Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

Well Tim I was thinking and this game needs a level featured entirely on a island in the farthest reaches of the west. On this Island is a strange peoples made only of cheese and cheese products. Where they worship the great Yogurt god Curdisnis Whip.

However there is great turmoil on this island of cheese inhabitants. The Orange Cheddar and White Cheddar Clans are about to war over racial difference resulting in the great Cheese battle of Blue Vally where many years ago the great Blue Cheese wars were held.

I think thats good enough. If not we could always add a level that takes place entirely on the back of a Camel where we can walk trough its hairs and find the fleas that reside on its back side while constantly avoiding Camel spit from the surrounding Camel's.

- a place where everyone's lives have a broadcasted narration, narrating either their internal thoughts like a book, or like a sporting event

- a brainstorming meeting with Neanderthal inventors

- a place run entirely by Rube Goldberg contraptions

- a lucid dream, where actions have consequence in the waking world

- A quad-ruled notebook page

- The table of a CNC milling machine while it carves out the world for you

- A land of origami monsters

- Asleep and dreaming of a world where someone else is dreaming of you dreaming of them, dreaming of you ...

- underneath the corneal flap of a recovering lasik eye surgery patient.

-Inside the center of the sun.

-A city built upon moving gears in a giant machine. other cities are other gears, constantly turning making traffic a real mess.

-Mirror world, in that everyone and everything is made of a highly reflective surface. perhaps anything that's reflected is physically real and can react to anything on that plane.

- A shopping mall in the middle of holiday season only everyone has tall legs and sales are literally crazy.

- a old timey zeppelin cruise liner and/or zeppelin pirate ship that's slow and ineffectual however everyone is in good spirits.

- The dinosaur civil war.

- The vertical city of Kowloon. (not really a silly or creative one, just a place I would have loved to explore before it was torn down)

- a black ice level where you might actually hurt yourself if you're not super careful.

-A music world where the levels and vibrations of the music affect the physical structure of the world.

- A literal interpretation of the Danger Zone.

The laboratories of the Manhattan Project (bonus points if you get to hang out with Feynman).

A dentist's office

With a cute blonde rookie dentist who can't operate the chair, This almost makes you love fear,

Ooooooo there should be a world where music dose not exsist. That would be super weird.

Or a place where the water is made of laundry detergent and people clean themselves with penny's.

Ever see that episode of Futurama where Bender's floating through space and a colony of little creatures lives on him? Something like that would be very cool. Our hero, drifting through deep space, entertained only by the microbes living in his navel...

Great ideas!

- A world in which every sound that's made is synchronized to an overall musical piece (so every sound made must be in a rhythm and pitch that works harmonically together)

- A world in which people can trade body parts ("Excuse me, may I borrow your head for a while? I'll lend you mine...")

- A jungle as a sports arena

- A village built entirely on planks on stilts above the water in the middle of the ocean.

- An ice volcano (it erupts with freezing cold water that freezes within seconds, and freezes anything it touches. The process is so fast that if things that were frozen got thawed, they would reanimate)

- A world in which each person has a watch, and they can set their watches to different rates (ie how many seconds in a minute). Whatever they set it to determines their speed in time, so having 30 seconds per minute you would go twice as fast as normal, while setting it to 120 would be twice as slow as normal. This also affects other things, such as physics, so if you fall slowly, you'll be safer than falling fast).

Ice World (damn!)

Grandpa's Cheese Barn (real place in Ohio!)

Richards Simmons' Hair

One-Hit-Wonder World (everyone is equally famous)

Sideshow Freak Rehab Center

Topsoil World (earthworms as mass transit)

Booger Caverns of Mars

Willie Nelson's Right Lung (for God's sake not the Left!)

Toastland (all clothing, goods and buildings - toast)

Everyone is Boris Karloff World

Shadowland (Traverse by moving light sources)

Everything Smells like Lacquer World

Two Worlds And A Cup (EeeYew!)

The one thing I've always thought would be amazing but at the same time utterly terrifying would be to take a submersible to the bottom of a trench. You're surrounded by pressures that would normally kill you in an instant, miles below the surface of the ocean where no one would ever find you. You would never know what's waiting for you, whether dazzling lights, invisible bodies, or hideous monsters. Almost every one of those expeditions has come up with a specimen of life never seen before.

As far as worlds all their own, I've had the thought of what a world made entirely of paper might be like. Maybe you could write in the world and create things, like a door to get into somewhere. Also, you could use origami to make things that would help you, like making a giant paper crane that comes alive and can take you over a large gorge, or making a hat to complete your paper pirate disguise or something.

As for stuff with a little less description,

An ant colony.

A forest for giants.

A place where your actions work towards the future but traveling between buildings and surroundings moves towards the past.

A thumb wrestling contest with the marketing of the Super Bowl.

A world where everything is acted out like a kabuki theater, although I suppose that might be too similar to Gloria's world.

A courtroom for fish.

That's all I got for now.

Sci-fi. I'd love to see the DF take on that setting.

Heaven, hell, and Earth. Too much risk of offending people though?

Company offices. Maybe a satire of corporate America.

Opposite land. Everything is the opposite of how things are in the real world. People who are poor and lonely are the happiest. Farms make more money than corporations.

The inside of a computer or game console.

The White House, Capitol building, or the Pentagon.

TV-land, or movie-land. This could be an opportunity to satirize TV or movie tropes.

The 20th Century. Specifically, the 2nd half of it. More satire opportunities!

I guess basically what I'm saying is, I dig satire.

Oh, would definitely love to see some settings in India, China, Egypt, Japan, Africa (yes I know it's not a country), Australia (yes I know it's not a country), or the Middle East.

Scary and crazy, eh? That makes me think of variations of living near, on, or in one of the following:

-neutron star

-magnetar

-sunspot

Seriously, when physicists run screaming, you know you're onto something. Neutron stars have crazy states of matter, with densities allowing you to make crazy mass comparisons, like sugar cubes and teaspoons to humanity and mountains. And in sunspots and magnetars, the hideously complex interplay of coiling webs of magnetic fields and charged matter, each interacting with the other and capable of storing and releasing stupefying energies in terrifying, unpredictable ways... If there are demons in astronomy, they are them.

- A literal interpretation of the Danger Zone.

8vuZ8jSVNUI

Oh dude put Ireland into the game i'd love to see a kinda Celtic mystical type area thanks man you rock.

Using real places as inspiration

The Amazon

The Caribbean (Like a historic Cuba etc.)

http://www.vacationideas.me/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/havana-cuba.jpg

A Native American reservation, fits so many openings culturally and socially, if your games making some kind of social statement this would be an interesting locale

This place in Tibet!

http://www.bic2011.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/B.jpg

The surface of the moon

20,000 leagues under the sea

Alcatraz

Thats a few.

Are we doing a Super Mario Galaxy adventure game?

Oh, never mind, I'll just take a stab at it:

* 2 worlds, in the first everyone speaks the truth in the other everyone lies, but you don't know which is which (there's an old riddle with this set-up)

* Jeopardy world - what world requires answers to be in the form of a question?

* A world where houses have consciousness and people work for them

* A world where cows are the dominant species

* Inside a living cell - build RNA, make proteins, everything affected by enzymes

* No friction world (probably need do develop some kind of bumpers to stop, no cars since wheels don't work, cannot start fire by rubbing 2 sticks, etc.)

* A world where you see heat instead of light

* USB world - communication is done by connecting two people with USB, rather than talk

* Child world - candy is every meal, play all day long

* A place where countries develop weapons to destroy each other. Wait, that's real.

Oh, the riddle I mentioned. Here it goes: suppose you have 2 worlds (or two nations), in the first the inhabitants always speak the truth, in the other the inhabitants always answer untruthfully. You can ask only one question to find out which world you are in, what would be that question?

Inside a giant gun

A cluttered room

In a box with Schrodinger's cat

A land where everyone dies at night, only to be resurrected in the morning

A world were prices are reasonable, politicians are noble, and children respect their elders

A city made entirely of Cake

At the border between a Sci-fi futuristic city, and an Amish community

A world populated entirely by primitive robots that worship humans as gods

- recording studio

- submarine

- prison

- car assembly line

- gym

- dentists office

- post office

-Yolklahoma (A land inhabited by talking egg people. Egg puns are mandatory, and failure to commit to this rule is punishable by death).

-A blood vessel

-The interior of a turtle shell

-The pages of a high school diary

-A "pun" writing tournament (contestants must look at an item, and compete to see who can write the best pun about it).

-Pointilism painting (It worked for Black Velvet!)

-A sardine can

-A caterpillar's cocoon

-An elephant graveyard

-Underneath a toe nail

-The spit valve of a trumpet

-A belly button

-A livestock auction

-Double Decker Bus

-Cukcoo Clock

A place where women are men and men are women (or a place where everything is the opposite).

A place where being sober makes you drunk so to stay sober you have to drink alcohol.

The sun.

On a ship inside a bottle.

I've always found inside the human body to be an amazing idea. But that in more of a "realistic" manner. Would be a lot of fun to ride red blood cells around the body. Systematically destroying someone from the inside of their body cutting stuff up. But uhh i guess that wouldn't be realistic in this situation especially since it's not 3d.

A place of doors.. Many.. Many doors.. Like... thousands..

Also being inside of computers would be neat (I like being inside of things i shouldn't).. Err... That came out wrong... Or didn't go in wrong... According to whom you ask.

Being on a human head at a nearly microscopic level. Maybe half the size of ants so the hair is like a massive forest.

Never saw a game where you could travel through a cars engine. Neat platformer.

And it's been done i'm sure but i love the idea of travelling around a home at a smaller level with great detail.. Mountainous toilets... Toilet rolls so big you never need run out.

A place where no one says yes and everyone says no. Leading to interesting dialogue puzzles and jokes. And everything is a lie and everyone a liar.. But that's a fact.. So is it true? no

Sure would be a thrilling experience to ride in a turtles nostrils.

A place with a salty octopus that leads the lands with a iron suction cup (Literally he was disfigured and only has 1 suction cup and it's a fake. But boy is it powerful.

Humans are dogs pets.

We walk so fast that we have to crawl everywhere.

Actually this is getting absurd i'm going to stop here.

Edit: This is dissapointing i didn't read any of the posts except the ones on the front page when browsing through to post my thing and it seems most of my ideas are posted in a different sense. Sorry guys not trying to copy.

I'd like to see a sci-fi level that is not gritty or realistic but glamorous and sort of Ziggy Stardust-ish. It may have been done some, but I feel it's an underrepresented setting.

That is cool. Glam sci-fi is definitely underrepresented.

-world where everything is made of living flesh

-a place where everything exists in a state of quantum superposition

-a game studio

-inside a network of plastic hamster tubes

-in an airplane that is about to crash

-on a sinking ship

-world made of origami

-city built on the back of a giant creature

-world where everything is bigger on the inside

-a research station in the sun's atmosphere

-an ice level that was accidentally filled with the monsters from the fire level

-a spaceship crashed in the city of a primitive civilization

Sign in to follow this