Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rubyhope

Documentary:Status

I'm a bit trabbled by the long wait for the next update, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

i think that the biggest problem is the silence. nothing about updates, nor episodes for quite some time.

Same here.

Log onto forum, go here, post two-line message about episode status. That'd take, what, five minutes tops? I can't believe the whole 2PP team is so completely inundated with work 24/7 that they can't spend five minutes a week to keep us posted.

Don't let your excitement turn negative guys ;)

Just remember. We're this bloody impatient because the product so far has been brilliant, and the next episode will be great too. If I have to wait a bit longer for something good, so be it.

Don't let your excitement turn negative guys ;)

Just remember. We're this bloody impatient because the product so far has been brilliant, and the next episode will be great too. If I have to wait a bit longer for something good, so be it.

Not asking for anything other than an update ... that's not too hard, is it?

I think they are aware of this thread, but they are either on the way to releasing it or they still do not know when they are going to finish it.

Or there's a possibility they are so full of work that won't even open the internet to avoid distractions!

I wonder if they count the sidequests as released episodes? If that's the case, then we actually already got 2 new updates this month.

I wonder if they count the sidequests as released episodes? If that's the case, then we actually already got 2 new updates this month.

No, they don't, and they already said the new episode was supposed to be last week, then got delayed until this week.

Hey DF Chris Remo, (if I call him by name I know he will hear me!! I KNOW IT.)- what is with the really long delay of the episode release? I'd personally rather have full eps reasonably close to on time and as a priority and sidequests when ever they have them, than have the full eps pushed back in schedule to make room for editing and putting out the sidequest eps. Dunno if that's what's going on, but it feels that way. Would like it if you would weigh in on what's happening

Hey DF Chris Remo, (if I call him by name I know he will hear me!! I KNOW IT.)- what is with the really long delay of the episode release? I'd personally rather have full eps reasonably close to on time and as a priority and sidequests when ever they have them, than have the full eps pushed back in schedule to make room for editing and putting out the sidequest eps. Dunno if that's what's going on, but it feels that way. Would like it if you would weigh in on what's happening

The Sidequests are edited by a different person, so I don't think that's it.

Seriously, are we complaining this much about this? I know it's been awhile since the last release, but I trust 2PP and Double Fine to get quality stuff out. They're not going to release some sub-par junk. Even after they're done with us, they still have to have a quality product to sell to everyone else.

Hey guys,

Really sorry it's taking so long. It's not a matter of being pushed back for the sake of Sidequests; the Sidequests are purely bonus content. They don't really interfere with the schedule of the main episodes. Each main episode is a really big task for the 2 Player guys, and unfortunately sometimes it just takes longer than expected. There's not really much more to say beyond that; it's just one of the dangers of doing a project like this where there's so much material to deliver as it's being created. We think it's more important to take a bit more time and make sure it's all really great, because ultimately we have to live with the quality of anything that's released. It's coming soon though!

You must remember the different on sidequest and the documentary episodes. Sidequest are mostly either voice over with pictures or steady scene at 1 place recorder in 1 go. So that would need short editing time.

Documentary has allot of different shots combined to make an interesting story. Which will take allot of editing time.

Hey guys,

Really sorry it's taking so long. It's not a matter of being pushed back for the sake of Sidequests; the Sidequests are purely bonus content. They don't really interfere with the schedule of the main episodes. Each main episode is a really big task for the 2 Player guys, and unfortunately sometimes it just takes longer than expected. There's not really much more to say beyond that; it's just one of the dangers of doing a project like this where there's so much material to deliver as it's being created. We think it's more important to take a bit more time and make sure it's all really great, because ultimately we have to live with the quality of anything that's released. It's coming soon though!

Thanks for the response and for addressing my concerns! I'm glad that the Sidequests don't take precedence over the main episodes. Thanks for clearing that up for me, since it was important to me that I hear it from the horse's mouth.

I apologize, but that is BS!

It doesent take that long. I'm doing this myself and I have no idea

what could take so long.

Fancy titles?Animation?Stunts?Pyro?

It's a documentary! It should't be raw and not so heavyly edited.

And I could't disagree more. I rather have something fresh, than something

that happended 2 month ago and has some cool editing.

I don't want to bash them too hard but i have to second qapla's post.

I work in the industrial film industry and we are used to tight deadlines. I don't want to say my work is anything as good as theirs (i make Corporate Movies for Insurances i mean... the subject matter of Tim Schafer probably has more meat for creativity to it ;)) but i understand how the process works. I appreciate, that 2PP puts so much effort into the making of these documentaries, but i think a good editor/color grader can/should be able to edit one of those over the course of two to three weeks if at all. Then a couple of days for sound mixing and another half a day to render the stuff out.

Also, i must say, although i really like the Episodes and they contain great information, they're edited quite conservatively. Multi Camera Setup, one Tripod, one handheld, etc.

It's not like their doing Madonna Video Clips. But on the other hand, i don't know the guys so maybe i just imagine its all too easy ;)

But the problem of being fresh and current is still there. Basically all we're seeing was recorded a month ago or more. Instead of Sidequests i'd rather have Tim talking into a crappy Webcam and telling us what he's up to... but do so every other week. Or maybe the Double Fine guys should do their own videos with a little Flipcam. I'd like to see some unfiltered, raw but sincere stuff of the daily work life of those guys.

what could take so long.

You're right, the real reason is that they lost the entire footage and now busy reenacting it all with Lego.

Seriously, I think the real problem is lack of status update. We had this entire discussion before the release of episode 2. Seems to me it's preferable they release it when they feel it's ready rather than rushed it, even if it looks to some as if it's longer than it should.

I don't want to bash them too hard but i have to second qapla's post.

Also, i must say, although i really like the Episodes and they contain great information, they're edited quite conservatively. Multi Camera Setup, one Tripod, one handheld, etc.

Yeah,ecactly. I didn't even dare to mention that:-)

But the problem of being fresh and current is still there. Basically all we're seeing was recorded a month ago or more. Instead of Sidequests i'd rather have Tim talking into a crappy Webcam and telling us what he's up to... but do so every other week. Or maybe the Double Fine guys should do their own videos with a little Flipcam. I'd like to see some unfiltered, raw but sincere stuff of the daily work life of those guys.

Agree, I think they should do a feature cut. Then they can have a great looking cut and monthly more raw episodes.

I also don't want reality TV ,worrying what to show. If nothing happens, so be it.

Don't stage a fight between Tim and Ron because it get's boring to show people working on Computers.

I'm sure the delay is for very good reasons but what I would say is that this has been I think the first full week when we've heard nothing from either 2PP or Double Fine, in terms of updates, and so we've been feeling a little out of the loop - especially since this is the second week in a row we were told an update is coming. And there is a worry that the footage we're looking at is already a month old when we get to see it.

I don't want DF or 2PP to compromise on quality to deliver the project, but I do wonder if slightly more could be happening to give us a window on up-to-the-minute (or at least up to the week) updates on what's happening. In addition to the polished episodes I would be all for occasional, almost completely raw footage, released in the same week as it was recorded, of the crew just doing a tour of the DF offices (or at least the bits that are working on DFA right now, and asking everyone to show us what they're up to. Or something like that, to make it feel a lot more like we were up to speed. Even if it was an occasional forum post, with some pictures, that'd be cool.

It would be really nice to get little 1 minute webcam videos regularly, maybe one a week/fortnight from different people on the team so it doesn't always come down to Tim having to give up his time to do them. I love how well made the videos have been so far and I'd like to see them stay that way but having regular quick, bonus videos in between would be great.

Episode three is coming soon, sorry for the wait everyone. Lots of travel this month held things up. The edit has been approved and it's going into the final stages of post production.

On the bright side we have almost everything shot for episode four and we're going to try and get that one out in a more timely manner.

Episode three is coming soon, sorry for the wait everyone. Lots of travel this month held things up. The edit has been approved and it's going into the final stages of post production.

On the bright side we have almost everything shot for episode four and we're going to try and get that one out in a more timely manner.

Thank you for the update, Levering_2pp!

what could take so long.

I don't claim to know anything about film making, but I've seen lots of documentaries, and the best ones usually have beautifully crafted music and film editing, used for dramatic effect. They are making a documentary that's ultimately going to go on dvd/blu-ray and get sold to people. I think that's what they are going for. I don't think they want it to look cheap.

Also, this whole kickstarter funding thing is a huge experiment, and letting the backers have access to all this information is an experiment. I mean, the developers are giving out regular art, design, writing, and engineering updates on the forums in addition to these documentary videos. I don't think this kind of transparency has ever been done before on a professional game project. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out. I mean, we donated money. We did not buy a product. Yet, I can already start to see people getting more and more bossy and demanding about things. That's the drawback to this kind of funding system.

what could take so long.

There's all sorts of things that can hold up a documentary production. The episodes are all about different stages of the game's production, so this stage may just be lengthier than the previous two. They may have gotten into the editing room and found this episode was about something other than what they thought it was. Maybe they found they didn't have the footage they thought they did.

I'd rather wait a bit and receive a better, more coherent documentary.

I don't claim to know anything about film making, but I've seen lots of documentaries, and the best ones usually have beautifully crafted music and film editing, used for dramatic effect. They are making a documentary that's ultimately going to go on dvd/blu-ray and get sold to people. I think that's what they are going for. I don't think they want it to look cheap.

OK, and I know that much, doing it myself sometimes.

Your are comparing feature docs with monthly episodes?

The editing process is not that elaborate.

It can be, but it shouldn't. The episodes should keep us up to date.

And Documentarys should be about the content, not the look.

And it's nothing bossy about expecting something they promised. ("monthly","next week")

Yes, we donated, but not for charity ,but for a particular purpose.

The whole Projekt ist about trust. That's why you should keep your promisses.

And communicate if something goes wrong (somebody gets sick, brocken Computer)

Sign in to follow this