Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Screaming Goldfish

Anyone remember Dizzy?

From what I've seen about The Cave so far, it's really reminding me of the Dizzy games by Codemasters - is anyone familiar with them? There were quite a few of them in the 80s/early 90s - one of them was on the NES and Mega Drive (Genesis), Fantastic Dizzy.

They were platformers with a lot of exploration (the games were - mostly - just one huge world, rather than seperate levels) and adventure game style puzzle solving (you even had an inventory). They were great little games with a lot of personality and character - you were an egg, prince of the Yolkfolk, who lived in a tree village and had lots of trouble with evil wizards and trolls - if you've never heard of them, check them out, my favourite is Fantasy World Dizzy, but I think you'll need an Amiga or something to play that one!

Video!

I know people keep mentioning The Lost Vikings and Trine, but I really think the Dizzy games deserve a bit more credit, and I've not seen them mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd do it.

I dunno... I watched the video for a bit, but I'm not feeling a strong connection. Lost Vikings still seems like a better analogy.

Dizzy:

--platforming

--puzzles

--inventory

--one big world instead of separate levels

Lost Vikings:

--Three playable characters, each with unique abilities

--All three characters were on the map at the same time and you switched between them and controlled them separately

--All three characters had specific items and abilities that only they could do

--All three characters had to work together and combine their skills to solve puzzles

--Sidescrolling platformer

--action/combat

--puzzle solving

--an inventory

Have you ever played/seen Lost Vikings? Here is a good demo of what the game has going on. Everything Dizzy appears to have and more/better:

It seems like the strongest argument you have going for you is that the world of dizzy is "one big world" but that's true in one way and false in another:

How it's true: It appears that rather than having "levels", that Dizzy is just one giant level. That is different from Lost Vikings, which has definite levels with definite finish lines.

How it's false: Dizzy's camera doesn't follow dizzy around. It remains fixed in a single view of the current "room", and then when dizzy touches the edge of the screen, the camera "moves" to the next room, where it remains fixed in one place until dizzy touches the edge of the screen again. This is a visual trick used in old games. Whenever dizzy touches the edge of the screen and the camera shifts, it LOOKS like the camera is moving and that there is one big world that all exists simultaneously. Actually, though, the game is just drawing each individual screen one at a time, and each of those screens is a separate, self-contained "room" or "level" that dizzy moves into and out of. The camera shift is just a fancy transition effect. So while it has the APPEARANCE of being one big world, it's really one big grid and you're moving in between individual boxes on the grid that get drawn only one at a time.

The camera in Ron's game (and in Lost Vikings) actually follows the characters in real-time instead of the game using a deceptive transition effect as it draws the next room.

It sounds like Ron is saying his game is 100% open world, sort of like a large map on Terraria where the camera not only follows you in real-time but you can walk from one extreme end of the world to the other without stopping or waiting for a single load. Similarly, you can travel all the way up to the sky and all the way down to the center of the earth with no stopping, no loading screen, no transition effects.

I can see what you mean, I didn't realise Lost Vikings had an inventory system (I have played it but not all the way through and it was a long time ago!), but I think the puzzles in the Dizzy games are much more... adventure gamey, if you know what I mean (steal pygmy cow from field, sell pygmy cow for magic bean, plant magic bean in dung, use water to grow beanstalk...), and it was always about the puzzles (and platforming), without any combat element to speak of. Perhaps the early parts of the video don't illustrate it as well as I'd hoped.

I didn't mean to say that Lost Vikings and Trine weren't good comparison points either, just that there's a uniquely adventure game platforming thing to the Dizzy games that I thought was relevant :)

As for the open world thing, I suppose I just treat it the same way in my head because in the end that's all about mechanics - it is an open world, sort of, and you have to travel around the place, always within the same small world... so yeah!

For anybodies info, one of the makers of the pandora console (which I wont bore you about again) made dizzy like games: http://www.spellboundgames.co.uk/ namely the wizzley presto games.. in the same vain :)

So if somebody fancies some new dizzy adventures this should be your stop :D

Some of the best games in history were budget £1.99 games, some of mine were on the Firebird and Mastertronic labels, shame this seems to be lost on modern publishers, playability is what it should be about and nothing else.

I didn't like Dizzy. Here it maybe mostly was known for the music which was used in a number of cracktros those days.

But the C64 already had a number of very good co-op games like Bruce Lee, The Goonies, Castles of Dr. Creep, Realm of Impossibility, Bubble Bobble and Wizard of War to name just a few.

The only reason I know what the heck Dizzy is is because Yahtzee Croshaw (the guy that made the Chzo mythos adventure games and does the Zero Punctuation reviews each week) mentions it every time he talks about his favorite childhood games

The only reason I know what the heck Dizzy is is because Yahtzee Croshaw (the guy that made the Chzo mythos adventure games and does the Zero Punctuation reviews each week) mentions it every time he talks about his favorite childhood games
You should check out the Let's Play he did for it that I linked up there. Its hilarious.

I've got a Dizzy game for the Aladdin deck enhancer. It's... kind of scary honestly.

Sign in to follow this