Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rubyhope

Documentary:Status

Unless you're suggesting they used this project as an excuse to buy stuff for use in other projects, but that would be a serious accusation and I doubt you meant that.

And a preposterous one, no less; they didn't foresee the amount of funding they got and even then it would be a comically circuitous plan.

It seems that people like the episodes, but there's an appetite for up to date footage too, I think we've made it clear, and we know that DF and 2PP read this stuff, so hopefully they might be talking about how to address it.

I wouldn't mind to see some rough cuts, but I doubt it will happen, it will probably dilute the final from of the Episode, unless they specifically pick stuff that won't be included in the final cut to share.

First of all I don't think the episodes will be diluted because we know about their content before they are finished; We can choose if we want to have the final product without knowing what's going on or choose to see the rough cut and enjoy the final cut for the production quality later. The rough cut will obviously not be publicly available, but at least it's current for those who care about that.

I don't see anything unethical about that, cameras are tools, if they used them for another project as well since they got them is completely natural, they are not going to hide them away if they got something else to shoot, because this project was the reason they bought them for. Unless you're suggesting they used this project as an excuse to buy stuff for use in other projects, but that would be a serious accusation and I doubt you meant that.

Not saying it's unethical to use the equipment for something else, but if it causes delay in the actual production plan they might need to reconsider their priorities. It would be diluting the actual reason why the equipment was bought. Who's spending the manhours on the equipment, and couldn't those be better applied in getting the doc out faster? I get that there's probably a lot of mistakes and a lot of editing to get it down to the 20 min-perfect-episode-format, but really, if the workforce actually was focused towards it, I don't think it would have taken so long. Of course people might get sick and have life complications, but without brief updates on production status, who's to say that their not taking on more work than they can handle? These are not accusations, rather speculations, and I like their work so far, but like DoubleFieps said it would be nice to at least hear from them on the production status page.

If this continues the game might be finished long before the actual documentary. And because the documentary is going to be shipped with the game it will also delay the shipment of the game. Yes, we'll have beta's of the game to test, I guess, but I'm just saying that betas of the doc wouldn't be unwelcome either. There's always a risk of it being leaked by someone in the forum, but the same thing can happen to the final product. Of course they don't want to spoil the game either, but it really is completely up to whoever to actually see whatever they upload. I really like that the final doc is spoiler free so I can recommend/show it to someone when it's done, but like the Sidequests, instead of only being extended scenes, there could be some featured WIP that actually is more in the now, rather then in the then. Having the employees stop working to record testimonials could also impact the progress of the game. And wouldn't it also be interesting to see a production schedule of the game at some point so you could actually know what to expect to be discussing in the forums? Some kind of introduction to the team that's working on the game could also be interesting.

I also totally understand that they might do other things and get jobs with more pressing deadlines during their production time, using their old equipment to do those jobs is a waste of time, and we don't want them to do that, but I tend to look at it this way:

If I hired someone to build me a house, and I payed in advance for it to be (estimated) done by the fall, I wouldn't really like that the contractors took on other jobs before my house is built. It's of course completely up to the contractors if not stated otherwise, but I wouldn't like it.

There are times during the construction where the contractors would have to wait for a shipment of for instants roofing tiles, and it wouldn't be fair by me to not allow them to work elsewhere when they can't do anything anyways.

But if it leads to a hold up, where the tiles are just sitting on my lawn and eventually winter comes, and everything gets covered in snow that eventually might lead to a cave in through the roof, there's going to be a lot make up for that.

Had the contractors kept to what was previously discussed it could have been avoided. I probably won't have to pay extra for it, but if I sold my apartment, (because I was looking forward to moving in by winter,) I'd have to rearrange a lot things. I might even have to pay for somewhere to stay while everything is being repaired.

Again I wouldn't have grounds for a compensation from the contractors, I mean it was only estimated to be done by fall, and they are paying for the damages they caused and my insurance would probably pay for my extra costs. That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather move in when I actually planned to than to relocate to a temporary place, with a lot of other plans going to waste; like spending the family Christmas in the new house etc. (Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice.)

At least production schedules where I've worked kind of have very similar traits to that of building a house; delays are inevitable, but it's not fun for any of the parties(Contractor/Client.) 2PP Are kind of making(;building) us(the backers) a documentary(;house), and I actually am interested in knowing what to expect once it is done. I'm able to see the difference between a WIP (substructure) & the final product(house; walls roof and all), and really think that this forum is a great opportunity for them to get feedback on their vision. Feedback really is invaluable and through these forums they can get it for free. I wouldn't mind presenting this documentary to my peers one day, (free advertising,) but if I actually could vouch for it, by knowing it became as good as it could be, it would make it so much easier. There could have been scenes in the doc that the backers could vote for as -important/-good or not -. And if for instant one of the editors are sick and the production is delayed he/she could come back and know what the community actually would like to feature in the doc. Of course the final decision lays with 2PP.

I firmly believe that if you want something you should state it, instead of just keeping your hope to yourself. So be it that this is the Discussion and Feedback forum it would be a great place to do so. If the general point of this is to keep to oneself then just tell me and I'll shut it.

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy so I'll just stop here. They're doing a great job and the final product will be awesome, regardless of when I get hold of it. :)

I am in favor of extra unedited content. Even 5 minutes of off the cuff webcam-quality footage of some random employee every week or two would be extremely cool to see. When you buy a DVD set and watch the special features that are unpolished in comparison, fans don't think "oh this looks worse this movie is crap now", they're thrilled to watch as much of it as they can. I don't think unpolished extras would reflect poorly on anybody or the polished episodes if that's a concern, it would just be something fans would love watching.

First of all I don't think the episodes will be diluted because we know about their content before they are finished...

We were only promised input and transparency on the production of the game, not the production of the documentary. I honestly don't think a documentary is the kind of thing you want a load of fan input on.

I definitely would appreciate some non-documentary video stuff though, as other people have said, even if it's just low-res footage filmed on a webcam. Or just more game updates in the forums. I think the format they've started with (programming update, art update etc.) makes it kind of difficult to give new info until there's a significant milestone. I think a lot of people here would be happy with just regular general update threads -- something we can be sure is going to be there every week or whatever -- in which somebody just says what's going on at the moment. Even if it's just "nothing much has happened, just working on bla some more, here's a photo of someone's computer screen" it would be greatly appreciated.

You mean something like

? Maybe a meeting, or just the team saying hello and a few words about the game and their work. That could be nice, I agree it doesn't have to be part of the documentary, it could simply be another form of communication.

We were only promised input and transparency on the production of the game, not the production of the documentary. I honestly don't think a documentary is the kind of thing you want a load of fan input on.

I definitely would appreciate some non-documentary video stuff though, as other people have said, even if it's just low-res footage filmed on a webcam. Or just more game updates in the forums. I think the format they've started with (programming update, art update etc.) makes it kind of difficult to give new info until there's a significant milestone. I think a lot of people here would be happy with just regular general update threads -- something we can be sure is going to be there every week or whatever -- in which somebody just says what's going on at the moment. Even if it's just "nothing much has happened, just working on bla some more, here's a photo of someone's computer screen" it would be greatly appreciated.

I do agree with the fact it would be nice to get some more output from the game in general, but I always assumed that 2PP's job was to show us "how the sausage is made", and to have the DF employee's do extra work by recording and editing videos on their own when there already is a camera crew on location is kind of strange. I'd rather have the DoubleFine focus on the game then documenting.

On the original Kickstarter video I remember Tim promise "Either the game will be great, or it will be a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see..." So based on that promise and us not seeing too much from the actual game being documented the game is definitely looking up to be great thus far. :)

Also, anything needs feedback, feedback doesn't mean you need to use it.

according to the production status thread the episode is done

it'll probably be up today or tomorrow

Give give give give give now pls give

Post production isn't written though. However I hope it will come out soon!

What could "Codename: REDS" mean anyway? Remo's Exciting Drive Stunts?

Remo's Extremely Dirty Socks.

Remo's Extremely Dirty Socks.

Bah, I should have known that not changing my socks today would come back to bite me in the ass.

First of all I don't think the episodes will be diluted because we know about their content before they are finished; We can choose if we want to have the final product without knowing what's going on or choose to see the rough cut and enjoy the final cut for the production quality later. The rough cut will obviously not be publicly available, but at least it's current for those who care about that..

It may be just me, but if I see something as a rough cut, and then you show me the same thing cleaned up, I have no interest for the same cleaned up thing.

Once I have the “story” of a situation down, just seeing it better makes it completely boring for me; I have the same problem when re-watching movies on Blu-Ray after having (somewhat) recently watched them in a lower quality format.

Hell I don’t have any interest in watching the Blu-Ray of this documentary as it stands since I have already watched the Episodes as they were made.

But again this might be just me, which is why I’d prefer the rough cuts to be stuff they omitted from the final episodes, including spoilerish stuff that they said will withhold from the main episodes, if the rough cuts are the same as the main episodes, minus the score and spit and polish, then I’d just not watch the finished Episodes at all.

Not saying it's unethical to use the equipment for something else, but if it causes delay in the actual production plan they might need to reconsider their priorities.

I agree on that, given that they took a trip to Sweden for the Minecraft project, that might be exactly why the third episode got delayed, if you add any additional editing it needed compared to the previous two, since it apparently has outside footage (maybe they needed to block out Starbucks signs or something, no free advertising for you!).

So it is possible that they got more than they could chew and that's why we got the delay.

Now what does that mean for us?

Nothing, is probably a one time thing, I'm pretty sure if 2PP is going to work on multiple projects at the same time, they're going to make sure that the one does not affect the other, and if they don't have the manpower for it, they will hire people accordingly. So I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch unless this scenario repeats it self.

Again as I said in my original post in this thread, I don't really care how much they delay the documentary as long as it doesn't affect project updates, and currently it seems like it does.

But as somebody else mentioned, we weren’t promised transparency in regards to the documentary, or any backer feedback. Would feedback be nice?

Yes absolutely, I’d like to be treated like a part of the team than someone they inform on a need to know basis, but as of right now anybody with $15 can gain access to this part of the forums and by consequence the documentary, 2PP will need to somehow turn a profit out from this, the money they got from Kickstarter is to fund this yearlong project, and they're not doing this purely for fun.

In other words, showing us more stuff than the final polished episodes here might make it harder from them to sell the finished product later, though either way I’d like better communication next time, there’s a thread for it after all.

I firmly believe that if you want something you should state it, instead of just keeping your hope to yourself. So be it that this is the Discussion and Feedback forum it would be a great place to do so. If the general point of this is to keep to oneself then just tell me and I'll shut it.

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy so I'll just stop here. They're doing a great job and the final product will be awesome, regardless of when I get hold of it. :)

Speak your mind, there's nothing wrong with multiple views on things. I'm not arguing with you, simply giving my own spin, either way our discussion is documented and 2PP or DF or whoever, will either heed or ignore any points we made, that’s the cool thing about feedback, you can do whatever you want with it!

Post production isn't written though. However I hope it will come out soon!

I'm hoping that it means that soon we'll have something to call the game, at least for a while, that isn't 'DFA'

Now we are talking!

Rabbit/Elmer/Duck Season

449_jpg_9393.jpeg

REDS clearly stands for Raul Eduardo Da Silva, the Spanish aristocrat trillionaire that just bought DF and is already displaying his ego everywhere!

Next up the double headed baby will be replaced with double headed Raul’s, oh the horror!

Getting a second pass on the audio mix and finalizing color. Episode should come tomorrow along with the next KS update.

Looking forward to it. On the bright side it seems like everybody has been really happy with all of the videos as they've been released. If the biggest problem thus far is hearing "we want updates!"/"we want more!" that probably means you're doing a great job!

Getting a second pass on the audio mix and finalizing color. Episode should come tomorrow along with the next KS update.

kick ass! I'm so looking forward to a bulking episode hopefully we see the other people who are working on the game.

Until reading this thread, I had no idea that as many backers where such whiny, impatient, petulant folk that don't appreciate quality productions.

Keep up to good work 2PP.

Until reading this thread, I had no idea that as many backers where such whiny, impatient, petulant folk that don't appreciate quality productions.

Those are some of our better qualities

Those are some of our better qualities

Indeed!

I believe it's called curiosity mixed with sarcasm.

Sign in to follow this