as a female hero. Possibly a lot of that is just real-world knowledge that I'm carrying into the game with me, but regardless it presents me with a more interesting role to explore and think about.

I went with Scientist, Adventurer, and the Knight.

I loved the Scientist character from the moment I saw her concept art. There's something about the Knight I like, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it's his animations. The Adventurer was picked for the third slot for no real discernible reason other than because I like her design.

Second playthrough will be Time-Traveler, Hillbilly, and the Twins. Monk will have to wait for my third playthrough until I see his story.

On what information am i supposed to choose?

The pictures, the trailer, the previews that are available on many websites that describe a little about what some of the characters can do, your gut feeling just getting a look at the designs of the characters, the names of the archetypes which may be archetypes that appeal or don't appeal to you (I'm into scientist characters, I'm less into monks!), all sorts of things :). This doesn't have to be your choice forever... I mean, I'm not going to check up on you, I'm just looking for a gut response ;)

Not enough results to say much yet, (keep voting!) but so far here are the most popular choices from a quick count, they may be slightly off if I missed any by mistake:

Scientist 13 out of 18

Twins: 10 out of 18

Knight 10 out of 18

Adventurer 8 out of 18

Time Traveller 7 out of 18

Hillbilly 3 out of 18

Monk 2 out of 18

Scientist looking to be a pretty solid favourite for people's first run so far, while the Hillbilly and the Monk sit waaaay behind the others.

While the most popular combo (JUST) so far is Knight, Scientist, Adventurer, but that doesn't mean much yet with so few results.

I'm the most interested in Twins, Monk, Time-Traveller, and Scientist. Gonna have to play twice to get the scientist in there as well. Eh, I'll probably play many times, since there are so many characters and combinations.

At 43 responses it stands as follows:

Scientist: 29 out of 43

Time-Traveller: 22 out of 43

Knight: 20 out of 43

Adventurer: 19 out of 43

Twins: 16 out of 43

Monk: 12 out of 43

Hillbilly: 11 out of 43

While the Monk and the Hillbilly remain the least popular choices and the Scientist is lodged firmly in the top spot, there's been quite a lot of shuffle everywhere else. Most surprisingly (to me), the Twins have been overtaken by both the Time-Traveller and the Adventurer; I was pretty sure they'd remain a popular choice for a long time.

That said, it's all very close in the middle, there are only a couple of votes separating some of them. If one was to choose at random, you'd expect to see each character to appear in just under 43% of games.

Converted into rounded percentages, the above results give us:

Scientist: 67%

Time-Traveller: 51%

Knight: 46%

Adventurer: 44%

Twins: 37%

Monk: 28%

Hillbilly: 26%

Considering that with only 43 responses, each vote is worth about 2.3% per character, I'd say that the difference between the Time Traveler, Knight, Adventurer and Twins right now is indistinguishable from noise and that they're all doing about as well as random chance. But the Scientist is definitely being chosen at a higher rate than random, and Monk and Hillbilly are clearly doing worse than random.

Also worth noting is that this isn't a representative sample of people who will actually end up playing the game. It's a sample of people who are most likely fans of Double Fine/Ron Gilbert and are interested enough in the game to be reading a forum about it. Still, interesting choices I think!

Monk, Scientist, Time-Traveller fo sho.

Scientist, Time Traveler, Knight. Knight looked the coolest and the other two just look and sound the most interesting.

yea me too!

Monk, Scientist, Hillbilly.

Sounds like possible facets of my personality. ;)

Smiles

Scientist, Monk, Adventurer [would have put the mob boss on my first run... oh well].

I think the scientist may be more reminiscent of the old adventure game character design... Like an absolutely perfect update of that era.. that's at least what skews it towards her for me.

yea me too!

Me three. Or fourth.

Latest result round-up at 65 votes:

Scientist: 44 out of 65 (68%)

Time-Traveller:36 out of 65 (55%)

Knight: 27 out of 65 (42%)

Adventurer: 26 out of 65 (40%)

Twins: 25 out of 65 (38%)

Monk: 21 out of 65 (32%)

Hillbilly: 16 out of 65 (25%)

1 vote is worth about 1.5% to every character, now, so the results are a little bit clearer with the Scientist still in a strong lead but the Time-traveller also putting in a strong showing. Meanwhile the Monk is definitely lagging and the Hillbilly settling quite firmly into last place.

Sign in to follow this