Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Etienne

Psychonauts & Amnesia now on Humble Bundle

Hey guys,

just in case you didn´t know already, I wanted to let you know that

Psychonauts & Amnesia: The Dark Descent (and more...)

are now available (DRM-free) via the "Humble Bundle":

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Got mine... now just need to save up to get a computer that meets the minimum requirements for Bastion...

This deserves its very own thread. This bundle contains the best games ever (already have 3 of 5). Currently playing Bastion and it's also really good. Will try Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP next.

Got mine even though I already owned almost every game in the bundle. And gifted 2 to some friends. This is absolutely crazy!

Got mine even though I already owned almost every game in the bundle. And gifted 2 to some friends. This is absolutely crazy!

Yeah, so I already owned Limbo in Steam, but it did not translate into a gift. Did it do that for you?

I think he meant he just bought 2 more humble bundles as gifts, not that he got them as tradable items in Steam. People would exploit that. I thought Amnesia was just hyped up but no.... it is truly scary as all hell...

I don't care for the likes of Amnesia. Forcing a player to go through the whole game with "no weapons" just to "make it scray" doesn't work for me. Much like how it's impossible to feel bad for the victims in a slasher flick because they're so damn stupid,I can't really feel "fear" just because the guy you're forcing me to play as is too stupid to pick up a shovel and beat that chirping hell beast that wants to slice him open like a christmas goose over it's malformed head with it. I mean,the guy's afraid of the dark. How do I identify with that kind of thing? I love the dark. It's the total opposite of me.

So in conclusion,I already have Psychonauts and even if I didn't,I'd just buy it on it's own. Fuck Amnesia.

If I'm in a dark corridor with slimy things after me I would be terrified and run like hell. But maybe that's just me. Everybody else might be trained in combat, always armed to the teeth with unlimited ammunition and healthpacks. In that case I guess you can't really get into Amnesia.

Yeah, so I already owned Limbo in Steam, but it did not translate into a gift. Did it do that for you?

No, as Terminated said I bought 2 additional bundles to gift them to a couple of friends. Specially to one who is not much of a gamer anymore. I´m sure he´ll love Limbo and Sword & Sworcery. Maybe I can turn him to the Light Side again :D

If I'm in a dark corridor with slimy things after me I would be terrified and run like hell. But maybe that's just me. Everybody else might be trained in combat, always armed to the teeth with unlimited ammunition and healthpacks. In that case I guess you can't really get into Amnesia.

No,I'm saying there's a shovel on the floor. A mutant beastie is coming down the hall. Do you A) pick up the shovel and prepare to defend yourself if necessary or B) suck thumb and wait for the end?

No,I'm saying there's a shovel on the floor. A mutant beastie is coming down the hall. Do you A) pick up the shovel and prepare to defend yourself if necessary or B) suck thumb and wait for the end?

If you find a shovel in the game, by all means, pick it up and do what you want with it. Just don't expect to be able to kill a nightmarish monster with it. ;)

Three more games added to the bundle! Lone Survivor, Braid, and Super Meat Boy.

I've not played Lone Survivor, but I loved the other two.

Too much awesome.

The next bundle better have GTA4 in it. I mean, how else are they gonna top this one?

I've never played Lone Survivor, but I saw it on Steam's new releases a while back and it has been on my wish list! Wee!

Note to Amnesia fans:

All games in the Penumbra series are currently 50% off on Steam. More spookiness and thrills await. =]

Three more games added to the bundle! Lone Survivor, Braid, and Super Meat Boy.

I've not played Lone Survivor, but I loved the other two.

Lone Survivor got a great review from Gamespot. I was interested in checking it out. Already owned Braid, but wouldn't mind trying Super Meat Boy. Picked it up!

Awesome bundle. It's a steal, really. Though, I do rather think having a game published by WB is seriously stretching the definition of "Indie."

Funny enough, even with the ones just added today, Psychonauts is still the only one that hasn't popped up on the Ubuntu download link. =p

I already have Limbo and Psychonauts, but I'm tempted to get the bundle for Bastion, which I've heard is an excellent game. Amnesia as well, although I don't like horror games that much.

If you find a shovel in the game, by all means, pick it up and do what you want with it. Just don't expect to be able to kill a nightmarish monster with it. ;)

Things I've killed monsters with in video games: My bare hands (non-kung fu style), my bare hands (kung fu style),my own devious mind (psychic powers),my own devious mind (evil genius),raw sex appeal (female),raw sex appeal (male),a large dildo,a medium sized dildo (double ended),ping pong balls,homemade explosives,pure hate,singularity cannon,pimp cane shotgun,shovel,rake,pitchfork,machete,body parts (including the victim's own body parts),hamsters,a fish,a giant shark,can of soda,squirt gun,fire extinguisher,the Ark of the Covenant,heat vision,rubber chicken,and spanking.

At least some of these should be viable weapons in Amnesia.

Things I've killed monsters with in video games: My bare hands (non-kung fu style), my bare hands (kung fu style),my own devious mind (psychic powers),my own devious mind (evil genius),raw sex appeal (female),raw sex appeal (male),a large dildo,a medium sized dildo (double ended),ping pong balls,homemade explosives,pure hate,singularity cannon,pimp cane shotgun,shovel,rake,pitchfork,machete,body parts (including the victim's own body parts),hamsters,a fish,a giant shark,can of soda,squirt gun,fire extinguisher,the Ark of the Covenant,heat vision,rubber chicken,and spanking.

At least some of these should be viable weapons in Amnesia.

Far more awful than Fear is Inability to Fear

Witold Gombrowicz, Trans-Atlantyk

Now that I think about it, my raw sex appeal should have killed those monsters on the spot. Hopefully they'll implement that feuture for the sequel.

Far more awful than Fear is Inability to Fear

Witold Gombrowicz, Trans-Atlantyk

Look,I'm not saying I don't get scared. I'm just saying if you want to scare me,you have to do a little better than what looks like somebody grabbed some guy's lips and yanked as hard as they could. This is especially annoying when there's no reason the player can't defend himself. If you want to tie my hands,give me a reason they're tied. Like maybe I'm playing Steven Hawkings or something. Don't give me a physically fit man who has access to anything that can be used as a weapon. Then it's not scary,my character's just being a stupid douche bag and he begins to get that "he deserves to die for being so stupid" thing going.

Lemme give you an example. Let's say in Amnesia,they let you pick up the shovel and use it as a weapon. Here's the thing. 1. It's not a very effective weapon. In fact,it might be completely ineffective as a weapon. These monsters could be completely invulnerable to blunt force trauma. Or even any weapon you find. This makes them scarier and you explain why you can't fight them. 2. What's say you go with the idea that it stuns them or even kills them. Then you can throw out the idea that more monsters now know where you are and are coming after you. Kind of like in zombie movies. It's not that the individual zombies are dangerous,it's that they work as a group and they keep coming. Plenty of reason to hide from them.

So lets put that together. Let's say you can knock the monsters out with the shovel. Let's say you decide to make sure it's dead and cut it's head off. You think it's safe. Then you hear more monsters coming! And the one you killed? It's crawling around looking for it's head! You better get out of there! See? Scarier. The monsters are more fearsome and your character can't be faulted cause he did everything he could to stop them. At this point,it makes sense to run and hide and avoid them. It also gives the player an "out" if they get cornered. You can knock the monster out for a bit at the cost of more showing up eventually. It lets you have a chance to work out the level and make mistakes. Always nice to have.

So to sum up,I'm not "unscarable",it just takes more than,well,these guys to scare me.

Amnesia doesn't scare me, but that may only be because I'm too aware of the game mechanics that dictate how the gatherers behave: It's easy to predict when they'll be triggered, they can't see you if you can't see them (to a hilarious degree. Holding a bucket in front of your face is sometimes enough to make them turn around and leave), and they completely disappear when they give up. When I trigger a gatherer (or its big brother, the brute), it just means that I have to spend a few minutes staring at a corner until it gets distracted and goes poof.

I still like Amnesia. I think it's a pretty good game and a fine example of a first-person adventure game. It just doesn't really scare me.

One recent game that did manage to scare me, however, is SCP Containment Breach. The game is only in alpha and is quite unfinished and buggy (the intro sequence seems especially buggy. It's often for the best to just skip it), but SCP-173 is a relentless pursuer and can be quite difficult to deal with in face-to-face encounters. You can't make it give up, you can only try to widen the gap between it and yourself, and it gives you little warning aside from a scraping sound as it moves.

This stuff is all subjective, though. I've heard of people trying out SCP Containment breach and not being scared of it at all. Those same people might be incredibly frightened by Amnesia.

SCP looks to be more about jump scares and making things as confusing as possible. Plus,the main enemy looks ridiculous and he teleports. If he can teleport,how'd they even keep it contained at all? Why does it only move when you're not looking at it? And why would you keep such a thing alive in the first place? In the end,it doesn't make a lot of sense at the concept level. If this game's gonna fly,it's gonna be on the strength of it's game play.

But yeah,survival horror games need to scare you in some way. Either by presenting you with a bad situation,making you fear of the characters in the game,or just flat out creep you out. I don't think anyone knows how to do proper horror movies anymore,let alone games.

SCP looks to be more about jump scares and making things as confusing as possible. Plus,the main enemy looks ridiculous and he teleports. If he can teleport,how'd they even keep it contained at all? Why does it only move when you're not looking at it? And why would you keep such a thing alive in the first place? In the end,it doesn't make a lot of sense at the concept level. If this game's gonna fly,it's gonna be on the strength of it's game play.

But yeah,survival horror games need to scare you in some way. Either by presenting you with a bad situation,making you fear of the characters in the game,or just flat out creep you out. I don't think anyone knows how to do proper horror movies anymore,let alone games.

SCP Containment Breach is based on a sort of short story/creepypasta wiki (http://www.scp-wiki.net/) that's been around for a while, so it helps to be aware of the stories behind the various things encountered in it. Also, it's still in early alpha. They apparently still have more gameplay elements planned (like a way to actually beat the game, for starters) if development does indeed continue on it.

I think the one place, for me, where Containment Breach succeeded is making the threat really feel like a threat. The gatherers/brutes from Amnesia are just too easy to shake off, though I suppose if they were harder to get rid of, it might get in the way of the puzzles.

Bought it mostly for Psychonauts, which surprises me positively although it had received lots of praise that raised my expectations quite lot.

Now i just wish i had time to play the rest of these awesome games.

Well,the problem with SCP is that it goes the other way from Amnesia. Yes,the monster is a threat and there's no reasonable way to deal with it. But then you have the other end of the problem. Like I said,how do you contain something like that and why wouldn't you just destroy it at the first opportunity? If you've got it trapped in a room,LEAVE IT THERE! There's no reason to go in there. Ever. Lock him up and throw away the jail! As Junior Scientist Hawkins once observed "The sooner you get that thing off this station,the less likely it is to break loose and kill us all!" Yeah,it becomes very hard to justify how you're not spraying the room down with napalm the second you have it trapped.

There basically needs to be a way to escape the monster so it's not like Pac-Man where you can just get cornered and there's nothing you can do. It's scary at first,then it becomes annoying,then it's just frustrating. Really comes down to how it's done and all. I don't think "run from the invincible,teleporting monster" will carry a whole game. Maybe have sections where you hear it attacking other people while you traverse some environmentally hazardous area.

Sign in to follow this