Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BaddestEver

Challenge: Survival without Trench Weapons -or- Rippers only

We've been randomly attempting the whole 100% settlement thing once every few weeks, but I'm in the mood for another unconventional challenge. A challenge that requires a greater need for pre-planning and a whole lot of communication when it comes to emplacement location/order. I was thinking of trying of the survival maps without trench weapons OR an easier variant would be to use rippers only. Another variant somewhere in the middle would be to use (insert crappy weapon here) only.

Even with rippers only it'd be pretty hard, but you'd be able to at least counterbalance the low trench DPS with billions of emplacements.

The true challenge would be playing without trench weapons at all, in which surviving the first 10 waves would be a challenge in itself. I'm not sure if settlement would be possible because of how spread the map is. Hospital should be fun, or maybe even swamp.

Let's do it?

I can't picture surviving settlement w/out trench weapons at all...How much scrap can 4 shredders make to be able to build a sniper in time for the vault dropper??? Admiral archies only really hit the vault dropper around the base of the aerial spawn and the green decoy (that i know of). Would smashing legs count as weapons, for that matter???? Then again, a dampener and a few shredders would make some sweet scrap off of the arty......this notion is insane. i like it. i doubt 100 could be done b/c of the jacobs in the end....it'd be a miracle if mines took out all of them li'l jerks on one of them 'we're gonna give you a ridiculous amount of jacobs' waves.

BTW.....much respect for perfect base health on swamp! It surprises me how many people that play this didn't hear about that. I watched most of the video for it that was uploaded on youtube. i had to mute the clubby music, though.

I don't know if Settlement would be possible.. I mean it's hard enough without a ripper let alone no guns. Doesn't mean I ain't down like Charlie Brown though. Swamp maybe possible and Hospital would just be a good start lol.

I can't picture surviving settlement w/out trench weapons at all...How much scrap can 4 shredders make to be able to build a sniper in time for the vault dropper??? Admiral archies only really hit the vault dropper around the base of the aerial spawn and the green decoy (that i know of). Would smashing legs count as weapons, for that matter???? Then again, a dampener and a few shredders would make some sweet scrap off of the arty......this notion is insane. i like it. i doubt 100 could be done b/c of the jacobs in the end....it'd be a miracle if mines took out all of them li'l jerks on one of them 'we're gonna give you a ridiculous amount of jacobs' waves.

BTW.....much respect for perfect base health on swamp! It surprises me how many people that play this didn't hear about that. I watched most of the video for it that was uploaded on youtube. i had to mute the clubby music, though.

No disrespect but-

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

Impossible is but a sauce applied atop the pancakes eaten by the challenge-accepters-in-this-here-forum.

All rippers sounds pretty okay, no weapons is gonna have a LOT more mines and maybe even some mortars O_O

I see a lot of unconventional things that I do sometimes really emerging from this. And by that I mean things you do with your trench and not your guns. A good example is blocking BWs.. But you can delay Tommys and Aerials by standing near them which would help tremendously.. Also you can save turrets from Bursts by standing in front of them kind of becoming a Burat trap yourself. You might be able to do this with Amps too by standing in front of their beams. Early wave breakers would absolutely demolish us without artillery.

It would have to be planned and replanned. And then replanned and replanned. Finally, it'll have to be replanned.

Replanned.

Technically, I am new here. I'm here b/c I love this game and I'm looking for people on my level or better than me, so I can get better.

I could tell by the post count and join date, I was just jokin' around because the challenge crew around here is pretty dang good. Compared to no orange turrets I think this one isn't as bad, still #(%*in insane and sounds fun, but not as bad in MY EYES. (maybe I just think no orange is harder than it is x3)

There's really only one thing that makes a no orange run NEAR impossible: The Volt Dropper/Snipe Tuner/Blitzers/Tommies with Jacobs wave type. That wave type seriously took took ~30% of our base health EVERY time it occurred. It's a good thing it only happened 3 times. We were left with maybe ~5% base health when we finished. I would still to this day say it was impossible if I hadn't witnessed the end of wave 100 firsthand.

This, on the other hand could be equally as hard, but in a completely different way. Especially with no trench weapons. The setup would have to be flawless, and literally cover every angle a Jacob could possibly protect from. There's no room for error because we'd have absolutely no way to control where damage is being dealt.

Also, nothing would suck worse than 4 unarmed trenches watching as 2+ Jacobs slowly take down the base because nothing anywhere is going to do anything to stop them.

Since you guys like insane challenges so much....how about 4 selker I's on settlement? I play hospital with a selker I solo for practice when I get bored...its always tough to decide between damps or pods. I'd like to get good enough to bring a selker I in on any match with anyone.

You won't be saying that when we trap you on the ship!

*chuckles*.....my gamertag is on my profile, i'd like to play

I'm on most evenings from 7-10PM UTC-5. Look me up and send me a game invite. If I'm not already in a game, I'll probably join you. I'm always happy to play with someone who has a mic.

I haven't played in awhile and have been a bum more than usual lately so hopefully I can get in on some silly challenge action.

How about doing a settlement run with 4 hammers... All loaded with rippers? No engineer bonus... Only 1 Hammer with PSTs... One with MM, One with Cluster Mortars, the last Hammer has to sport LASER TURRETS...

Challenging enough???

Sign in to follow this