Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

Note that I'm NOT looking at anyone else's ideas before I write this, so don't worry if there are some duplicate idea(s) here.

Inside a sun.

Scotland (honestly, who doesn't like crumbling castles and green grass all 'round!). I love crumbling ruins - something that looked like it came from a once great civilization - and I can wonder about that civilization - name? When did they 'fall'? Etc. etc....

A monstrously large cave, where you can't see the bottom of it (pure blackness). The stalactites hanging from the ceiling have grown so large that a village has been built onto / into it.

- The warehouse where the tooth fairy keeps all the teeth;

- Easter bunny's workshop, with all his Chicken Little Helpers;

- Before the Big-bang; and during it;

- Inside the Trojan Horse.

At least one of these (or something similar) was already mentioned, but anyways:

- a place where everyone has only one sense (smell, touch/feel, see, hear), but none of the others. Or where the senses are distributed in another fashion (ie. one group can see and smell, the other can feel and hear, etc.)

How about they can 'share' senses when they are holding hands? That concept alone just SCREAMS a clever puzzle game, where how you link up senses (to few, too many?) impacts the puzzle solving.

A cave...

A HUNTED MANSION. Many ghosts in every floor. There are so many dead people in the same house for some ridiculous reason. Each ghost has a story. You have to find the ultimate ghost boss or something.

Mmm... wait. It's about a boy and a girl, isn't it? Mmm... maybe... just freewriting here now... bear with me... mmm... yeah, it could work, boy and girl, the only two humans in the hunted mansion looking for something.

I like this idea.

It has to rain a lot. Thunderghosts!

Oh boy. I can already read the press release in my mind: "Double fine adventure named: THUNDERGHOSTS!"

Hi, here some ideas. Excuses for my English, I'm from Barcelona, but i'm sure that you understand the ideas.

-A forest where the plants or the trees only grow candies.

-A chosen spot of Backer's houses of different places around the world. The backers can send a picture.

-Inside a classic horror movie set. Like The mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein, Te Wolfman, Nosferatu…

-Inside the Darth Vader's Brain.

-In Cicely, the town of Northern Exposure.

-Inside the red room of Twin Peaks.

-In childhood memories of Tim Schafer and the creators of the game.

Chinese Ghost-City

Mercury

Intercontinental Highway

Where does coffee come from?

Dream Airport (Dreamport?)

For the first one, think more hastily constructed and recently finished empty, not necessarily abandoned.

That's all I've got - there's a lot of creativity in this thread.

Inside a cell or an atom.

Point of view from a crab living off the hot vents at the bottom of the ocean

Inside of a computer's circuitry

Matrix style where we see the lines of code and have to explore the software

Point of view of a parrot sitting in a cage

-The World of You- Everyone in it is some incarnation of You. Female you, male you, child you, angry you,.. whatever.

-World of repressed feelings. No one shows emotions.. puzzles could be making people admit how they feel.

-Candyland----you can never go wrong with Candyland.. MMMMMM delicious Heath bars. A jail with Heath Bars?

-World of Dragons that have people as familiars/pets.

.........and I'm done. ;-)

This is pretty great! Apologies if I'm posting some that have been already.

Inside a giant's pocket

On a giant's dinner table

Really, a "giant world" in general would be a great place for jokes and puzzles

The literal edge of the world

A dystopian society in which bees have replaced people

An octopus' garden

The world inside a dictionary

The world of forms (Wikipedia)

A basket of kittens

Ragnarok!

The Jurassic era

Big Apple, 3 AM

Between three hot-dog stands locked in a tense cold war and condiments arm race

A fantasy world in which fast food mascots gather armies and wage epic war

The opposite sex's bathroom

-The Land of Adults as anticipated by kids

I love this one.

-I think something abstract scene like in LSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSD_(video_game))

-abandoned city (not ruined) see LSD's city for idea what it should be like (PS. don't touch the chicks in the city that thing what happened to them kinda freaked me out)

-free falling without parachute

-on water tower

-in cattle ranch

-inside a truck

-in Nemesis (planed)

-in the center of universe

-inside movie screen.

House of Leaves

A house/place that changes when your back is turned. Rooms and hallways that are larger on the inside than they are on the outside. A mysterious hallway that didn't exist before, leading to... a labyrinth? Something sinister?

It's not quite M.C. Escher, but similar.

Ever since reading House of Leaves I've wanted to see this idea pulled off in a game.

All of these has probably been done before

- A world that slowly melts.

- Some place with many moons.

- Little prince's small world type of concept. (I had seen it before, but I always like it).

- A single moment in time (maybe a minute in length) that keeps repeating

- A world where people only tell lies

- The end of the internet

- Sparta

- An Olive Garden

I've always had a soft spot for the "TV land" clichè (you know, the main character getting involved in old movies, game shows or Saturday morning cartoons as somebody keeps changing channels), but perhaps a "Through-the-old-PC-monitor Land" could be awesome if done properly (putting words together in a huge MS-DOS black "field" of white letters, in order to load a program that would be the next room, trying to escape the PC through means of an external storage device, etc).

- The solar plates of a space satellite.

- The insides of a smart phone.

- The back of a flying pig!!

- The brainstorming room of DF Headquarters.

- An ukranian grocery store.

- Afghanistan 2011.

- An igloo city, with thousands of citizens.

- Barcelona.

- Middle School.

- A CD records store.

- An internet forum flame war.

A modern day city done in a style of a medieval painting and everyone speaks in Ye Olde English.

A bizarre world where many different things and objects from different time periods and cultures are mixed together and the world keeps constantly changing around the player.

Place that is constructed by playing Mad Libs. The player can choose different words and all these change up the next part of the game.

Ok, I think I have a few. Thank me later, Tim!

- A future world where aging has been cured, but overpopulation has led to gradual ramshackle expansions to existing architecture one room at a time to where cities effectively be come one large building, and the old streets of our time are now effectively indoors, with a canopy of pipes and wires running utilities to wherever they can reach. See Kowloon Walled City for possible reference material:

kowloon-walled-city-rubbish-alley.jpg

- The world's largest office; a sprawling, seemingly endless maze of cubicles that stretches as far as the eye can see.

- A mime convention. With mime puzzles.

- A world where the disparate flow of time from our world is exaggerated to the point of being visible to the naked eye. Time puzzles!

- An island built on the back of a giant penguin named Slippy.

- A Jell-O maz-- ah, shit.

Ha-ha-ha! Now I will use all those ideas and will get rich! I will put every idea from this thread in a game and it will be better then Tim's game which will only have few of those and they'll not be new because I will use them first! Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

On a giant game board (like chess or whatever) in the overgrown Mayan empire where warriors once acted as pawns in the games of the nobles...

-I'd like to see an electron in an electron world. It'll be funny because every electron is identical to every other electron, and it's the way they interact that change what they'll made.

-The universe itself seen from a(some) very big creature(s) who don't know that "life" exists. Maybe they must be immortal, stuck in the same condition forever, until they discover it (the life/the time).

-An underwater world. A society grown in the darkness which developed a colorful submerged world

colorful darkness.jpg

578d00221cffb_colorfuldarkness.jpg.6edf5

A world where the events/things we find boring are fun, and things we find fun are boring. Examples:

-People have jobs they hate but we would find fun.

-Local transit is replaced with zip lines and slides.

-People work all day at their boring jobs like filming cat videos, playing video games, sky diving, roller coaster riding,

-People can't wait to get out of work and catch the latest episode of the most exciting and entertaining shows like Transcendental Calculus, a show where a man derives calc equations for an hour, or Accounting.

-There would have to be some reason why people had to work the "fun" jobs.

- Landing zone on the moon to ride the buggy

- inside a fish bowl

- a pinball machine

- the twilight zone

A Recycling Plant

A Smelter

A Foundry

A Waste Processing Plant

Inside a map inside an atlas.

Inside a turtle shell.

Inside a wall (aka mice holes).

Inside a book.