Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OANST

It's a Fine, Fine World!

So there's this thing that happened. It's a pretty cool thing, and I'm going to write up a nice long "article" about it soon, including lots of pictures, but for now I'm going to do a small summary of it.

About a week, and a half ago I received an email from Chris Remo. It said this:

Hi there!

As you may have seen around the internet (for example: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/a-puzzling-glimpse-of-ron-gilberts-new-double-fine-game/), Ron Gilbert’s new Double Fine game is on the verge of being announced.

We would love to fly you out to the Double Fine offices in San Francisco next Wednesday, May 23, to meet Ron and witness the official unveiling of his new project. You’re the only community member we’ve invited, and this is a fairly small event primarily for our friends in the press, so it’s a pretty unique opportunity and we hope you can come! As for how you ended up on the receiving end of this, we can explain once you’re out here.

We know this is pretty short notice, so we would understand if it’s not possible. But hopefully it is! Let us know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Chris Remo

Double Fine Productions

My first reaction, and a reaction that I maintained for quite a while was to just say "Bullshit. That's not real". Hell, I get emails about my World of Warcraft account once or twice a week, and I've never played WoW in my life, much less set up an account. This has got to be a scam, right? But wait, the email address that it was sent from looked real, so I figured I could manage my expectations as much as possible, and still look into it. I asked the scamster if I could call to confirm it. He said yes, and gave me a number to the office. A number I recognized. All of a sudden it starts falling into place. I've called this number before. I called it when I had made an order on the Double Fine Store, and needed to make sure that the merch would arrive by a certain date. This just might be real.

Okay, long story short, it turned out to be real. They flew me out to San Francisco a few days, and I got back to Detroit late last night.

Stay tuned for part 2 of my San Francisco adventures!

Wow, lucky! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Part 2. (Again, I'm going to write this up in a much better fashion in the next few days when I have more time, but here's pictures!)

PicturesSF089.jpg

PicturesSF088.jpg

PicturesSF087.jpg

PicturesSF086.jpg

PicturesSF085.jpg

PicturesSF084.jpg

PicturesSF083.jpg

PicturesSF082.jpg

PicturesSF130.jpg

Really awesome that they'd invite a community member to an event like that.

That is really awesome, OANST! They should offer this as a contest prize for fans whenever they launch a new title!

Great pictures!

Dear god! That is so cool! So how were you selected, OANST? Was your name picked from a hat? Have you tricklingly accrued special forum cred? Was the game your idea?

Looks like a fun trip!

I miss San Fran 3.

I live on almost the complete opposite side of the country these days---not too terribly far from OANST, actually!---but a few years ago the girl I was dating lived in The Castro, so I got to stay in SF a while. In The Castro even! Very different from my current place, but I was a huge fan.

But I didn't get to party with Double Fine, alas. =(

Congrats to OANST on what looks like an awesome trip and congrats to Ron and the team on the upcoming game!

Dear god! That is so cool! So how were you selected, OANST? Was your name picked from a hat? Have you tricklingly accrued special forum cred? Was the game your idea?

Some of you may remember that I made a thread called The Cave a few months ago. It was just after it was discovered that Double Fine had trademarked the name, and I made the thread for speculation on what it might be. Well, only one person responded to it, and the thread quickly died. The folks at Double Fine remembered me having made that (somewhat in amusement, and somewhat in irritation that I put the name out there before they were ready), and so decided to fly me down for the press announcement.

I can't describe to you guys what an amazing experience it was. The first thing you notice when you walk into Double Fine's studio isn't the oodles of awards, or the masses of amazing concept art. It's the people, and this sense of joy that just seems to radiate off of them. This, I think, is what makes Double Fine so special to so many of us. There is a certain indefinable quality to a Double Fine game that makes it so much more compelling than other games. Most people would say it's the humor, and yeah, that's right. Others would say it's the attention to detail, an attention they pay to creating a living, breathing world that you inhabit, and yeah, it's that too. But I think what gives them the ability to create these experiences that we love so much is simply the fact that they take so much joy in what they do. And certainly, anyone who has been a fan of theirs for any period of time has seen them struggle, and have to fight sometimes almost insurmountable odds just to get their product out there, but you just know that when it's time to create they are wiping the emotional slate clean, and putting the money problems aside. They create from a place of purity, and that's what makes great art.

I'm really bad with remembering names, and I tried to write about everyone I didn't know while I was there so I would make sure to remember their name when it came time to do this, but I couldn't get my pen to work. So, if I don't remember your name, please don't take it personally. Here we go. I would like to thank Chris Remo for taking me on the tour around the office, and making sure that I got to meet everyone, regardless of how busy they might have been at that moment. I want to thank Laura for making me feel at home the moment I walked in. I want to thank the girl in the glasses (I'm so sorry, I just can't remember!), who's manic energy was almost as entertaining to watch as The Cave's demo. I want to thank Matt, The Cave's producer, for spending so much time hanging out with me, shooting the breeze, talking about the game, and becoming my personal photographer, when his time probably would have been better spent talking to the press. I want to thank Brad Muir for being hilarious, and awesome as hell to hang around with. I want to thank Ron Gilbert for taking time with me, when you were obviously stressed out over preparing for the press event. I want to thank Tim Schafer, who I tried to get a photo with before I left, and ended up getting herded into his office where he, Matt, and I spent about 45 minutes just hanging out, and talking about whatever topic came up. And I want to thank every single person at Double Fine for making me feel so welcome, and for making these great games that enrich our lives so much. Thank you.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

lucky. :snake:

These weren't all of the pictures I took, but these were the only sets that had Double Fine stuff in them. I got this great picture of a restaurant called "Eat Toast", and then got a picture of a guy sitting in the window.....eating toast. I tried to do it nonchalantly, but I started laughing so hard that he noticed me, and started laughing himself. Anyway, San Francisco is just the most amazing place I have ever been to. I intend to go back there as soon as I can.

I remember months back hearing about Double Fine trademarking The Cave through another website, though I didn't frequent these forums at the time. Before it was officially announced I refrained from calling it The Cave to keep from looking silly if they ended up going with a different name, but it seemed obvious from the pre-reveal teasers that it was likely the name for it.

WOW! So you met the legendary game designer, Tim Schafer! Is he awesome live too?

Also I'm glad Ron is back doing adventure games, can't wait to play The Cave!

WOW! So you met the legendary game designer, Tim Schafer! Is he awesome live too?

Also I'm glad Ron is back doing adventure games, can't wait to play The Cave!

He is, yeah. They all were. I don't do well in social situations. I tend to get really nervous, especially if I don't know anyone there, but there was never a moment where I felt self conscious, or like I was bothering someone. They all very much put me at ease.

Dang it, sorry I never said hi OANST, was way too busy setting up for the party. Glad you had an awesome time!

(I was the redheaded/bearded guy that was constantly going from room to room =D )

Dang it, sorry I never said hi OANST, was way too busy setting up for the party. Glad you had an awesome time!

(I was the redheaded/bearded guy that was constantly going from room to room =D )

I almost introduced myself a couple of times, but I could tell that you were crazy busy.

I'm not offended you forgot my name. I forget names all the time. Like. All the time.

I constantly, accidentally, mix up guys names at work.

I'm not offended you forgot my name. I forget names all the time. Like. All the time.

I constantly, accidentally, mix up guys names at work.

I'll remember your name now. Well, that's not true. I won't remember. But I will remember that if I need to find it I can just look in this thread. And then I'll pretend that I remembered it.

Holy junk, that's awesome. Very cool all around. Congrats and hope you had a blast. And kudos to DoubleFine for being friendly with their fans.

I was going to bring everyone at Double Fine boxes of Rice-A-Roni because I had convinced myself that it would be a really funny thing to do. However, shortly before going to the offices I realized that it would not be funny, and that anyone who didn't remember the Rice-A-Roni jingle would just look at me like I was stupid, which I possibly am. So, I didn't do that. Instead, I brought two drawings that were done by my eight year old daughter, and my girlfriend's eight year old son. They made a big deal over loving the art work, although my daughter's, she having genetically received my gift for drawing, was only able to be seen as Brutal Legend characters through the lens of a very active imagination. The important thing was that she loves Brutal Legend, and really wanted to show them that. The awesome Double Fine people seemed to get that.

Brad Muir is a madman, by the way. After exchanging business cards (his idea. I totally did not threaten his life to get him to give me his card), he tried to prank call my work. When no one answered he lost the nerve to leave a nasty message about me, no matter how much I egged him on. I should have stayed longer, and gotten him drunk.

Speaking of staying longer, I can't describe to you how stupid I am. As everything wound down Brad asked if I was going to hang out. I was soooo tired (had been up since 1:00 a.m., and taken two flights totaling seven hours), and kind of jetlagged, and didn't want to overstay my welcome, so I said "Nah, I'm just going to go to sleep". I woke up the next morning, wept into my hands, and screamed "Nah? I'm just going to get some sleep?! Is that what I'm going to do?! Get some sleep?!" before calming myself by going through the awesome bag of awesome that Allison gave me.

God, I'm stupid.

Yes. Yes, I did. I totally didn't scroll up to look at her post on this page. That never happened, and anyone who says different is a liar, and probably just all around a bad person.

Sign in to follow this