Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wldmr

Everybody should write a novel. I mean it.

Maybe I simply frequent less loquacious communities, but you guys write a lot! I mean torrents and torrents of text. I feel that half the posts here are basically treatises on whatever topic is at hand. And frankly, if your name isn't Tim Schafer or Ron Gilbert, I'm not likely to read them.

Three suggestions:

1. Write a novel. Seriously. Get it out of your system. Ever heard of NaNoWriMo? Great fun.

2. Please structure your essays. Make subheadings, lists, anything that breaks of the text into digestible chunks. This helps comprehension and makes the prospect of reading a long piece less daunting.

3. If you're feeling adventurous (hehe): Edit. Write lots, delete most. Only leave the essential. Please.

No offense meant. I'm just amazed at how incredibly wordy it gets in here. I'd like to participate more, but it takes so damn much time to sift through all the words! Oh my god, the sheer amount of WORDS!

Thanks for making this post. So many times I've tried to get involved in a thread I'm interested in but have found access blocked by huge walls of impenetrable text.

I think you're getting the wrong impression. It's always the same 4-6 people that writes huge walls of texts in their posts, and it's hard to reply to them without writing another wall of text in return. But I agree that those people should structure their text better.

But most importantly, people write a lot here because they're passionate about discussing video game design and there's no real equivalent elsewhere. Writing novels could never achieve that.

Hehe, no I get that. I'm not even really annoyed or anything like that. Heck, I've written a long post or two in my day. Just thought I'd give a little heads up. You know, maybe get some people to say the same things, but with less words (whenever possible, which is almost always).

And the novel thing: There are some wicked creative people on here. Many seem to love language. I totally think many folks on here would make non-terrible writers. Not of novels, necessarily, but of anything. It was a serious suggestion, if somewhat buried under a coat of cynicism.

Edit to add: I notice that so far, I've written the longest posts in this thread. Take that, me!

I feel misled by your thread title. Is your aim to inspire others to write novels, or to inspire others to write shorter posts here? I lack confidence with creative writing and opened this thread hoping to find motivation, but I'm afraid it only motivated me to write this reply.

Yup. I've heard of NaNoWriMo and I participated in it a bit before eventually falling behind and losing interest in what I was writing.

What SmashManiac said about replying to long posts with long posts is true too. I assume if they're going to write a long post they're willing to accept a long reply. I can be pretty effective with deleting and dramatically shortening posts, but that can take a lot of time, and if I expect the person I'm responding to will read it anyway I'm not always willing to do it.

Where I'll edit is in a new thread that I start. In that case I'm the one asking other people to join in, and I don't want to create a high barrier to entry.

Headings are a good idea though. Sure, I'll do that.

But yeah, writing a novel isn't the same thing. A novel is by definition some sort of story, whereas what we're writing here aren't stories. And it's harder to find an audience for a novel. People aren't just writing these long posts to get a lot of writing out.

People wanna have conversations. Can't really do that with books.

But we're looking at a turn-based convo system here, not real time convos, so people tend to want to get all of their ideas out at once on their turn, much like you want to throw down as many awesome moves as you can on your turn in whatever turn-based RPG.

So what we end up with is the Double Fine equivalent of a peer-reviewed journal on player experience.

Someone should come up with a pedantic and highly pretentious title for our journal. Also, all forum posts exceeding 400 words must now be given pedantic titles.

*bangs gavel*

It is law.

Yeah, sorry for the novel thing. I was being serious, but also a bit snarky. And not really THAT serious. I just think all that zest and creativity on this board could be used for some serious Good™.

Anyway. I don't think this needs much discussion. It was really just me whining about being a lazy reader. ;)

Anyway. I don't think this needs much discussion. It was really just me whining about being a lazy reader. ;)

READ?! Reading is what we did before we had the neural interface.

Writing is quick and easy. Reading is quick and easy. Editing and getting to the essence of an argument is slow and hard. So...

If a novel seems like too much of a task, short stories and flash fiction can be a great place to start. I was overwhelmed by the novel process but managed to write and sell a few pieces of flash, and that can give you a lot of confidence to tackle something longer.

Writing is quick and easy. Reading is quick and easy. Editing and getting to the essence of an argument is slow and hard. So...

But reading isn't quick and easy when what you've got to read is a huge, uninterrupted block of text. I'd love to get involved in these discussions but I just don't have time. All it takes is a few line breaks the process becomes 10 times quicker.

Ive wrote a book, and printed it... published 4 chapters of it... however it's on cell biology :D

But it works see I make short posts.

Sign in to follow this