Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmashManiac

David Cage keynote about Experiencing Stories with/in Digital Games

Hi everyone, I just remembered about a relatively obscure keynote by David Cage (Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain) I assisted last year, and since I thought it was related to Double Fine Adventure I wanted to share it with you:

Description: Concordia University held three of the 29 symposiums staged under the banner of Entretiens Jacques Cartier. On October 1, the symposium titled Experiencing Stories with/in Digital Games / Récit(s) et jeux numériques was held in the J.A. DeSève Cinema. Keynote Speaker: David CAGE, Founder and CEO, Quantic Dream.

He does some very interesting things with his games and I'll keep buying them to support the effort to do something different, but damn if he doesn't totally fuck up the endings of all his games.

While I tend to love gaming talks, I am loath to listen to David Cage anymore. He seems to think that games are basically movies, but better.

Also, what Zenzuke said.

Uh, I didn't notice anything wrong with Heavy Rain's ending. What are you guys talking about?

Also, you don't have to agree with David Cage's philosophy about games to appreciate his talks. I just find interesting the way he approaches game design in order to create emotions.

Oh man... the ending of Heavy Rain was one of the cheapest twist endings I've ever seen xD

And let's not talk about the last half of Farenheit...

Now that I think about it... the man is definitely getting better...

Oh man... the ending of Heavy Rain was one of the cheapest twist endings I've ever seen xD

Again, what are you talking about? The origami killer's identity? Because that wasn't part of the game's ending, so I'm very confused by your comments.

Now the one that's confused is me... ¿there's supposed to be another ending where the identity of the killer is NOT the one that I got? The cheapness comes in the way that ALL the clues to the killer's identity come in the last scenes, making many of the previous scenes of the game red herrings that make no sense...

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the man's games, but capable writer he's not.

Sign in to follow this