Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

Have you ever looked at pavement when it rains at night? All the lights on the cars, buildings, and signs reflect on the water, but it looks like lights shining up(down) into an abyss. I'd like to check that place out.

A-banyan-tree-with-candles-all-over-it level.

That one hallway where all the doors connect to one another.

The inside of a clockwork industrial machine.

Improbably big tree house.

How about a MC Esher inspired world.

Maybe one that exists inside the protagonist's pocket. What would happen if the protagonist puts their hand in the pocket?

A world that's based on lucid dreaming but a shared reality where the person with the strongest will can shape reality.

A world where everybody has no long term memory. That would explain why NPC's alway give the same response.

A fantasy world of magic and spells but the protagonist is so based in reality that they can't see the magic or be directly effected by it. i.e. a fire spell would have no effect but someone using a spell to throw a rock would.

A "honey I shrunk he kids" type world where the protagonist is tiny compared to everybody else.

A world that has free moving tectonic plates that are constantly shifting and the world's geography is constantly changing.

-Not quite a location but the characters within somewhat based on Charlie Brown and Tom and Jerry type cartoons. Not the specific characters but the way adults are portrayed to the children. Have all the adults in the area have their upper bodies obscured and talk in some sort of incomprehensible "wah-wah" voice.

-An area filled with really crappy special effects and poor editing. Examples would include puppets with strings visible, noticeable camera men and microphones, and really badly done CGI and explosions. There could be characters whose voices get cut out and you need to find the lost audio files to help them.

Inside of the world(s) of Francisco Goya's "Pinturas negras" - (Black Paintings on Wikipedia)

Just do it with a Grim Fandangoish twist which will somehow make it feel somewhat like... home?

Work some magic on something already magical!

Now, this isn't really representative of the black paintings as a whole, but this picture alone could be the inspiration for a heck of a game - Goya - El Perro

Take that dark tone and combine it with a coming of age story (Open your inventory and click first on "Dark Tone" and then "Coming of Age Story" to make the new game)

I saw the abandoned themepark ideas - I think anything abandoned and taken over by something unexpected could be great.

Maybe an abandoned Museum Of Lost Museums, ruled by a curator who has developed a strong passion for this unsellable collection and is not inclined to let anyone see it.

I have but one request.

Sickening heights

Nothing says adventure like exploring the skies. Exempli gratia:

From the amazing, and recent, adventure game The Whispered World:

1_Wolkenschloss.jpg

And from the nostalgic Legend of Kyrandia, Book Two: The Hand of Fate:

kyrandia2_screenshot1.jpg

screenshot792-1.gif

I have but one request.

Sickening heights

Nothing says adventure like exploring the skies. Exempli gratia:

From the amazing, and recent, adventure game The Whispered World:

1_Wolkenschloss.jpg

Reminds me a bit of the Spire Age, in Myst IV. That was absolutely wonderful, my favorite age ever. It was Sirrus' prison age and it totally represented his personality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoW81eCs7U

Good brainstorming generally needs good feedback to get better, especially when/if it goes off task.

Can you give us some of the ideas that you like so we can kinda hone in on what you're looking for (since, again, we don't know the game).

The log cabin of nostalgia

War memorabilia factory

Music laboratory

Inside a game of Civ 5

A marker-pen lid diving bell

A stadium for watching fruit grow

That's all I got for now

I know we want something new and Doublefine doesn´t have permition to use old LucasArts stuff but it would be very funny if at some point in DFA we can go to a location from a old game like an island from Monkey Island or one of the cities of Grim Fandango :)

Happy fairytale fantasy world completely free of epic battles and political intrigue, except for that one guy

Baseball stadium

Mars, populated by exactly the kind of stupid things our grandparents expected

Mars, as colonized by MLB players

Epic fantasy world that can only be saved by one baseball player from planet Earth

Here are my random ideas (brace for deliciousness for some of them):

* A circular labyrinth made of cheese, perhaps various cheeses

* A pizzeria which is a hangout spot for a kind-of-intimidating-but-kind-of-not 1980s hair metal band

* A sausage factory with some puzzles involving ingredients + sausage machine thingy

* Some kind of creepy still-life of food photography. It could be a highly zoomed in portrait of a person opening his/her mouth to eat a donut. The player character would be in the terrifying yet delicious painting somehow.

Non-food related:

* The Mysterious Realm between couch cushions, where you lose coins and all sorts of things!

* On a similar note, the Land of Misplaced Things

-

PS- I'm not fat (kinda underweight).

Well, my only wish would be the Pastafarian Heaven: a stripper factory and beer volcanoes.

b219820847.png

I'm always fascinated by scale - have you seen the Eames film Powers of Ten?

Atoms and electrons could be tiny worlds of their own.

On another note, I think it would be an ace idea to explore a 3D world using only a greyscale depth map for visuals.

On another-other note, what about a world where the terrain is all made from a thin sheet. Valleys on one side would be mountains on the other. Perhaps you could switch sides periodically.

Dan

Some world where either cats or dragons are actually good. >_> Tired of seeing them being evil or just dumb monsters.

Some kind of level that's a jab at big publishing studios. Bonus points if it's an obvious parody of a real studio.

"In" a computer monitor. By that I mean on the computer's desktop able to see the windows and icons and mouse and whatnot, not physically inside the LCD or CRT components, but if you can make that work, then kudos to you.

...I'm not good at this. D: Maybe I'll have more ideas later.

Here my 2 cents ...

The mind of a video game caracter

The mind of Ron Gilbert

Inside a computer

On a dog's back

inside someone's pocket

On Monkey Island

Squid Prom.

I don't care how late I am on this or how many other ideas are thrown out there but for the love of all please do a location with a squid prom;

( i.imgur.com/bKEK9.jpg )

I've always had a thing for strange carnival/amusement parks. Not evil or sinister but strange and intriguing.

A water level. Less Jolly Roger Bay and more Rayman Origins.

One of those reality-shredding end levels like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, The Labyrinth.

Y'know, The Very Definitely Final Dungeon.

A Masquerade, with or without vampires. Or Cthulu.

Something involving Eldritch Abominations. Or just Eldritch things.

Squid Prom.

I don't care how late I am on this or how many other ideas are thrown out there but for the love of all please do a location with a squid prom;

( i.imgur.com/bKEK9.jpg )

Is that a prom of squids? That sounds fantastic.

More generally, a zoo where something official is going on so all animals are "dressed" for a prom in their particular ways, could look wonderful. Peacocks, butterflies, giraffes, coral fish and parrots will look great anyhow but also gorillas and crocodiles in tuxedo.

I somehow see possibilities for combining this with my beloved badly managed party center complex where 4 weddings and 4 cremations are going on.

Woah, hey. So, I just made this account. I don't even have an avatar.. I'm faceless!

Anyway, to the important bit... 31(?) pages in already.. yikes.. but I figure it won't hurt to suggest some locales and dimensions:

* A floating city powered by HOT ENGLISH MUSTARD!! (.. or some other condiment ... an effective fuel but not always the best idea - often in short supply, not to everyone's taste and the pipes clog up on a regular basis)

* Dracula's Castle after it has been put back on the real estate market, renovated and sold to ______ (some kind of vampire metaphor) -- think of Stan from Monkey Island, a (scarily) happy family of half-man half-poodles, an aerobics class, ninja academy, publishers who don't believe in adventure games etc.

* A laundromat-maze (i.e. a giant coin-op laundromat which you can easily find yourself lost in.. kinda like a hall of mirrors at a carnival)

* Mariachi band tour van .. one of those "how did I get here and how do I get out of here?" moments

* the small gang-controlled town from Yojimbo but with everything made of crystals

* Modular furniture dimension - society revolves around the constant re-positioning of marshmallowy cubes

* Alt: combine everything above into one awesome location!!

Well, I could keep going but I'm happy with 7. Ta dah!

A Comic book or video game convention

An school during the summer when it's most empty (except summer school students)

Flea market

Thrift store

Airport

Fire and Ice are extremes so here's a list of extremes (not saying you'd always have both, just using the parallels and juxtaposition to come up with creative opposites):

• Dry (desert) vs Wet (duck boards in the trenches of a world war II style fight),

• A green forest vs a rotting swamp,

• High in the clouds (floating castle or mountain top temple) vs down in the depth (an underground cavern),

• A Museum of fine art vs a flee market of handicrafts,

• A log cabin vs a stone tower,

• Wide open (in a corn maze or just an open field that seems to go on forever in all directions) vs Claustrophobic (a series of tunnels that are too tight to move backwards... perhaps duct work or pipes),

• Strong Gravity vs Weak Gravity,

• Slippery (maybe a grease factory) vs sticky (a world made of Velcro where you can walk on the walls or underneath the seats in a movie theatre),

• Bright (you can't actually see anything in this are except what falls in your shadow... until you get the sun glasses) vs Dark (have to navigate with a lantern or flashlight or glow in the dark sneakers),

• In the crowd of A Peaceful Protest vs in the mob of a Violent Revolution,

• On an airplane vs in a submarine,

• In the office from Office Space vs the offices of a video game maker,

• On a train vs in a pinball machine... possibly as the ball,

• on a escape raft dingy vs on a luxury cruise-liner,

• A world made of pillows (maybe a giant's bed) vs a world of hard sharp edges (maybe a giants knife drawer)

• In a clean room of a lab or server room vs a garbage dump or hoarders home

• In a library vs at a rave

• An authoritarian dystopia vs Canada

• On the roof/in the attic vs in the storm cellar/basement

• In a hotel vs camping.

-The world that exist behind the couch

-The world under the fridge

-The sub-atomic world

-Basket weavers’ awards show

-UFO convention

-Sceptics convention

-A world where the highest achievement one can strive for is to be on reality TV.

-A place where sound travels faster than light, you would hear it before you see it happen.

-Flat world

-Slot car race track

-A world where currency is a smile

-Drive-in theatre

-Microbiology lab

-Alpaca farm

-Vinyl record pressing factory

-world made of wax

-An abandoned fast food restaurant haunted by the ghosts of fat kids

A forest on top of a giant's head.

A classless society.

Inverse-size land, where tiny things are huge landscapes and enormous things are small enough to be inventory items.

Big fan of Neil Gaimans "neverwhere" Opposite london, a shadow version of the original. It's been done to death perhaps. But the concept is intriguing. You see this in "Coraline" too.

You'r protagonists have each their own world, to represent how they view the world. Or not, doesn't need to have a reason.

The worlds are in ways polar opposites, some things are possible in one, that are not in the other. So you can change between characters, and view the same area through the others eyes. This will give an incentive to replay or go back, and obviously makes the puzzle solving interesting.

Interactions with side characters might be different too, some might be rude towards one, but cheery to the other.

I should clarify, by "world" I mean that they occupy the same world, but that it looks different when playing the other character. Because we all see the world differently.

A place where the atoms have slowed down so they are hardly moving! brrrrrrr

- An 80s era arcade

- Swamp with bullfrogs, gators, and dragonflies

- Freeway traffic jam

- Colorful bird preserve in Malaysia or Borneo

- Internet search site

- Rock concert

- and of course...ice level

Sign in to follow this