Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tconner

Your Own Adventure Game Ideas!

Hi everyone!

While trying to come up with some good adventure game location ideas (for this thread here), I accidentally came up with an idea for an entire adventure game! In fact, a lot of the hundreds of responses to that thread could be expanded into complete game ideas. After searching through the twenty pages of topics on this forum, I was shocked to see no topic made solely for the purpose of unloading your own adventure game ideas (if I'm wrong about this, please tell me where it is!).

So, let's post any adventure game ideas we have here! Or, if you are one of the many talented people who has actually made or is in the process of making your own adventure game (like the folks from this thread here), tell us about it here, too! These aren't meant to be "pitches" to the people at Double Fine or anything... just a fun place to share ideas.

For example, the idea I came up with: A kid who flunks history class keeps getting sent back in time to right before some of history's greatest disasters (e.g. Ford's Theater, the deck of the Titanic, Pompeii, etc.). He must find a way to prevent the catastrophe from occurring or save all the people involved with only his limited knowledge of history to help him!

The title: "Doomed to Repeat It"... or something like that. Maybe that's the tagline. Or "Tragedy Plus Time"... yeah that's good!

That actually sounds a lot like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Well, what if the boy is replaced by a robot version of himself that throws him off a cliff, then he has to play twister with Death, and goes to heaven to befriend alien scientists that make a Radio Shack robot version of him, and he somehow picks up a Renaissance era girlfriend and wins the Battle of the Bands and the Kiss song "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" plays over the credits?

That's all I can remember of Bogus Journey.

Other ideas I have include "Robots sent from the future to destroy the unborn leader of the future rebellion, a scientific experiment accidentally left unfinished when his creator dies is discovered by a makeup saleswoman, and a dystopian society where a scientist kidnaps children to steal their dreams." So if you're an agent in the year 1986, please call me. I can make you a fortune.

Back on topic - when I was a kid I played the King's Quest games with my Dad. In visceral terms that I didn't fully comprehend then, I wanted to make an adventure game about a father and son learning about each other and becoming better people. Something to do with family pictures and our parents living inside of us and family being a form of immortality. Except with werewolf-gargoyles kidnapping various family members. There were no fan editors at the time so instead I mostly made my mom mothers day cards in ZZT.

It's not my idea, but I found the sort of opening position in Bioforge to be really engaging; trying to figure out what's going on while knowing only that you're in the middle of something bad happening. The same goes for Yahtzee's 1213.

I want an adventure game where a sidekick has a massive crush on the protagonist but he/she is totally oblivious about it throughout the game. And epic friendzone adventure! :D

Sign in to follow this