Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Questions for our next podcast!

We're going to record a podcast about The Cave with creator Ron Gilbert and designer JP LeBreton, so ask your questions here! We'll try and answer them!

This one is directed at Ron.

There's been a lot of talk on the forum since the announcement of The Cave about the definition of an adventure game. Can you go into detail about what elements you believe a game requires to be considered an adventure game?

Another one for Ron.

You've mentioned that the idea for The Cave has been cooking in your head for a long time now (even predating Maniac Mansion!). What gameplay or story elements are there in The Cave that have been more or less set in stone since the very beginning and how much of it was changed as the years have gone by? Were there certain things about the game that you originally had planned that just wouldn't have worked by today's standards?

How well defined are the characters in terms of backstory, motives, actual names and stuff like that? Right now they give an impression to be placeholders for gameplay mechanics like in most other similiar games, but I guess that they are more fleshed out characters in this game, right?

Edit, damn someone asked already, that's what happens if forget to press send. xD

What made you decide on 7 characters for the game? Were there more characters you wanted to add but didn't have the budget or time for?

1. Based on what surface-level glimpses we fans have seen of the game so far, it appears to be very much like The Lost Vikings. Do you think that's an accurate comparison? In what ways is it similar and in what ways is it different?

2. The game has been in your head for a long time, and you obviously explored certain aspects of the idea (e.g., multiple playable characters with unique skills and unique story outcomes) in Maniac Mansion. What were some of the influences/inspirations driving the original idea? Can you think of any games (or anything else) you encountered over the years that evolved the idea in a significant way?

3. What were some of your influences/inspirations for character ideas? Did you have any, or did you just brainstorm ideas and try them out until you got a list you liked?

4. Is this a downloadable game only? Or is it a retail release?

Some questions from Spain,

Will be text or voices in EFIGS?

And Mac or Linux support?

Will there be several ways to solve the puzzles? As I understood it you get to choose 3 out of 7 characters, but will some of their abilities be similar so that you can solve each puzzle in a similar fashion or will you be required to use some characters at some stage in the game ("puzzle-wise") or will there be several distinct ways to solve the puzzles?

Will the game feature a continuous musical score? Who's the composer?

Will the game feature a continuous musical score? Who's the composer?

Yeah, I'm really interested to hear who's doing the music.

Did the sales numbers of Costume Quest and Stacking influenced the decision to release it on the pc the same time as the console versions

Did the success of the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter affect the marketing of The Cave, specifically regarding the explicit description of it as a pure adventure game?

(I mean, most of the time publishers would rather be intent on hiding the fact that their product is an adventure game, but maybe many gamers don't even know any more what really an adventure game is and the meaning may have even changed a lot, describing more the kind of story than the kind of gameplay)

Oh, and also I wonder: Why is Ron so interested in genre cross-overs? First hack & slash + adventure, now jump & run + adventure.

How do these genres fit together and how do you make them fit together?

Are there things you can only do with particular combinations of characters and their abilities?

Does the actual layout of the cave change depending on which characters are exploring it, or is it one large, mappable environment?

Are there any particular game design conventions you dislike which this game was specifically designed to improve on, solve or eliminate?

(for Ron specifically:)

Is there anything you learned while developing Deathspank which has influenced the design of this game?

How has the process of developing the game changed your perception of the concept you came in with (if it has at all)?

I'm super late to this thread, but was just wondering if there will be any voice recordings for this game? Voices are always nice, but I could really go either way. Neither Costume Quest nor Stacking had them and they both were awesome. That and all early games never had them, but were just as enjoyable.

The cast has been recorded so we've already answered the ones we're going to answer in this episode. We got to a bunch though! And hopefully we'll have more chances to answer questions in the future.

Also I will answer this one now:

I'm super late to this thread, but was just wondering if there will be any voice recordings for this game? Voices are always nice, but I could really go either way. Neither Costume Quest nor Stacking had them and they both were awesome. That and all early games never had them, but were just as enjoyable.

The Cave itself will be voiced! As for other voices...who's to say?

Will there be loads of glorious, shiny loot? Because I really love loot.

How about a currency, with shops and the like?

Also, will there be some combat mechanics? I'd like to see some enemies to slay outside of just puzzles.

And the podcast will go up...?

I just listened to the old podcasts. Lots of good fun. I know Tim and the gang are too busy doing real work but I wish this could be a monthly podcast!!!

My question was answered!

I feel special.

I was surprised when JP said he'd only been on it for a year.

That was one hell of a pre-pro period.

Sign in to follow this