Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

You guys, these ideas were really good. I don't want to blow any secrets, but professional artists may be drawing some of these right now. Stay tuned.

Has this helped spark ideas in your mind for the game? It is awesome picking your brain, I really enjoy when you explain how the things in your games came about.

MY MIND WAS JUST BLOWN!! I NEVER REALISED RON GILBERT MADE PAJAMA SAM, PUTT PUTT, and FREDDIE THE FISH. YOU ALL LITERALLY FORMED MY CHILDHOOD!!!!!!!

-A kind of reverse hollow bubble world, where people live at the center in the air and the sky above (and around) them is solid. And if they want to travel to outer space they would have to build, like, drill-spaceships to dig through the sky....But maybe space is liquid and they risk flooding the whole world if they make that? So, space is liquid, the sky is solid, and people and civilization are made of gas.

-A beautiful fungi world growing from the guts of a long dead titanic holy-monster that is taking eons to decompose, it's not very original isn't it? But i like it. Maybe the gigantic flies swarming around would be like angels. Their sightings would be rare omens of good fortune to it's inhabitants.

-A world in the blue smoke of a comet. They are nomads always moving with the comet, if they linger for too long in a place, their smoke world vanishes with them, but if they move too close to the tail of fire, they burn. But maybe thats a good thing? they want to reach the fire because it's like transcend, some kind of nirvana or shit like that. But it's elusive and they always end just moving to not be vanished with the smoke.

(I hope some of this make sense it has been hard trying to write it in english)

Greg you MACHINE, you!

Another one from me: the interior of a huge spaceship cruising through the black void. Computer terminals scattered around the place have chat clients installed, and someone else is messaging the player through them, claiming to be on the ship and, like the player, hopelessly lost.

I just realised my contributions tend to be places + some prescribed way of player interaction. Tim, you asked just for the former but I can't help it! I come from a D&D background where you can make up fantastic locales on the spot, but which fall flat unless the players are given something interesting or a reason to care about the place.

In case it's not too late (and I'll admit I didn't read all 39 pages to see if these are repeats...):

1. The universe from the perspective of an incredibly huge person.. stepping on galaxies

They kinda did this on a godzilla/giant fighting robot scale in psychonauts during the Fishopolis level.

Yeah, I thought about that but with this the scale is about a hundred thousand trillion times bigger (10 to the 17) so it might be a tad different... Which leads me to another thought:

7. Dark matter castle. We could have some wild speculation on what the heck dark matter actually is!

You guys, these ideas were really good. I don't want to blow any secrets, but professional artists may be drawing some of these right now. Stay tuned.

Awesome. Maybe soon it's time for: "Let’s brainstorm Characters together!" ;)

* chuck noriss`s chest hair

* bullet train

* a football stadium thats been sucked into space

* top hat store in a world without hats

* sinkhole

* mad killer`s hole where he keeps his prisoners

* flowchart

* the side of a building as stock market people are falling

* mansion, nuff said

* alien orphanage

* grim fundango

* im a genius

* acid pit

* climbing on a dragon/ godzilla.

A psychonaut level? That would be cool

Other i can think of... hmm

Ant-farm

Prison for mentally ill patients

A tree

Since it might be 2 dimensions, how about a lvl where the two has to cooporate. Where they are at the same location in different dimensions, then they have to each solve puzzles to change things in the other dimension, so the other one can move forward etc.

Graveyard

Sewer-level (every game has them, and every one hates them)

heaven (with clouds n cool stuff)

I'm currently watching the European Championship, so my two ideas are:

- the final of the European Championship (let's say any sports final you can think of)

- inside a ball during any sports event you can think of

Whoa! They are drawing the nudist bar idea?

Mediterranean sea street with high rocky coasts and huge forts on top of them with cannons shining in the sun because of hostile countries.

Desert full of fata morganas coming and going.

Solar energy plant where water is boiled by reflecting sunlight upon it.

This one is in France, near the border with Spain.

SuperStock_4107-12238.jpg

An inside-out world. People walking on the inside crust and will fall into space if they dig outward. A mix of buildings old and new going from the ground "upward" to reach the other side of the world as a shortcut. A tangled mess of girdered elevators and stone stairs and slides make up the center of the "sky" where the buildings from all over the world meet.

... Am I over thinking this?

I have an idea. How about inside a nudist colony? It could be a funny location and also you could use creative ways to cover up the naughty bits. I think a lot of good jokes could be had in that type of setting.

Inside of a t.v. when someone falls asleep with their finger pressing the channel up button.

Under a disorganized giant's bed.

On the shoe of said giant as he walks to and from work.

Stuck on a foreign game show without knowledge of the language.

Boot Camp.

In a Spanish Soap Opera.

Some more ideas:

In a 2D world with top-down view. Only the character is still regular 2D.

Inside a clock (Blocking gears to open new paths?)

I know this kind of thing has been suggested multiple times. So basically I'm saying that I support the idea, as well as suggesting a possible gameplay mechanic.

The room where weather is made. This could lead to some interesting environmental puzzles, like covering the room in ice to get icicles which you could then use to break a window or something like that ( kind of a twist on the ice world concept) or making it rain until the room is full enough of water to access a different level. This could of course be combined with the ice mechanic so first you flood the room, the you turn that water into ice. Infinite possibilities! :D

I'd also like to extend on the liver idea I mentioned somewhere else in this topic. You could be in someone's body and manipulate them, causing the environment to change in a "Bowser's Inside Story" kind of way.

Cubism would be nice as well. Alternatively, a world made up of different art styles (as in, one screen for each one).

A 1970s sci-fi version of Hell where everything is run by old computers and conveyor belts where Stan is the CEO of a Boat Building company powered and manned by the souls of the deceased.

Inside of a comic book where every Scene/Picture Box has a different theme.

A world created by the imagination and mental images of Duke Nukem, Guillermo del Toro or Agent Mulder.

The island from Lost.

Underneath the fingernail of a giant.

Inside of the Tardis.

Tim Burton World.

The birth of the galaxy as the big bang is taking place.

Frozen Flames... wait no.

I like curvy glass. I'm thinking a mad apothecary shop with dali-esque elongated test tubes and spiral fluid separators.

Or maybe just an enormous room full of every era lightbulb imaginable - nothing but rows and towers of bulbs hanging on metallic casters and lights turning on/off to usher you through the maze.

A 1970s sci-fi version of Hell where everything is run by old computers and conveyor belts where Stan is the CEO of a Boat Building company powered and manned by the souls of the deceased.

Anybody else thing 'Stan' is the perfect name for Satan?

Some of my favourite location design is in the Earthworm Jim games. Obvously they've all been done, but an interesting source of inspiration. The villi people level comes to mind, inside some intestines, with the kind of non sequitur simon says/game show sequence at the end. On the other hand, I'm always a supporter of fairly "mundane" settings. I'm all in favour of navigable, well lit environments over "moody" dark spaces. I liked the British Museum/British Museum tube station levels in Broken Sword II, the former for introducing a kind of familiarity as a real world location, the latter as it's a real place, but somewhere that's usually inaccessible. It's obviously kind of interesting to look at familiar surrounding in a different way like that. Or a cowboy reenactment world. Or a landfill site. Or a world where everything's actually like a renaissance painting.

Maybe a world that exists in two versions: an "everyday-life" one and the "cartoony twisted" one, and you can switch between the two versions to solve puzzles.

Also, a world where all the conspiracy theories are true (think "The Illuminatus!" trilogy).

A very new world, in the sense that it's just starting to develop...and whatever that might mean. Maybe the amoeba's are fighting for dominance over the other amoebas. Maybe your character's get to screw around with that and see the repercussions.

Jolly Apocalypse: it's where the world has ended, but everybody's kinda excited about it.

Mount Olympus. Gods fighting over things is petty good fun.

Shoe-gaze Universe.

The "Reverse Mario World" where the PAINTING jumps into YOU!

I'm done now.

Off-topic sorta post:

You talked about these characters being separated, maybe for a significant portion of the game, but I'd guess you'd still want to build their relationship. This post is to recommend watching the movie Castaway on the Moon. It's Korean and adorable and awesome. The characters never meet until the end, but it builds their relationship the whole time in such beautifully small ways, I thought it might be inspiration for you. Enjoy. Or don't. Whatever you want, Tim.

I'd like to think that someone at DF was tasked with combing through this 41 page thread to record every single location.

I have an idea. How about inside a nudist colony? It could be a funny location and also you could use creative ways to cover up the naughty bits. I think a lot of good jokes could be had in that type of setting.

I like this one. It can be very funny. Also goes well with the "coming of age" theme. We all had a nudist period, right?

*awkward silence*

ahem....

I'd like to think that someone at DF was tasked with combing through this 41 page thread to record every single location.

I'd like to think his name is Tim Schafer.

I'd like to think his name is Tim Schafer.

Eh, just so long as he's got a comb in his inventory, he'll be fine. He'll just have to figure out which action command to use with it.

MOAR LOCATIONS:

A micro-planet located at the bottom on a bottle of Jack Daniels.

A time reversed dimension, where you have to do things backwards.

The Double Fine Action Forums Universe (you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious. =P)

Mount Olympus.

A disco for angels, located on the head of a pin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin =P)

And finally .....

Inside the computer of an Adventure Game Addict ...... oh wait.

Sign in to follow this