Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZeroZilla

Please Let Us 'Like' Things

I know moderating and/or coding for the forums is not anybody's favorite thing to do, but I was hoping y'all would be willing to implement a small (relative to the totality of other possible requests) change, here at the DFA Backers' Forums.

Namely, I'd love to be able to 'like' a comment.

As it stands, the only way to really show appreciation for a particular, individual post (which might not even be on-topic) is to quote the block of text you like, then post a comment. Often, these are simple one-liners like "That was brilliant! Your idea is so good it's like having tequila ice cream fed to me by angels in Dr. Scholl's footwear.'

These only add to the bloat of text and, aside from offering kudos, do not add value to the discussion equivalent to the space they take up. Additionally, in more popular topics, a given quoted reply will not appear for several pages, making it less likely to ever be seen. Also, if I come to a topic several hours/days late, I'm sure to find that someone has already 'appreciated' the post that was insightful, but I cannot add my voice to that gesture without resorting to a lame 'Quote and +1' response. Again, with the useless space taken up in the forum.

In another respect, 'likes' are supremely useful in highlighting the most valuable (and/or hilarious) posts in a given thread.

Would it take worlds being moved to implement this change? Don't you have an intern or somebody that you could sick on this task in their 'spare' time?

Like systems almost always bring along dislikes as well, and dislikes are often used to bury unpopular posts, and sometimes those unpopular posts still have very valid points and should still be seen instead of skimmed past because it has a negative rating.

Basically, I believe that everyone in a forum environment should have an equal voice. Besides, in the forums I've seen with a like/dislike system, people still constantly quote the good posts and just say that the post is good anyway. I don't think much space would be saved on the forum.

Like systems almost always bring along dislikes as well, and dislikes are often used to bury unpopular posts, and sometimes those unpopular posts still have very valid points and should still be seen instead of skimmed past because it has a negative rating.

Space saving on the forum was a somewhat subsidiary part of my request, but I still think the point is valid.

More often, a 'like' button helps quasi-lurkers like myself who will not likely create a response to a thread just to say 'yeah, you're right' (essentially) to someone's post. There are tons of us out there.

Also, you're completely correct. "Dislike" buttons are stupid and are often used as attacks. That's why forums have moderators. If a post is really a violation, it will be removed in harmony with those rules.

Like buttons, but no down voting or dislike buttons.. It's a nice, if kind of slily feedback tool. I enjoy it.

I'd like to show that I agree with you. If only there were some handy tool I could use...

:)

I would be fine with a like button on the following conditions:

1. No dislike button. That's just asking for forum drama.

2. Number of likes doesn't affect the post's sequence or visibility (i.e., don't turn it into Reddit).

3. Number of likes has no effect on forum rank/privileges.

I'd be more into it if it were purely and simply a number. Or if the number didn't even show up on the OPs profile or ID information. If it were just a number that applied to a specific post and then was thereafter forever forgotten, cf. the facebook like, then I'd be cool with that.

But I wouldn't endorse anything that led to the possibility of voting for prom king/queen.

2. Number of likes doesn't affect the post's sequence or visibility (i.e., don't turn it into Reddit).

I'd be more into it if it were purely and simply a number. Or if the number didn't even show up on the OPs profile or ID information. If it were just a number that applied to a specific post and then was thereafter forever forgotten, cf. the facebook like, then I'd be cool with that.

But I wouldn't endorse anything that led to the possibility of voting for prom king/queen.

I agree with all these things. Maybe there could even be badges so you could award people different sorts of 'likes', like a Funny badge, Awesome badge, Super Interesting badge, Insightful badge or whatever it may be. But maybe that's just going TOO FAR.

I agree with all these things. Maybe there could even be badges so you could award people different sorts of 'likes', like a Funny badge, Awesome badge, Super Interesting badge, Insightful badge or whatever it may be. But maybe that's just going TOO FAR.

pancake badge?

Maybe there could even be badges so you could award people different sorts of 'likes', like a Funny badge, Awesome badge, Super Interesting badge, Insightful badge or whatever it may be. But maybe that's just going TOO FAR.

Like TEDtalks!

Or D&D stats..?

*Anemone gains +2 insightfulness, +7 pancakedom

Or it could be like the system Rooster Teeth has (or used to have? haven't been there in a while) where each person on the staff had a badge they could give out for whatever reason they wanted. So you could get the Tim badge, the Anna badge, the Jane badge, the Lee badge, etc.

How you get them? Who knows! Totally up to the distributors! It could be because you said something really funny, or because you gave them a really good idea for lunch, or because your name starts with the letter of their favorite letter person from kindergarten.

But I don't think DF is going to build anything like that anytime soon =P

AnAnemoneInAnonymity has a valid point. Suppose this comes at the expense of the game (content and/or time), would you still ask for this forum feature? Are we looking for simple counter or something more elaborate?

I don't think a badge system would be inherently more difficult than a 'like' system, it would just mean extra variables. Maybe a few icons if they needed graphics, but that wouldn't take long and could even be crowdsourced.

As for having a 'like' system at all, I don't think it would be that much of a resource drain, or indeed necessarily involve DFA people. I think it'd be worth it, it'd give the forum some extra character (as long as it remained a positive thing and never a negative thing)

Dead on!

My typical forums are on Boardgamegeek.com.

There the 'likes' (we call them thumbs, short for 'thumbs up') are just a counter, but with the added ability to see who gave you your kudos. It's nice to be able to look through the list and see who feels the same as you.

AFAIC, this is a great system. They've tweaked it out a bit, over there, and you can also tip and such...but that's because they've got their own currency and they felt like making it as involving as they could (without causing drama).

I just want a counter. A list of 'likers', if you will, would be pure gravy.

Rep system ala Steam or DP/Top Secret forums would work.

I agree its needed though. Plenty of posts I would "Like".

It's a good suggestion, and would be nice to have, but we can't really commit to implementing anything like this right now. Since our forum package doesn't already include this as an option, we'd have to write the feature, and that would take a bunch of time in both implementation and thorough testing. Everyone is pretty busy as it is right now--but it's something to keep in mind going forward!

We Can Make Our Own Like System

This gives me an idea. We don't necessarily need Double Fine to implement it for us. I or someone else could write this up. These forums are private, but that won't be a problem.

I could write a GreaseMonkey script which adds a like button to each post makes a request to my server when a like button is clicked. While the forums are private, I could still easily have a mySQL database on my site with a table having the columns be post_id (from the permalink), and like_count.

When the page is loaded, an iframe could be included on each post with a page from my server displaying the number of likes for that post. Even better would be if just had all the likes for that thread on one page on my server and displayed the likes using AJAX instead of an iframe, but I'm not clear on how cross domain AJAX requests work, or whether they are allowed at all.

Problems

Of course this would be nowhere near ideal. Anyone who wanted to like things would have to find out about my script and add it, learning how to add GreaseMonkey to their browser being part of that. It would be a very unofficial sort of thing, and if multiple people decided to implement something like this the users could become fragmented. If it were hosted on my server, you would also all have to trust me to not take advantage of my powers tamper with likes and dislikes.

I also just realised that I would need to record not just the number of likes, but the people who did the liking, because otherwise someone could like multiple times. This means that while I could make the likes anonymous when displayed on the thread, I would be able to see who liked in my database. The only solution I can think of at the moment is to hash the usernames before the request to my server is made, but while unlikely if I use a very good hash function, there is still the possibility of collisions where user A and user B's usernames have the same hash and therefore when user A likes, user B is no longer able to also like. Furthermore, I might be too lazy to include the hashing.

Or the likes could just be considered not anonymous like on Facebook. That would work.

I Can Do It

Making something like this would be no problem, as far as I can see. If you guys think it's a good idea I could do it. Someone else could do it too, but if you don't give me credit for the idea I'll be sad. I'll also be sad even if you give me credit because I still won't get credit for actually making it, nor would I have the experience of actually making it. I can't start work on it until the weekend though.

The only lingering issue is that I'm not sure how my web hosting provider (I'm not cool enough to actually run my own server) would feel about all this. Anything on my web host needs to actually be part of my website. I guess the solution to that is to actually add a part of my website that allows you to view likes and dislikes on the double fine forums.

Wait. Maybe Not. I Can't Authenticate. Unless...

Hold it! Crap. I just realized I have no way to authenticate users. Well. This was... embarrassing. Unless... I've got it. Instead of sending the request to my server when a like is made, likes could be done through either a private message to a Double Fine account or a post in a Double Fine thread.

Even More Problems

That raises new issues. If private messages are used, my server would need to somehow log into Double Fine forums, parse the messages, and also delete them so that the account doesn't run out of space. I actually don't know how I'd do this using just my web host. Maybe I could do it using Lynx on a unix machine, but I don't have that much power when it comes to my web host's server. It's logging in that's the problem. Maybe it's possible. I've never investigated logging in.

If it's done in a thread it's much more viable. In fact, we could even use the existing polling feature to make things anonymous. This is probably a bad idea too though. If it were used, there would constantly be a thread with no interesting content in some subforum, and it would always be on the first page near the top if this got popular. It might be worse if polls were used. Can polls be edited? If the can't be, we would need probably at least a second thread for each thread which has a like in it, and then multiple poll threads per thread if the number of posts in the thread being liked grows too much.

Conclusions. One Workable Idea. Probably Not Happening.

I hope someone at least finds this interesting. Maybe someone has a better idea. The private message idea still seems viable, but it doesn't seem worth my time. Maybe on a rainy hacking day, but it's probably just a pipe dream.

Executive summary :)

Maybe on a rainy hacking day, but it's probably just a pipe dream.

hmmm... executive summary feature in the forum...

More often, a 'like' button helps quasi-lurkers like myself who will not likely create a response to a thread just to say 'yeah, you're right' (essentially) to someone's post. There are tons of us out there.

Yes, this. (lol, I would 'like' this post if there was a 'like' button!) As long as it doesn't affect visibility of posts.

Like buttons, but no down voting or dislike buttons.. It's a nice, if kind of slily feedback tool. I enjoy it.

I'd like to show that I agree with you. If only there were some handy tool I could use...

:)

Hah! Exactly! No seriously though. I think that's a great feature idea. Who doesn't like "liking" things. Everyone loves their stuff liked. :)

*Thumbs up* and no dislike button, therefore interesting posts get highlighted, I don't trawl through every comment, I don't often have the time.

I know moderating and/or coding for the forums is not anybody's favorite thing to do, but I was hoping y'all would be willing to implement a small (relative to the totality of other possible requests) change, here at the DFA Backers' Forums.

Namely, I'd love to be able to 'like' a comment.

As it stands, the only way to really show appreciation for a particular, individual post (which might not even be on-topic) is to quote the block of text you like, then post a comment. Often, these are simple one-liners like "That was brilliant! Your idea is so good it's like having tequila ice cream fed to me by angels in Dr. Scholl's footwear.'

These only add to the bloat of text and, aside from offering kudos, do not add value to the discussion equivalent to the space they take up. Additionally, in more popular topics, a given quoted reply will not appear for several pages, making it less likely to ever be seen. Also, if I come to a topic several hours/days late, I'm sure to find that someone has already 'appreciated' the post that was insightful, but I cannot add my voice to that gesture without resorting to a lame 'Quote and +1' response. Again, with the useless space taken up in the forum.

In another respect, 'likes' are supremely useful in highlighting the most valuable (and/or hilarious) posts in a given thread.

Would it take worlds being moved to implement this change? Don't you have an intern or somebody that you could sick on this task in their 'spare' time?

Conceptart.org has this implemented pretty nicely. Right below your post, you will see the names of all the people who have liked your comment and you will see the total number of liked comments you have received so far on any of your posts.

I'm really opposed to like features. They encourage, and worsen existing cases of, mobbing. This isn't a problem on these forums, thankfully, but I wouldn't want anything which even hinted towards it.

Sign in to follow this