Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

OOOOoo~

You know how when you sometimes keep stuff in the back of the Refrigerator for more than a couple weeks and you forget about it, only to find it much later and see it almost take a life on its own?

There should totally be a level of an abandoned Refrigerator that has grown into its own ecosystem.

OOOOoo~

You know how when you sometimes keep stuff in the back of the Refrigerator for more than a couple weeks and you forget about it, only to find it much later and see it almost take a life on its own?

There should totally be a level of an abandoned Refrigerator that has grown into its own ecosystem.

I like it, kinda reminds me of:

I'm fed up of all these inside a painting when the wole thing/mostly is going to be hand drawn/painted. you forced me in to this

-inside a photo

(all game sprites are made from photos of real objects on greenscreen. eithe real people or some model if you made it a photo of double fine offices you already have the location and characters. )

Rorschach inkblot test

Lunatic asylum

Inception movie

Mirrorland

North Pole

Place that can not be imagined

Double Fine office

Free Write land where everything brought to alive when you think or write something

a place where no one can talk. they can only use body language

And of course i want to go back to the mansion ;)

Ice level. No, hear me out. It's on Jupiter's moon Europa. We go into the supposed ocean under it. There are bioluminescent plants and animals, a new world, albeit without swimming glowing yetis.

I'm really digging this idea. Imagine all the new and weird species you could find on Europa, the moon that orbits around Jupiter. You could take a submarine down to the bottom and find a colony of hyper-advanced race of mermen/mermaids.

the inside of a machine

a shipwreck under water

Austria( no game plays in present austria xD)

an Japanese style level with temepels and toris and so forth

I love levels where you become miniature in a giant world:

On top of a child's birthday party table

Inside a fridge

A game Developer's desk

A printed circuit board

Mini Europe

Flea market

Farm on a cloud in the sky where they cultivate seashells

an Aztec steampunk chocolate factory in the 14-15th century

-Inside Schrodinger's cat box.

-At an Alternate Universe Shopping Centre (that is, where you can shop for alternate realities, not just an ordinary shopping centre in an alternate universe :-) ).

-Flying while sitting on a cottonwood seed.

-Old appliances ghost town.

-Trapped inside a book (trying to escape the story..).

during a clash between protesters and riot police with the charater's goal totally unrelated

inside a brain scanner where you need the scan results to be something.

during a tsunami

- Playground (swings, sand and all that)

- As shadows on a projected screen

- Holo-projection room

- A level with seasons or/and day and night? (or why not a world that has an ice and a lava season... tempting I know!)

- A space between two (or several) countries' boarders

- A bus (or some other commuting vehicle)

- 1984-ish country

- Traffic control room

- Hospital (examination or delivery room perhaps?)

- At a physical stock market (I imagine it something like stock market cartoon )

- Inside a talking cave! oh wait that one was taken ;)

Top of Mount Everest

crypts under the streets of Rome

NASA

Antarctica

Inside the Mind of a Genius/crazy person/criminal...

Double Fine Studios

Inside the Street Art Paintings of Banksy

Yikes! Late to this party! Props to Tim if he actually read through all of these! Anyway, here's some stuff I was kicking around while I was at work.

1. Glass Menagerie\Music box Theme

The reason I feel like it might be a good theme to base a world on is mostly influenced by a childhood memory of when one of my sisters collected music boxes and musical wind up toys. She had all kinds of them, and most of them were pretty standard: jewelry boxes with twirling ballerinas inside, etc.

But she had this ONE that was sort of magical and spooky... it was a sort of tiny circular stage about six inches in diameter and made completely out of mirror glass, and on top of it was a glass menagerie of a translucent girl dancing amidst a bunch of translucent swans. When you wound it up and let it play, it slowly rotated and played

It was very Edward Scissorhands! Only I hadn't seen that movie yet! What made it the creepiest/magicalest thing of all though was that late at night, while we were all lying quietly in our beds, it would sometimes start playing on its own. It was old, so probably its gears were just coming loose or something, but it was creepy all the same.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I picture a world in that space... a fragile world of sculptures and architecture formed out of mirror and glass. I feel like it would be a very beautiful place, but also a sort of unsettling place, like walking amidst the statues in the White Witch's castle.

Since the idea is based on a wind-up music box, maybe any inhabitants you found there, or maybe even pieces of the environment, would

. So you get a world that is mechanical, but not the typical steampunk stuff. It's fragile and delicate.

There is of course the risk of making it look like AN ICE LEVEL.

But there is no snow or ice crystals or frozen things here. Everything is very perfectly and purposefully sculpted. The way you would interact with it would be different. Instead of having to solve problems that relied on the old melt/unmelt or slide/don't slide sorts of problems, you could have the player redirect light or shatter glass. Maybe for one puzzle you turn a mirror into a door by facing two mirrors at each other to create a hall of mirrors, which proves to be a hallway to a new location.

Okay, I've written paragraphs about this idea, so maybe I'll just share one idea for now, haha.

A snowy desert/a burning hot north pole

Inside of the earth's core

At the deepest place in the sea

On (journey to the moon's) the moon's eye

In a quantum entanglement

In parallel

In a surrealist's environment

Getting a baby to sleep

In Gluecifer's lap

Under the brooklyn bridge

On top of the tallest pole of an existing bridge

Behind the waterfall, in a secret lair

In a ruined NY/Paris years after some mass eviction happened

In an enacted scene from the civil war

Inside of a brewery, hot and muggy with large copper vessels and a maze of pipes and valves. Also the overpowering smell of yeast.

Mars which is populated by alien contractors who are employed by a galactic tourist board to keep it painted red, like the guys who paint the golden gate bridge and by the time they reach the end of it they have to start again because it takes so long.

Inside the panels of a comic strip where you have to help the hero defeat the villain.

A world where everyone travels by bouncing on trampolenes.

A hot sauce factory where the sauce is made inside the crater of a volcano so it is quite literally hot

A 19th century London Shipyard on the Thames where a ship similar to the SS Great Eastern is being built

A night city with typical places (diners, supermarkets, subway, etc.), but with lots of weird things and urban legends come to life: monsters behind garbage cans, portals to other worlds behind the supermarket shelves, hidden treasures, criminal conspiracies, ghost subway trains, etc. Something in the style of the movie 1408 or David Lynch, but with the unique LucasArts-ish atmosphere.

Being from Lapland myself, I would love to see scenery like this in a video game. Brutal Legend's snow environments weren't that far from this, actually...

588-river-scenery-Lapland.jpg

Look at all the dusky sky fans in this thread!

One of these worlds better have a dusky sky, I guess.

Wouldn't mind northern lights either. And hey, how about an apocalyptic comet shining in the sky in vein of Comet in Moominland?

4313.jpg

You should get this book for you daughter if you haven't already, Tim!

How about a slug brothel?

Or an entire world contained within a public swimming pool?

Or an alternate universe where clothes wear people for comfort and style?

Inside a pond would be fun. With frogs and flies and lillies and fish and a little waterfall feature or something. But giant as presumably you'd be scaled down in size. And maybe the owners of the pool could decide they don't want a pool in their garden any more late in the level and start to try to clear it out, ripping out the weeds and draining the water and getting rid of the inhabitants.

posting this before I sleep,

The bottom of Grand Canyon. All canyon scenes I've seen in video games is on the ridge, but none that I recall being at the bottom.

A large bustling city on the literal edge of the earth which drops off into Space.

A planet that is a perfect hollow sphere whose inhabitants live on the inside, not knowing of the space outside.

A fungus based forest where upright turtles farm flowers and fly giant beetles. They tell of the end of days when the "jumper of doom" will arrive out of a giant green tube that spouts out from the netherworld.

- The sunless (under)world of the lanternheads

-> Oh and with those vile carnivorous plants that bait their prey like those pesky deep sea anglerfish

- Two desolate and distressing grey rocks in the void, slowly orbiting each other

-> And on each one lives an old long bearded hermit that hates his counterpart, or maybe the rocks are just full of grey furry guinea pig-like animals... or not

A planet that is a perfect hollow sphere whose inhabitants live on the inside, not knowing of the space outside.

It's an awesome idea, although technically something meeting that exact description was done in Terranigma (SNES), otherwise known as Illusion of Gaia 3.

Here's a video some guy made. Occasionally it shows the worldmap from inside the earth (the bit that looks like rock/ice/lava), which is conspicuously concave. You start the game living in a village (naturally) on the concave inner part of the earth, and your hero journey takes you out of your village, but then out of the earth's crust to explore the convex outter parts of the earth.

P.S. One of the best RPGs ever, for serious.

Lost cities: http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/archaeology/photos/lost-cities/

at a tibetan festival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_festivals

Inside a mandala: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala (especially a tibetan vajrayana one)

Inspired by Shakespeare:

Town, forest: A Midsummer Night's Dream: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Midsummer_Night's_Dream

Island : The Tempest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tempest

Inspired by P.G. Wodehouse:

Blandings Castle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandings_Castle

-A land where everybody thinks or acts like they're in a musical. Singing dialog puzzles ahoy!

-Dentist world

-Cubicle World, an eternal purgatory where everybody is stuck in office hell.

-Fad/Meme graveyard - The place where fads and memes go to die.

-Forumworld/Youtube Comments land - A land where everybody acts like stereotypical youtube commentators or forum denizens.

-Tree world, no, not like Endor, like the entire worldd is shaped like a tree. Cities are leaves, continents branches, something like that.

-Probably not appropriate for a humorous game, but I'd really like to see more games set in 1940s France.

-A land where somebody's status or worth is determined by something ridiculous that nobody talks about. Cue puzzle opportunity to figure it out!

-Rhyme/meter land. A land where everybody speaks in some manner of rhyme or meter. Perhaps the main character gets in trouble because he doesn't speak in a vlid legally recognized form.

-8 bit/retro land.

-Perpetual disco world

-Narrator World - An omniscient narrator sees all and narrates everything in the world. Could be sinister, could be lonely. Alternatively, everybody speaks as if narrating their own story.

-A world inhabited entirely with people who all look like one of two people (one male, one female)

-Stereotype world, everybody must conform to a stereotype or face some kind of consequence.

-Narcissus world, to the perception of everybody present on the world, everybody else looks exactly like them, but nobody knows this. To the player, everybody would look the same as the player, to the NPC, the player would look like them. This could be revealed when the other main character shows up on this world and suddenly everybody now looks like them.

-An area that looks like a prison, but turns out to be some kind of super exclusive resort.

A house with a crazy cat lady, who's actually a giant anthropomorphic cat that has a hundred humans in her house who are all trying to escape.

I'd really like to visit the Pacific trash vortex. It is at the same time absolutely incredible and pretty darn depressing. What a world, eh.

-A swimming pool levitating 1 km from the land.

-Inside a giant tree.

-Express mail company head quarters.

-Castle full of technology gadgets.

-A particle accelerator facility (LHC at CERN, for example).

-"Event horizon" world surrounding a black hole (crazy space-time stuff).

-Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

- Inside a human

- Inside a wall

- on a meteor

- In a rabbit hole

- Underwater palace ala One Piece

- Construction site toilet

- forest after a flame inferno

- Care Bear Land

- swimming pool

- garbage island

- bermuda triangle

- ghost ship with Murray from monkey island on it

- inside LeChuck's head

- Eternia (Masters of the universe)

- Atomic reactor

- inside a flying carpet (being miniaturized) talking to bugs and so on

- inside genies lamp

- Wonderland of Alice

- Anthill

- Inside a vacuum cleaner bag

- Olympus (i.e. rest room of Zeus while he is brushing his teeth)

- Land from the Wizards of Oz

- Wing of a flying airplane

- Inside a jelly monster

Sign in to follow this