Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

I think Sedlecs Ossuary would inspire a great area

sedlec-ossuary-03-augustus-2007-14u03-2.jpg

"The Sedlec Ossuary is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary contains approximately 40,000-70,000 human skeletons which have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.Henry, the abbot of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec, was sent to the Holy Land by King Otakar II of Bohemia in 1278. When he returned, he brought with him a small amount of earth he had removed from Golgotha and sprinkled it over the abbey cemetery. The word of this pious act soon spread and the cemetery in Sedlec became a desirable burial site throughout Central Europe. During the Black Death in the mid 14th century, and after the Hussite Wars in the early 15th century, many thousands of people were buried there and the cemetery had to be greatly enlarged.

Around 1400 a Gothic church was built in the center of the cemetery with a vaulted upper level and a lower chapel to be used as an ossuary for the mass graves unearthed during construction, or simply slated for abolition to make room for new burials. After 1511 the task of exhuming skeletons and stacking their bones in the chapel was, according to legend, given to a half-blind monk of the order.

Between 1703 and 1710 a new entrance was constructed to support the front wall, which was leaning outward, and the upper chapel was rebuilt. This work, in the Czech Baroque style, was designed by Jan Santini Aichel.

In 1870, František Rint, a woodcarver, was employed by the Schwarzenberg family to put the bone heaps into order. The macabre result of his effort speaks for itself. Four enormous bell-shaped mounds occupy the corners of the chapel. An enormous chandelier of bones, which contains at least one of every bone in the human body, hangs from the center of the nave with garlands of skulls draping the vaults. Other works include piers and monstrances flanking the altar, a large Schwarzenberg coat-of-arms, and the signature of Master Rint, also executed in bone, on the wall near the entrance."

- Stuck inside a pen on a desk

- World inside a toilet (haha)

- Captured inside a beam of light, traveling from earth to an unknown planet

- Inside a glass submarine

The Academy of Legado from Gulliver’s Travels.

Inside a bakery in Ancient Rome.

Part of a quilting or weaving circle in the middle ages.

In the private chambers of an Emperor or Empress.

A maze of rusty iron girders as wide as a street with a huge drop below to a churning sea and a clear blue sky above. Huge birds and sea creatures in each.

Inside the Hadron Collider.

A revolutionary cafe.

The rice terraces of Banaue in the Cordillera in the Philippines.

tumblr_le9rle2CF51qetpd8o1_500.jpg

The bureaucratic building of the Daoist celestial bureaucracy.

The room where names are chosen for the different colours of paint.

Dante’s Inferno.

Inside the bedroom of the most powerful person in the world when they were a teenager.

The TARDIS

My childhood home while I was a child.

A city built on the back of a herd of animals.

Inside a tarot deck.

A society run by The Situationist International.

At a Bilderberg Group meeting.

A place where the state religion is Sesame Street.

bladerunner X Tolkien, where elves drive flying cars

a library of unwritten books, whose authors doubted themselves too much

The land where dreams fade, where you transition from sleep to waking

A dystopia where caustic rain constantly falls, and people must exist inside glass bunkers

- a lumber mill

- a blacksmith

- a farm

- a gold mine

- a boat dock / marina

- an airship hangar

- an oil refinery

- a quarry

- a lighthouse

- a water distribution plant

- a clock tower

- a submarine

- an airport

- a museum

- a zoo

- a movie theater

- a coliseum / sporting arena

- a police station

- a fire station

Many of the above are locations that people will be familiar with as a concept but don't typically visit on a regular basis. The locations can also easily be shown at various points of their life cycle, ie just beginning and small in size, growing larger and becoming bustling with people and activity, or old and dilapidated now serving mostly as a reminder of what once was. The locations can be modified to fit situations other than our own reality, since the needs they serve are so basic as to be assumed necessary, ie even the three headed aliens from Gryclon IV must have need of a way to feed themselves, entertain themselves, transport themselves, protect themselves etc. Seeing these common things from their perspective can acquaint us with their way of life.

Ok, what about...

...under my pillow while I'm sleeping

...inside the fridge, while closed. (Does the light really go off?)

... a giant Whisky collection with thousands of bottles

... a "pick your poison of choice"distillery

... no man's land between two borders

... a high security bank vault during a robbery you have nothing to do with

... a garbage processing plant

... a hot chocolate volcano

... a tribe of mandating killer dodos

... a vast underground city where the dodos await the right time to conquer the world

... The tomb of Lenin

... Liechtenstein

... a gummy bear factory

... The London Museum of international Torture and Botany

... The National Gallery of Paintings with only one color that also has to be black and where all the Pictures have to be squares

... In the middle of an awkward conversation about the pros and cons of nudism

... a movie theatre during the premiere of an Uwe Boll movie

... Grand Central Station - upside down

... Tall grass

... the vatican during the trials of Galileo

... The Sistine Chapel, during construction

... The library of Congress - Book Burning day

... International Convention of People without body odor

... Dada Poetry Convention

...and....wait for it....

Inside the mind of someone who desperately tries to come up with cool locations.

Here's more (is anyone still reading this?)

* A world where the inhabitants are musical instruments

* Evil unicorn land

* Genie retirement home

I haven't read everything in the thread so I may be repeating some ideas:

Octopus metropolus

A village of outcast necromancers who weren't evil enough

Chessboard Land

A Lederhosen level

The hidden planet

The desolate north in permanent twilight

The aftermath of an Awesome Bomb.

A land made entirely of people's dreams (and nightmares)

Video Game level

Swamp desert level

Swamp dessert level!

A seemingly endless (undersea?) cavern on an alien world, which gets darker and darker as you descend, but as you go deeper there are small sources of light that get emphasized. Creatures with glowing bits, alien tech embedded in the walls, little xenobots poking around with a lamp, etc. Eventually most of the screen is pitch black, but there are tiny bits revealed which will hopefully fascinate and/or terrify the player as they explore.

Inside a snow-globe

Inside the mind of a house cat

During the Spanish Inquisition

Heaven

Hell (A fire level?!?)

The mold on the surface of the coffee on a cup of week old coffee...?

North Wales

In the country

In the city

Medieval

Space-station

- A hypercube

- Akihabara

- The beginning of the Universe

- Cthulu's wardrobe

- A Klein bottle

A level where the character gets taken into the games code (real or fake)

A level representing the players computer or console, (bios, actual physical hardware layout etc), making changes which will effect the world of the game. Scanning the players hardware to make it look like the players machine for added effect (showing computer name, cpu etc). Example: a timing puzzle is too hard to do, so the character needs to underclock* the players computer to slow down the timing puzzle.

Perhaps something else like a simulated game crash, where the puzzle is to find a way to get the game (ergo the world) running again. (In my mind, you would still move the character in different areas in the game, but everything is "broken" or backwards compared to what it was).

*Would not actually physically underclock the player's system

A world populated by ghosts who are scared of living beings.

A civilization living on the skin of a giant moon-sized kraken.

A world whose only continent is a giant archipelago, and which is orbited by a moon-sized Kraken.

A world where the souls of the dead are used to enchant inanimate objects, but those souls keep their memories and remain conscious even as enchanted objects. (Bonus: include romance between a human character and their necromantically enchanted sword/shield/book/armor/hat/dishwasher)

Jackpot Bonus: Combine all of the above.

- Distant alien planet made of pizza

- Neverending construction yard

- Safe Icicle factory

- Bottom of the flat world

- Upside down castle

- Pointillistic world

I just take my chances, since the subscription notification didn't work for me - so if this thread is still valid, here I go:

- mouse cave, while being shrunk

- inside clouds

- a top of a flower

- inside a boring living room, where everyone is slaved to the tv

- on the road (again)

- inside a supermarket

- in a comic book store

- at an alley

- in a pet shop

- in a shop, where you buy inventory for shops (not just petshops)

- in a candy factory

- at a butchers funeral

- on the cemeteray that hasn't to do anything with the funeral I mentioned before

- in a car

- on top of a car

- on the side of a car, but not the road

- on a yawn

- at a lawyer's office

- inside a treetophouse

- inside a treetop sans house

- at a swimming pool

- at a deserted festival ground

- in a circus (show)

- at a magician show

- in a class during class

- in a school

- janitor's office (must not be that of a school)

- inside a pc

- inside a pc shop

- inside a shop that poses off as another shop

- at a diner, at midnight, swarmed by aliens, that get fought by ghouls, while trying abducting cows the zombies wanted to ear (for their brains)

- during winter season on a parking lot

- inside a book store, while you trying to find the nervending story

- at a japanese manufacturer for love dolls

- inside a strip club that got closed, because it showed non-nude girls (whoops)

- at a snack shop

- in a space ship

- in a ship

- in a pirate ship

- in a viking ship

- in LA at double fine

- at a spooky shack that sells mysterious potions

- during summer at a field that grew corn, while you see a big desolate house in the far sunset, whith the wind blowing the grains. the red light of the setting sun is shining on the street. you are running, running from a murderer, a muderer of ants! you saw him stomping on them and now you run - he doesn't hunt you though, but you run! ... RUN!!!!!

- at a bat cave - NOT THE BAT CAVE

- during lunch in a catina full of white collar workers

- on an island, full with giant rocks! not spiders, not apes - giant rocks! that's creepy as it gets

- on this island during halloween with giant pumpkin monsters instead of rocks (less creepier, but well!)

- on a plane that is about to land, while suddenly the captain says that everything is indeed fine (suspicious!)

- inside baker street 221B, where a mysterious murder just happened!

- at a policestation

- at a former police station that is now a pizza parlor

and last but not least

- inside a shower, cleaning yourself from all that adventurous adventure you have been in - while you have to figure out, why the warm water ran out - now you have wander naked into the dark cellar - while calling the janitor to fix that!

Places I've never gone to but always wanted to visit:

The island of Tasmania, Australia

Hobbiton

A coral reef

Places I'm so afraid of that I know I'll never actually see in my life:

Hanging under a bridge in a bungy

(I'm not going to write my fears here, in fear of that you'll put it in the game!)

A stairwell.

Seriously. I'm in a wheelchair and I've never been in a stairwell.

...Too boring? Fine. Make it an icy stairwell.

Nobody wants to be Moist! Though on the dance floor I glide, on stairs I'm petrified, that's how Harry Wismer died...

Places I can’t go to because it’s physically impossible:

Right next to the literally uncrossable edge at the end of the world.

underneath an iPhone touchscreen

Inside any electronics device would be frickin cool. I want to see artwork of that! "Hackers" style? (not really)

- Guybrush Threepwood's boat house

- Sun (fire world?)

- Western caravan

- Inside a magicians top hat

- A world made of words (Dogville?)

- Pacific's garbage island

- Norwegian cottage on the mountains

- Neil Gaiman's library

- Neil Gaiman's hair

How about a truly 2-D Level!

Something like Flatland from Edwin A. Abbott

Between a car (sic)

In the violent storms of Jupiter or another gas giant

Inside a modern printing press

On a Klein bottle

Inside a comet

An underwater canyon

A real-world location accurately depicted would be nice along with an accurate number of NPCs. Perhaps a street crossing with a lot of people.

Inside a dream or hallucination, along with all the trappings of a dream (i.e. once you've left a place you can't get back to it.) It could be interesting if things slightly change their appearance over time but the character still inherently *knows* what the object is supposed to be even if it doesn't look that way to us, so there is a disconnect between appearance and knowledge.

A world that you get to see from different points of view (similar to that level in Super Mario 64 where you can enter either really huge or really tiny.)

Hmmm! Well currently I am into playing Pinball. So how about a world that is like a pinball playing field. It would be retro and cool at the same time.

Jason

Inside of an old tube TV and/or radio, that'd be neat probably.

Also, inside one of Phil Collins' drums during a drum solo.

Inside an Amiga floppy disk drive, mine always used to make the most peculiar noises.

Steampunk Cold War Setting, Russians with steam powered nukes!!!!!!!!!!!

* A city populated by sloths on the underside of the Golden Gate Bridge, which uses a currency backed by Cute Factor and/or Kirsten Bell's tears.

* Brattahlíð, Greenland, when the population is convinced to immigrate to the newly discovered Dryland (actually Atlantis).

A super stereotyped location. I think it would be funny to make a place in which all the stereotypes come together. Bonus point because people may be offended, which is always good.

An island where all the people speak through paradoxes.

- A world where you CAN divide by zero.

- Place where people with perfect, white teeth are shunned

- City which has pigeon overlords that walk human beings like dogs

- Inside a tv where people on the outside using the tv change the channel, changing the setting and style for the characters inside the tv (so if you are doing the boy and girl thing, the boy would be changing channels causing changes in the environment of the girl)

- On a mining space ship 1 million lightyears away from Earth (I've never even heard of Red Dwarf!)

- Place where people have little to no sight

- World where - like with Black Widow spiders - the men are eaten after mating

- World where people have little people inside them performing maintenance (making the people healthy and/or giving temporary super human abilities).

- World where the planet has flooded, forcing the inhabitants to take to both the skies and under the sea to survive

Sign in to follow this