Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
machinshin

DRM Idea

I know my title probably ruffled more than a few feathers but hear me out. I was just recently looking at some of my old games and came across something that took me back to the good old days when I first played Monkey Island. It was the "Dial-a-Pirate" wheel that was used as a very early DRM.

I think it would be awesome if you guys gave those of us with the box set a "DRM option" similar to the ones used with these old games. I obviously am not asking for an actual DRM but something fun that brings back those good old days.

I remember that being discussed early on. I think it was generally agreed upon that after the novelty wore off (and it would probably wear off quickly) it'd get pretty annoying having to dig out a code wheel every time you launch the game.

Once you get past the nostalgia, code wheels are just an archaic relic of the past. It might be cool if a fake one came with the special edition box, but I think it'd be a waste of time to actually bother with the programming needed to get the code wheel to work with the game.

Yeah, That is why I was saying I would not really advise an actual DRM. Have it as an option that can easily be turned off and include the wheel in the box set. The programing for the code wheel to work really should not be that great an undertaking. I just think it would be something that would be neat to see again. I always thought those were amusing and can remember many different games at that time period each with their own style. Many games simply would ask for first word on a random page from manual or so on.

So yes, it is silly and just something for nostalgic reasons. There is no real need or point to it as no form of DRM really stops copying. I do think it would add a nice feel to the game for those of us clinging to the past.

Better yet, let's go ahead and get a DNA sample from each backer and keep the DNA results on file at DFA headquarters. Every time we start the game we should have to enter a new blood sample to be digitally compared with the sample on file.

Also, if we could please make the original DNA sampling as invasive as possible that'd be great! Joking of course.

This would be neat, but adding a physical wheel would constitute a significant increase in cost for every box set purchased. How many backers chose that option? Figure out the average cost and multiply it by that amount and you've instantly got a new drop in available funds that were not part of the original kickstarter plan that we all put money in. I do not agree with new changes (i.e. post kickstarter investment phase) that may take away money from the overall cache of cash to make the game but only results in a benefit for a few.

Well, it could be an alternative way to access some easter egg or something, though it could be more trouble than I'd worth.

As a way to access the actual game, even if it's optional, I'd say definitely not.

After all most people aren't getting a physical copy and that would only be a non-option that might end up confusing people.

I remember when I went to university in a different town and went to re-play Day of the Tentacle (the floppy disk version) and there was the super battery plan thing...except I'd left the game manual back home because, why would I need it? Very frustrating!

I want my money back if there is any kind of DRM. Even if its the funny kind like the ingame puzzle like DRM or the pink scorpion in serious sam.

Here is why:

Those who actually bought this product are getting punished for buying it in the first place by hindering the player from playing it, while all those other pirates get their crack rendering the DRM implementation useless. It is also noteworthy that most cracks come days before or with the games release.

I want my money back if there is any kind of DRM. Even if its the funny kind like the ingame puzzle like DRM or the pink scorpion in serious sam.

Here is why:

Those who actually bought this product are getting punished for buying it in the first place by hindering the player from playing it, while all those other pirates get their crack rendering the DRM implementation useless. It is also noteworthy that most cracks come days before or with the games release.

Cool story, bro. :)

Now go and read the thread again.

Here is why:

Cool story, bro. :)

Now go and read the thread again.

There is only the option of DRM and no DRM. There's no inbetween. Even if the DRM is meant as a joke, but still very functional in the sense of what DRM does, it is out of the question.

Every game should always be playable with only having the game installed and nothing else required. That means no requirement to have the CD inserted, own some kind of wheel to solve a code(MI,DOTT), take a look at the back of the box (mgs), enter some CD Key, be online while playing or once before or buy it only through that supplier.

In between - you get a code to solve but it accepts any answer you give (or lack of after a few seconds).

Well, maybe if you make it some kind of a joke but a standalone non-functional drm implementation in itself is just no fun.

I'm reminded of the Infocom game Buraucracy, which did start by telling you that you didn't have a registered copy of the game:

bureaucracy-1.png

bureaucracy-2.png

Of course, that was just an excuse to collect some personal information to use in the game (occasionally making snide remarks like "Your parents had the last laugh." when you entered your first name), e.g. the game would start on your street, some things would always be your least favorite colour, and when the game thanked you for completing the form it would deliberately get your gender wrong.

Other games would usually show your current score on the status line at the top of the screen. This one would show your blood pressure. And it's the only game I've ever seen where the space on the box that was usually reserved for quotes from satisfied users was instead used for quotes from dissatisfied users. :)

I hated that blood pressure thing. That's why I never got much into the game. Whenever you wrote something the parser didn't understand your blood pressure went up. I remember having a set of some four botched attempts in a row (including the classic "oops oops") that just got my blood pressure up enough in real life that I quit. That text parser thing was infuriating enough as is, having it reflected in the game was just too much for me.

Interesting idea, but I don't see why it would need to involve actual DRM at all, even fake-DRM. That is, it would be great for a "dial-a-pirate" wheel type thing to just be included as part of the boxed copy of the game, even without it actually doing anything in the game at all and just being a cool homage pack-in. At most, instead of being a form of DRM, fake-or not, perhaps they could include something like a "dial-DFA-character" wheel, with the various characters from the game making up the border of the wheel and each having a little code under them, and if you enter that code into the game, it'll unlock a very small little bonus scene/bit of dialogue with that character in the game. Or just put those extra little pieces of dialogue/information about the characters/tips about the game directly onto such a wheel packed with the game. Something like that might work, IMO.

I hated that blood pressure thing. That's why I never got much into the game. Whenever you wrote something the parser didn't understand your blood pressure went up. I remember having a set of some four botched attempts in a row (including the classic "oops oops") that just got my blood pressure up enough in real life that I quit. That text parser thing was infuriating enough as is, having it reflected in the game was just too much for me.

Yeah, the blood pressure thing was pretty annoying at times. I think there was only one place in the game where it made any actual difference, but it was a cute idea. I actually have mixed feelings about the two Infocom / Douglas Adams collaborations. They were probably some of their funniest games, but I don't think they were their best games, if that makes sense. Bureaucracy had some pretty funny situations - even the game's manual was quite funny - but there wasn't much of a story to it, and it just got weirder in the second half of the game.

Design it any way you want, DRM is always going to punish the legitimate user and be bypassed by pirates.

In average, DRM only prevents pirate copies for 0.20 days. Last year, that number was in the negative.

Source:Vigilant Defender

Sign in to follow this