Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

- Locked in at a mall at night

- On the conveyor belt of a completely automated factory being pushed around by the machines

- Inside a big space ship that crash-landed in a large building. Everything might be tilted or upside-down and you are able to leave and enter the ship through several broken windows or gaps ending up in different levels of the building

- An island populated by two different nationalities which hate each other and have wars and conflicts but you can't tell the difference between them even if you try really hard so you keep sincerely wondering what is the difference all through the level and you never get an answer.

- A city in a Russian nowhere where communism is turned out great and everybody's happy though they don't know about the rest of the world and outsider can spoil everything.

- An underground computing facility which is simulating entire universe and some people think that it actually simulates the universe we're in right now so robot-scientists that work there trying their best to not let it stop.

- A future where human's brain can be extracted and put into any body/robot/simulation/animal so people are abandoning their brainless bodies, and these bodies have their own village where they do all their brainless activities like watching commercials, playing lotteries, shopping, taking photos of themself shopping and posting them to facebook.

- A five-story London house full of elderly British people that somehow ended up on other planet (or hell/heaven) but nobody of residents noticed and if you tell them, they just think it's a joke. The TVs in the house are showing weird stuff but everybody doesn't care.

Inside a coffee machine where some thousand little people make coffee out of the coffee beans.

Getting out of a day care centre as a guinea pig.

walking on sunshine.

Walking through the drain pipes inside a house

Dante’s Inferno.

This was my first thought.

Heaven/Hell (Hell is basically a Fire Level..) DoH!

Mountain hideout, like "The Eagle's Nest" (accessible only by cable car, or a SERIOUS climb)

Rooftop with arched windows (my favourite location in DOTT)

Hilltop with a great view, like the one in MI1 (..and while we're at it, I'd really like the option of doing morally questionable actions that's not vital to the progress of the game - like the sinking of the SeaMonkey in MI1 - and maybe have a little reward of some sort after the end credits (also in MI1!)

Penthouse top floor hotel room in an 'All included' luxury spa

Rotating tower restaurant

Err.. Ice level? No, wait! Interlinked Treetop Cabins! ..or maybe the insides of a LARGE hollowed out Redwood Tree.

On the branches of a Christmas Tree - like Chip n' Dale on that Disney Christmas Special.

Early nineties Beverly Hills Studio Apartment

A seedy Funfair in Norway on the 17th of May (the national day)

In the backseat of a Police Car

A soccer game in London

Assuming that this is still a coming of age story, it would be cool if there was a sequence where both protagonists were dreaming, presumably of meeting each other again, and in their dreaming their cerebral theaters crosses paths. I.E. both characters having the same dream.

A world whose physical properties are governed by a dyslexic person with synesthesia.

The other side of the universe

A place where double headed babies are the norm and are "double fine" *snicker*

Harry Potter, add Jersey Shore. Winning combo.

A blank world that is shaped by the player's actions (a la your black velvet painting... a true tabula rasa). There are no lies, no war, no hunger, nothing. Then, a user might accidentally introduce certain addictive qualities in the world (maybe he/she needs an item - they can steal it, introducing lies, pay for it, introducing greed, or ask for it nicely, introducing compassion/niceness). When they leave they can be shown what the world becomes, possibly even impacting the end of the story. Also, maybe the actions of one character could have an effect on the other somehow?

Viewing the world from the point of view of a mouse. Help him get the cheese without getting hit with the broom, perhaps?

A dream world where the user "dreams up" (draws?) everything they need to make their way around.

- A land of mushy melted ice ( in between the fire and ice level). In fact seriously there's the potential with the story to have two worlds, isn't there? so I wonder what an in between place would look like.

- A set of stairs that keeps climbing from the ground to the sky, with different increasingly strange people on each floor.

- A land of seemingly endless doors and keys none of which seem to match .

- A playground in the stars ( it's hard to use the swings because of the gravity).

- An old man living in the desert in an old crashed space rocket.

Something else:

A world where the laws of physics are governed by an equation on a blackboard in one particular room.

A world where I can modify the physics by changing equations.

A world without sliced bread.

But... what would go in its place? I mean, what else fits in the phrase "Best thing since _________"???? My head hurts. Sounds kinda like a new forum topic.

Anti-Murphy's world, where anything that can go right, will go right! (Or some other permutation) :)

I was gonna suggest both a Murphy's Law world and the opposite :)

- An Internet Forum

I once had a dream where I was in this big void (for want of a better word) just black nothing that you can float about in, and scattered about are floating things like buildings and all kinds of detritus. It was a great dream! So I'm suggesting that!

- A world where you can shapeshift but only into animals outside of their natural habitat. (i.e. if you're in water you can shapeshift into a bird, but not a fish.)

- A world without doors.

- A world with nothing but doors.

- Pirate bay: pirates but with 1 and 0's as their loot

- Abandoned Sketch show studio: similar to a show today (sounds nothing like a level based in a theatre)

- Alternate Universe: Have an alternate universe for some areas, where the characters act differently so can help complete puzzles.

- Outback Australia: aka Outhouse and Pub, nothing else exists out there.

- 80's game arcade: 80's style game arcade, abandoned except for the one guy still going for that high score.

- Edible world: self explanatory

- Genetically mutated food: food has been genetically mutated to a point where it is now alive.

- Game of chess: life size game of chess where the pieces actually fight, similar to in harry potter

- Private catholic school: with all the secret stuff that occurs

- Sperm bank: i'll let you think about that

- Colour blind world: everything is colours so that colour blind people can see it, but looks weird for everyone else

- Based within a god world: something (god) is trying to control you. Make you look at the player as another god to the world

- Player is a god: characters come to the screen and make observations that it is the user controlling everything.

- Lab test: you are part of an experiment, potentially run by outside beings (double fine) rather than in game characters. Can change what happens through updates every so often, or randomize it.

- Truman game: likes the Truman show, except maybe its the devs watching the players.

-Tim Schafer's Brain

-In a notebook

-The beginning of time

-The end of time

-Inside a Zeppelin

-Outside a Zeppelin

-The Future as envisioned by the 1940s

-A lumber mill

-Hell (a version that is just like real life but instead filled with all the jerks that made it into hell)

Or maybe you can just try mixing and matching places and see what you get, San Francisco mixed with China did pretty well for Blade Runner.

Trying to be creative is tough. Good Luck Schafer.

- An adventure game inside an adventure game

- The Fluffy Puffy Ice Rink of Doom

- Hamsterdam

- The kitchen in the royal palace in Norway

- At the Ryan Seacrest fan convention

- Cotswold

Well, I was going to look through all the other replies first to make sure I didn't say anything anyone else had thought of but then I noticed there were 17 pages so... yeah. Anyway, here goes (apologies if anyone came up with these already):

The edge of reality,

Bed World,

Smoke World (hey, if you can have Ice and Fire),

Inside the eye of a needle,

The Mary Celeste,

Inside a magician's hat,

A glass office building,

Olympus Mons (either on top of it, inside it or on the way up),

an Oil Rig way out to sea,

a Labyrinth or Maze.

On set of an Alien cookery show.

Primal Scream therapy retreat for Ventriloquists.

Heaven that looks like Hell, Hell that looks like Heaven.

Parallel Universe where emotional inflections are shuffled.

-A flipped Heart of Darkness, set in a business district, with roving tribes of office workers and accountants living amongst the concrete megaliths.

-A world frozen in time, but where substantial numbers of people have become unstuck, and are eking out an existence maneuvering around the single moment everything froze.

-The world of a third-party solipsist, where everything he doesn't pay attention to ceases to exist.

-A world with a vertical horizon.

-A civilization developed in the long fall down a bottomless pit.

-A suburban neighborhood where every day everyone switches places.

-Inside a Persian carpet, an intricate, perfect world save for a single intentional flaw.

-A 3-year-old's understanding of the world.

-A newborn's understanding of the world. All abstract, briefly defined entities.

-A retreat for vigilantes.

-A dinner party for the incarcerated.

-A world made entirely out of laundry.

-Inside a pillow, (next to all the other dust mite.)

-Under a bed/inside a closet, (among monsters and other queer things.)

-Day in a life as a spam blocker @ "NotMail.bom"

-World of watch physics; the taller you are, the faster you run laps...

-A world where fire-hydrants squirt water on dogs.

Fun exercise, and love the idea of a bizarre game in the midst. We don't have enough bizarre around.

edit:

adding a few more...

-A world where everybody hates bacon, (or prefer veggie bacon).

-Norway. have to add my country to my list :)

-An alien planet where habitation have evolved into something practical for their environment. (Seriously if you are more evolved than regular humans why did your kind turn green and loose a finger? How is that practical if your stuff is more or less our stuff +1000 years from now?)

-An alien planet where though the habitation have bizarrely shaped bodies they have designed and constructed an environment that is practical and logical for their body shapes not needing to evolve into a regular humanoid bipedal shape to be most effective. Kind of like "the future" in DoTT, but even more tailored for the aliens; not having reminiscence of the environment being more suited for humans at one point.

MC Escher land or world.

A world in which staircases are everywhere, strange tessellations abound, impossible buildings exist and lots of half drawn hands drawing the world around you.

A turn-of-the-century newspaper

The center of the Earth

The dryer lint dimension

A classroom in the year 3000 teaching horribly inaccurate information about the present day

Newfoundland

This seems like a pretty amusing creative exercise, and it's always fun to contribute ideas for the game. Guess I'll give it a go.

-A world where time is broken (e.g. stuff from all parts of that worlds history are strewn about; time is faster in some places and totally stopped in others; etc.)

-A digitally augmented world (like, everything is grey and boring in actuality, but you can superimpose different themes like tropical, futuristic, ice level, etc. on it through special goggles or implants or something)

-A world where humans are the size of ants when compared to a much larger sentient species that sees them as pests

-A world where everyone is so content with things the way they are that they treat any and all outsiders as monsters just for tipping the status quo with their existence

-A world where everyone has Histrionic Personality Disorder

-A world where ghosts are the dominant species

-A world that exists inside an author's writings--only the author is still writing and revising things while you're in there

-A world where robots came first, and they later invented people

-A world where dreams are a commodity

-A world that's been on fire--not just "hot," but straight-up on fire--for millennia, where life has adapted to exist in such an environment.

-A world wherein I don't get called in for jury duty at the worst possible time

Apologies if some ideas already taken:

Inside a musical instrument, namely a woodwind of some kind. I lean toward the saxophone. -- A scenario could include a conductor or original creator of a song currently being played would have to guide you out. Could provide humor (ah, we must be in X's sax, he always misses that part -- bastard.)

On the back of a rat who carried the black death plague. Funny fact: It wasn't a rat in the traditional sense. It turns out the rat in question was a mammoth who left a path of death in his wake ...

In a world of oscillating fans (Do all of you oscillate? Yeah, but Jimmy over there doesn't ... we don't talk to jimmy).

symbiotic relationship of the chair/bench people and the overweight suburban mall shopper -- people.

On the graph line of the Facebook IPO ... huur

In a world ... with people who only talk like theyre promoting action/adventure films ... in a world

On the set of The View. You're the cameraman tasked with applying lens and lighting filters. How many will it take for Barbara Walters' camera?

A world full of inanimate objects at war. You walk through the "carnage" with objects in full war garb. It could be disingenuous to actual soldier and worn-torn countries, maybe if it's presented with a somber bomb.

------

Even in a small way, I'm glad I was able to contribute creatively to DFA.

-A world made entirely out of laundry.

This... I like this. But can there be some washing machines too?

Sign in to follow this