Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update #3: Let's brainstorm Locations together!

I really liked the sand sea in Final Fantasy XII:

How about some other kind of sea? (Or replace sea with river)

- Sea of rose petals (when the waves peak the petals can start blowing in the wind)

- Sea of white feathers

- Sea of black oil

- Sea of nails (or snails)

- Sea of money (kickstarter cash of course)

- Sea of transvestites?.... no? champagne?? well.. any kind of sea except the regular kind i guess..

- The subatomic realm. With quarks and hadrons and stuff. What kind of stuff you're "inside" (e.g. wood, metal) would change how the environment looks.

- Inside or riding on a packet travelling through the Internet.

- Inside a lock.

- Inside a giant cupcake or other baked good.

- Inside sound itself. Specifically, music.

Here are some of my ideas:

- walking around a human shaped planet (trying to figure out in the process who it is perhaps).

- a world where you walk on cielings (in some kind of mall, school, whatever). Life goes on on the floor, and you can look up and see them, without them seeing you.

- a party with all kinds of VIP sections (kind of like the ones you see in Blade, where you end up in f**ked up places).

- some kind of weird factory (newspaper, needles, cheese factory a-la Mouse Hunt).

- A musical level (with songs starting up without notice, and no-cut scene stuff, I'm talking WHILE PLAYING here :) ).

- Walking inside a slideshow - where the scenery keeps changing, and you can choses the pictures to display (maybe even find them)?

- A world of math (math is fun, RIGHT) :P. But seriously, something with equations, geometry, starting from 2d into 3d and more...

Hope something here inspires someone at the slightest.

Personaly on a back of a horse lightning thunder cross beyond cloud of the storm fighting the wind and rain to finish my run when I overpass the stormy zone to a peaceful land with sun the horse change on one with bright light changing color all the run on a rainbow.

a magic tower where you can see only balcony and windows but no door I climb the rock one by one hoping rise to the firts windows but it close i must climb higher and higher and the same time the structure of the tower change to became a tree where each balcony are a branch when i am on the top of tower it look like a house on a tree with full life green branch and grass

on a desert I can see a oasis but much I try to reach it more it seem far away, so I trace a canal on the sand and then the water of the oasis came to and more I trace a complex conduit more flower and tree grow around me and the water canal. Finally when I finish to trace a beautiful conduit looking like a tree on a sky view I'm on the oasis full of fruit and life.

In any video game I've always thought snowy places were beautiful. Anything that that would be awesome.

A huge early 20th century styled hotel in the middle of a completely different setting - A long-forgotten ancient civilization (one more akin to Mesopotamian civilizations as opposed to the video game staple of a village in a jungle/island that's full of "the natives" holding spears and wanting to sacrifice you to their all-mighty sun god).

Jigsaw World!

(As in the puzzle... not that guy from the Saw movies.... although that could be good too...)

The Graveyard of Good Intentions - where despite being good, clever, honest, and hardworking the banality of the status quo & the triumph of the base rules the day. (GET IT?!) Think something cut from the any middle 3rd of any Wes Anderson film.

population:

Nihilists! (vee beleeve in nossing) stylized mopers or ghosty beatniks.

Pumped up Superheros who only exist in 2 dimensions, but wish they had 3rd.

Crazy __________'s Used Clown Lot.

Though not at night, because that would be a bridge too far. A creepy, creepy bridge.

Is this still live?

Ok, here are some ideas:

- Underneath Lake & and Supervolcano Toba.

- Inside Qin Shi Huang's Mausoleum (along with all the Terracotta Warriors & Horses and the rest).

- In a bamboo forest (like in House of Flying Daggers).

- Outside/ inside/ around a bar & gas station out in the middle of the desert (like in Romeo Is Bleeding).

- At the Siena's Palio Horse Race.

- At the ancient coastal passage of Thermopylae (Hot Gates).

- Inside Melissani Lake/ Cave & Drogarati Cave.

- In a city like Zion (Matrix).

Need to think about interior locations.

I know I'm late to the game on this, too.

What about a "breakfast world" level? Lots of bacon. (Oh, do I have your attention now?) Hero is powered by bacon that he/ she has to collect or follows the scent to the level's goal. Pancakes covered in sticky syrup have to be arranged for a puzzle, eggs are bouncy. Level boss is a sea-monster from a cereal box. Hose him with orange juice!

Also:

-Inside a broken pinball machine

-Inside the mind of an ADHD 5-year-old who's been in a car seat for 6 hours

-Dog World

-The Internet, if it existed in 1960

-80's music video land (Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, DEVO, Men w/o Hats "Safety Dance")

-Baby Muscle Gym

-White screen and the typed, tangible (climbable, maneuverable) words of a conversation between Tom Waits and Dog, the Bounty Hunter.

Some of these may have been on the 46 pages that came before this reply.

On a zeppelin passing a blimp.

On a ocean diving capsule passing a snorkler (as part of the sinkhole world tour)

Riding a Moai statue into the sunset.

Foiling a plot where roadies attempt to steal a Moai statue for the bands gig on the easter isles.

Doing a wing walking stunt because the acrobat was suspiciously struck by acrophobia.

Playing a game of trump against the devil using collectors cards (monkeys and other three headed primates). Or playing trump against dogs with cat collectable cards.

Climbing down a ladder to save a person from a fire. Climbing up a ladder to rescue an item from burning.

Good god look at the size of this fucker.

Achem..

I agree with everything jtir123 said. Additionally:

*Land of the Moonshramp

*George Lucas' Baby Farm

*Tim Schafer's spleen

*Constantinople, a la The Residents

Hmmf it seems you need to be granted True Believer status on The Flat Earth Society to get the TRUE low down on the moonshramp, else I would link it.

Man if my fellow true believers at The Flat Earth Society find out I leaked this very sensitive **Esoteric Knowledge** they would banish me past the ice wall! Good thing nobody here knows my TRUE identity!!!

How to meet the moonshramp (mods sticky please)

« on: June 05, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »

ive seen a couple of posts and i have gotten some private messages about how to meet moonshramp. since im the only guy here whos seen one (as far as i know) i have created this informative thred on how to meet one.

first off you got to know this: they are highly intelligent pan dimentional entities that to the simple brainwashed masses would appear to be hostile and prone to biting innocent childeren. Just dont piss them off by doing these obvious faux pas:

1) telling them they look like earth shrimp (definatly will bite you for that seriously why would you do that)

2) laughing at their obsession for moonrocks (how would you feel if they laughed about your obsession for food?)

3) saying their eyes are not able to see the things we cant see (they can see 2 extra moon phases dont be a hater)

now if you follow those three things im pretty sure they wont bite you. now you just need to meet one and here is how:

1) find a moon rocks: this is a lot easier then it sounds because during a few days in the middle of spring and winter the moon goes thru a phase 5 and 6 moon oscillation that causes the moon to fling rocks everywhere giving a higher chance of rocks hitting earth somehwere near you. i think they have moon rock detectors on ebay and kajijji

2) cook the moon rock: now i know that they are hot from entering the earths atmosphere and shramps really really like cooked rocks but the ones u find will probably be cold. just heat it in an oven at 420 degrees ferenhight for about an hour and put it on the roof of your house

Report to moderator Logged

equaltriangle

Re: How to meet the moonshramp (mods sticky please)

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »

if you do that then you jusdt need to wait. if you do it at night you will see their shells in the dark easier cause they reflect light better. the combination of the smell of cooked rock, the visual cues of a moon rock to an earth shramp and the fact that you put it on your roof which is probably pretty high up will cause them to find it quicker. when you see the orb decending to your house you just need to climb up to the roof of your place before they leave (you cant be on the roof with the rock since the shramps are shy to newbies). Just remember to get a list to ask all your questions and stuff.

The Antiques Roadshow

That crazy festival in the dessert where everybody is dressed half naked and on drugs. i cant remember what its called.

A Hipster Coffee house

A gay bar

A Crocheting convention

Tom Cruise's house

A Self help meeting for recovering chocolate addicts / glue sniffers / racists / gamblers / sex addicts / procrastinators

The call center for a sex line

Mumbai dive bar

A dive bar thats only for divers

The olympics opening ceremony

Stuck inside a giant toilet

A frozen loading screen

Headquarters for a religious bunny rabbit cult obsessed with preaching abstinence

A future where the world is run by sentient moths

Shrunk down and navigating the fibers of somebodys dirty jeans

In a 5 star roach motel

Stuck inside a gross gas station bathroom

East Germany

Adelaide

Navigating a maze of unkempt pubic hair

i think i'm stretching now.

Sorting Office, I worked in one. It's boring to work there but it looks cool and there's lots of mail to steal.

A planet in which its gravity repels you, forcing you to live upside down. Streets, roads and pathways would all be platforms hanging from the ground.

I'm probably only going to wind up repeating others...sorry in advance...but anyway:

- Inside Hunter S. Thompson's brain. Prior to him violently extricating it from his skull in 2005, that is.

- A neighborhood barbecue being held by Peter H. Gilmore.

- A world controlled by a dystopian government ruled by people who have been possessed by their huge, bushy eyebrows, which have somehow gained sentience.

- A training academy for mooks. SOMEBODY has to teach the typical supervillain's henchmen how to be so utterly incompetent, don't they?

- In A World in which a chaotic supervillain is going around murdering all the narrators, leaving no one to describe what is happening in the st-AAAA!!

How about:

- A metal universe, where there's a bunch of metal structures, in a modern sort of way

- A World full of lizards, where you can explore certain lizards' abilities such as: camouflage, agility, regeneration, poisonous saliva, and adherence to vertical surfaces.

- A card game competition. All sorts of card games.

- Obviously, a pirate ship or a day of the dead celebration

- A World of Geishas, samurais and maybe a World of Kung Fu.

- A World of vikings.

- The allucinations field. A totally desert and dark land where worlds appear like illusions. This is the origin place of all allucinations, dreams, mirages etc.

- An european city with visual-style inspired by expressionist movies. An example:

Golem_1920_Poster.jpg

- a fabulous ancient city made ​​of crystal or salt statues where everything falls apart at the slightest touch

- The Nebula's Realm

nebulosatestadicavallo.jpg

This is not my language, sorry for errors!

The local corner hobby shop full of crazy RC toys and useful items. And in the back is a ladder that leads up to the roof where an entire clubhouse / base of operations can be found.

@Drgeert, while conceptually the idea of a hall of mirrors sounds fun, I find it incredibly frustrating in videogames. In real life, it's novel to think you're walking in open space only to realize you're closed in. In a game it's just a magical code wall that's there's no way you can see because it really is invisible. I would literally hate to see that in a game.

(I mentioned this in the codename thread too) The codename gave me an idea for a place, perhaps we could explore zihuatenjo?! By now I imagine it to be a decrepit gang infested hellhole of a place but that's just what most sea-facing towns have become thanks to our clearly successful war on drugs :P.

Sign in to follow this