Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

Inside a giant mushroom, under ground, upside down, where people only come to party.

In a world of assemblage art. See www.neilclarkwork.com for examples.

Inside an anatomy textbook with many illustrations. I always liked the clear acetate pages with the different bodily systems on each.

A kayaking level. In all the games I've ever played, I've never seen it done.

A macro area. The macro world is just as amazing as outer space. Look for books like "nano nature" by Richard jones.

I really love concept art. I get special edition game sets just for the art books. It wound be cool to have a level set in a concept art area where the hero would have to refine or change the art in some way to actually make the level itself.

I've always wanted to explore the interior of an abandoned Kirkbride hospital. These things are the creepiest places ever, and would have been ideal for a horror movie setting. There's one in my town that's unfortunately been in the process of being demolished over the last few years. I'd never be able to enter the building without getting arrested, or killed from falling through rotten floor-boards, or being an unlucky sap and being inside the building the day they decide to demolish it finally. Anyways, here's a couple images of the building I'm talking about

0000005955.jpg

0000005969.jpg

http://www.opacity.us/gallery162_back_for_one_more.htm'>http://www.opacity.us/gallery162_back_for_one_more.htm A more complete gallery of the ultra creepiness :)

http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/ For more info about Kirkebride buildings

http://www.opacity.us More abandoned buildings at this site, mostly other psychiatric hospitals in New England. It's a treasure trove of abandoned hospitals!

I have a couple ideas here.

1. Inside a book? That could be interesting, maybe your character could get sucked inside a book of some sort, having to fight 'word monsters' and avoid obstacles, there could be like a little mini game where tough words come after you and you have to quickly type them to fight them off.

2. You could have a multiverse level where you quickly swap and change through different universes affected by different things, and you could use that to solve puzzles.

3. Inside a computer? like you have to shrink down to small size and venture into the mainframe to reroute a laptop to give you info? That could be interesting.

4. Undead Cruise Ship.

5. An underground subway station infested by mutated super rats?

More ideas for you good tim sir.

Straight from the wacky mind of a bewildered 16 year old.

The Land of obnoxious foghorns.

A heavily crowded train station filled with these obnoxious fellers sounding off like crazy, but to them its just talking, and your character has to dumb out the sound with whatever he can find, and quickly hold something to his ears as soon as they are about to talk, as he tries to hop onto a train and escape!

The Lost S.H.I.T.T.Y City Of Atlantis

Your character finds a shard or a mystical item which grants them acess to atlantis periodically. You go down there only to find it is a sleazy cesspool of gangsters and hobos and insane people, civilization has completely been destroyed and only you can restore its once fantastic beauty. From the outside it looks amazing but on the inside, not so much. There is a tyrannic leader corrupted by his own sense of power and you have to convince him to restore it back to its old ways. Like in Futurama, how old new york is underground, but populated. A bit like Bioshock in a sense, but more zany and double-finey.

Modern Gaming Level?

Filled with that classic double fine satire, a level taking the absolute piss out of the state that modern gaming is currently in. Maybe like a waiting room for current game characters to get transported into their new amazing games, have like groups of rag tag soldiers acting differently than portrayed in their games, add all the basic character stereotypes in, with various jabs at corrupt marketing and dlc/drm. Maybe have a couple quick time events thrown in for funnies and your character just outright refuses. Have him jumping between different genres and showcasing the good old games and what theyve now malformed in to. Have a sequence where your screen is filled with adverts for new games and maybe a mario level clone, where your character is told everything to do and led through it hand in hand, given skips when dieing etc. Also you could have a bit where a screen pops up asking you to pay 5 dollars more or like on facebook to access a secret skin which is just a stinky old worn out suit.

Casa Del Core: Mantle Madness

Your character searching for booty (and not the female kind) gets in a massive drill to hit some treasure, only for it to go haywire half way down careering him into the centre of the earth. Where you find a bunch of your run of the mill holiday goers and snooty types living it up in the casa del core resort, complete with lava pool, spa, and poolside bar. Everyone is tanned to high heaven and artificial beach partys galore. Have an immediate problem you have to sort like maybe the lava from the core is running out and you have to acquire more or reroute it and make choices who you want to give it to, (like the archon power electricity thingy from new vegas) with consequential results.

Thanks for reading if you do Tim, I'm sorry I couldn't donate more than 15 dollars to this baby but hell I'll pay you in ideas. My noggin is full of em :)

I Got a great idea.

Why not have some kind of twist so the character / characters go through something (like a box or a closet or what ever) then end up inside comicon AkA toonitoon or something like that with many Npc's in constumes with really twisted minds.

perhaps a sort of overlap of a particuler mood or imagination over a normal scene, changing it or helping you look for clues. even perhaps telling a real or imagined story or hint of story to that particuler setting, almost like emotive filters over recognizable scenery.

Here is another from me, though it is possible someone else has already suggested this. 38 Pages with the search function this forum has is unfortunately inadequate to tell.

Site of a massive battle. If the battle was recent, the scene could be quite gruesome and atmospheric. Destroyed vehicles and remains of other military gear scattering the area with no living soul in sight, the survivors having fled the field.

Or alternatively, same site, but years later. Perhaps a few vehicle wrecks remain, but plants have began to take/ have taken over. The feeling conveyed would be about history and how things are erased from the world, but still remain obvious to those who keenly observe the world.

- abandoned ferris wheel by night

- stuck in a lighthouse on a rocky beach that is surrounded by murderous walruses

- canals of Jakarta - weird things flow in that sludge

- pathology department in a historical building in Prague -- shelves and shelves of jars with disfigured organs

- the giant warehouse where archaeologists keep all the bad art and ugly artefacts from the past. because in museums they only ever show us the good stuff.

- inside an astrological clock tower -- gears and statues

- the gruesome place where sausages are made

A few random ideas:

1) Instead of the classic trial by fire etc., have a trial by error. No matter

what you do, you fail until you save/restore your game at which point

your avatar performs an action which resolves the situation.

2) Wookey Hole Caves (in Somerset, England)

3) Pohjola (from Kalevala, the Finnish national epos)

4) Kerið (A volcanic crater in Iceland)

So, I didn't read all 38 pages of this, so my apologizes if I add something that has already been said.

I love the idea of a book/notepad world that others have mentioned, so I thought I'd do a list of various book-related worlds one may find themselves trapped in.

- Autobiography World, where you are trapped inside your own autobiography. Everywhere you step leaves behind footprints of narrated text, describing your actions. In addition, you have to relive moments of your life as described by the mysterious, and somehow unsettling, voice in your head.

- Or, conversely, Biography World, where you are trapped inside a biography of your own life, written by someone who has never met you but seems to hold an agenda against you all the same.

- Grandma's Book of Recipes.

- The TV Guide.

- A fantasy adventure written by a six-year-old.

- The notebook of that kid in your class who you thought was taking notes, but was really doing doodles of the teacher being eaten by monsters and the like.

- The To-Do-List of your co-worker who also happens to suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder.

-The edge of the universe. And you can break through the edge of the universe. With a hammer. And on the other side is packing foam.

-The space between the sub-atomic particles.

-Bell Rock Lighthouse. It's a cool lighthouse.

-Inside Charlie Chaplin's moustache.

-A freeway designed by MC Esher.

-A level made of ice. The drug.

There are so many great ideas from everyone I hope I'm not taking any ideas but maybe

a Rubix Cube like world or a world of Dominos

Cloud level that takes place inside of a cloud, and the top has a heaven-like feel to it; it would look beautiful.

Space (specifically on a ring of a planet such as Uranus or Saturn or an asteroid microplanet)

At least one mushroom kingdom (which could be a more literal interpretation such as a giant mushroom that has a whole kingdom in it).

A pirate ship location with a reference to monkey island

An ocean (travel by pirate ship naturally)

A parallel dimension where everyone looks like they're made out of toy blocks

A world of darkness in a kid's closet (like PJ Sam 1)

A flower garden location; maybe have all of the backers who want to and all the people at double fine who helped work on the game draw a flower and stick all of the flowers we create into the location.

A top down location ala 2d legend of zelda (though with no copyrighted material obviously)

A forest where all the trees have fruit with various effects that can be used creatively to solve puzzles using . Also could include for gag effects such as making the character have green hair or develop pimples or something like that.

A giant playground or a giant sand box (not the video game kind but the playground kind naturally).

A wheel shaped house that can move by rolling.

If it's about a boy and a girl and they are connected to each other, a place where the 2 of them can see each other when they look through a magical mirror. If the camera showed the both of them from the side looking at each other through the mirror, it would look really artistic (perhaps being a good cover art)

A entire world designed like the bad memories part of Milla Vodello, and a place that appears to be heaven but all the people there are stereotypical nerds/video game geeks. The rulers of the world would be game developers naturally. Great place to poke fun at the silly situations that you would think would occur when the internet pitches in to help develop a video game. For example, that video you showed us with "the internet" talking to "you" about what happens when the internet gets mad could be illustrated in the game when the video game geeks and nerds get angry at the developers and start rioting.

I could go on an on, but i have to write a speech still for homework =C That gave me of one last idea: you should do a world set in a piece of school paper world where the doodles people draw while trying to come up with what to think are the good guys and the homework characters are the meanies.

There's a wonderful scene in The Goonies that takes place inside a wishing well.

It's magical because the kids are having their own coming of age adventure...just this side of normalcy. They are on the other side of the normal world -- and there's a temptation to return to it. A chance to give up this last adventure and go back home...stay the children they were.

I love the setting, and the pacing in that scene -- there's a deep breath...a realization of what they're involved in...and finally a recommitment to the chase!

- A Renascence fair set during the actual Renascence

- An upside-down world everyone feels pretty much OK living in.

- A late game RPG town, where no one can afford the healing potions, or go out without level 500 monsters attacking them.

Licetown, on the head of a slowly balding man. Apocalypse soon !

A ping-pong tournament, with lightning-fast pro players.

Under the sea, since life is sweet here, we got the beat here, naturally.

Hi Tim.

Some more Ideas for Side locations:

-An Art Gallery full of Fan Art of DFA (freshly stocked after the Beta Version was published). The game character could spot useful hints here.

-The secret level of the Double Fine Buildung, a red glowing elevator leads down to it. Maybe here lays the source of all inspiration. But maybe its only the decadent lounge for all Kickstarter Backers, which enjoy cocktails and chicken sticks while watching and commenting the actual game on monitors.

Since i saw a rocket in your sketches:

-An old wooden ship with crew, which has been sucked into space by the incident.

-A black hole, which turned friendly and goes now by the name Bright Shiny Hole.

-An alien mindbending population which control all publishers on earth.

-A very feminine shaped and colored landscape of the Planet Venus.

inside a refrigerator (navigate it like ice climbers or something)

inside the internet (think sort of like virtual reality style)

a world of all simple shapes (think building blocks)

inside a crustacean's shell

living inside of a novel (could have an interesting take on story progression as well, like smudging words changes what happens)

i think those would all be pretty cool ideas

- A school, hospital or public swimming pool (are there any computer games where you enter a swimming pool by night??? turning lights and everything on for whatever reason?)

-> you have to explore lockers that have been abandoned (keys lost long ago or something) and rooms normally locked like the janitors closet or for the school thing different classrooms like biology, chemistry, physics labs or the arts classroom. Going there by night would be fun, sneaking around, solving puzzles by combining things from different areas.

My school had its arts class on the top floor, there was an observatory above it, so if you had something to do in the back rooms (full of canvases and sculptures from students who left long ago...) you could sneak up there to watch the area from above (never went by night, so never watched any stars except the sun from there).

Hm, lots of ideas with sneaking around somewhere by night...

- 24h shopping mart: like on Malcolm in the middle, the actor who plays Bulldog on Frasier lives in the supermarket mysteriously helping the employees...

South Korean high school baseball match...

Since Tim had Hamburg already on his list:

- the Hamburger Speicherstadt

- Spice museum or an old spice warehouse in general

- coffee roasters/warehouse

- Miniatur Wunderland (biggest model train set in the world :D)

OK, enough nonsense brainstorming for tonight :P

Sign in to follow this