Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
endoskeleton

is the cave running on brutal legend tech?

i assume it's some extension of it, like i assume the same for costume quest, stacking and trenched, but this may not be the truth. but i'm curious. after reading a programming update in the backer forum i thought maybe the project had started life before gilbert's hiring and maybe it made more sense to continue as is than ease it into a foreign codebase. seems unlikely, but i'd like to know either way

It is, yes. It's using the most modern incarnation of our internal 3D engine, which was originally written for BL.

The physics, level layouts and art style all resemble LittleBigPlanet's. These levels almost look like they could have been built using LBP's level editor (or at least the level editor the developers used, since the art is pretty sophisticated.) Have any tools from LittleBigPlanet been licensed?

The physics, level layouts and art style all resemble LittleBigPlanet's. These levels almost look like they could have been built using LBP's level editor (or at least the level editor the developers used, since the art is pretty sophisticated.) Have any tools from LittleBigPlanet been licensed?

I'm sure they use their brutal legend engine for this and the tools they have for it.

/\

l

This.

It would be silly to develop an entirely different engine for a game that could re-use the old stuff. Brutal Legend only took what, three years? Five? Can't remember..

I like how the game look like so far. It's got that unplacable common factor that it share with Psychonauts and BL in terms of graphics.

It’s got that unplacable common factor that it share with Psychonauts and BL in terms of graphics.

You're probably detecting double-fineyness rather than technology. Psychonauts used a one-off engine and toolset; there are a few drips and drabs of Psychonauts code in Brütal Legend, but nothing significant.

Sign in to follow this