Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Choco88

How Much Dialogue Gameplay?

I really love dialogue gameplay.

You know, where you can pick different hilarious/interesting/varied responses to a conversation another character is having with you.

This is probably my favorite bit of adventure games.

How much would you like to see dialogue options appear in the DFA game?

Sign me up for dialogue, of course! I would very much appreciate a fun new way of doing dialogue-based puzzles. You know, something small to spice things up every now and then. In Sam & Max season 3, for instance, you got to interrogate people in an almost L.A. Noire-style gameplay mechanic ("You're lying!"). It wasn't shockingly different or anything, but it was a fun change. :)

You know, where you can pick different hilarious/interesting/varied responses to a conversation another character is having with you.

Ehr, it's a Tim Schafer game. That's the guy who got his break writing dialog in a comedy video game (you may have heard of it). I have no doubt that this game will be bulging with dialog.

HEAR THAT, TIM? Bulging with dialog!

Tim Schafer being the creator and writer of DFA pretty much guarantees plenty of great branching dialogue.

Tim Schafer being the creator and writer of DFA pretty much guarantees plenty of great branching dialogue.

AWESOME

Dialogue is my fav things in adventure games, kinda why I don't like modern ones as much, cos of the lack of dialogue interaction

How did you feel about the conversations in the Mass Effect games?

They aren't always really witty or anything (it's not supposed to be either) but you can have some really, really interesting conversations with people in that game. Sometimes if I just really didn't feel like shooting and blowing stuff up at the current moment I'd spend hours just talking to people, and I still had a good time. Quality writing is what makes a good game great.

Those games are pretty much the reason why I am convinced dialogue trees are a necessity.

They aren't always really witty or anything (it's not supposed to be either) but you can have some really, really interesting conversations with people in that game. Sometimes if I just really didn't feel like shooting and blowing stuff up at the current moment I'd spend hours just talking to people, and I still had a good time. Quality writing is what makes a good game great.

Those games are pretty much the reason why I am convinced dialogue trees are a necessity.

In the case of Mass Effect, the good voice talent really helped, too. Especially when you consider characters who have really unique voices and/or linguistic quirks. Who doesn't love to impersonate Mordin's manic verbal tick?

The only issue I had with the dialogue options in Mass Effect was how the paragon/renegade system tied into it. There would often be plenty of things to choose from, but because of that morality system, I know I often felt heavily encouraged to just pick whichever option leaned the most towards whatever end of the spectrum I had picked since the game almost seems to become unhappy with the player if they go with a more neutral/mixed stance. I think it would have been better if there was no overarching good/bad meter and the player only had to be concerned with their relationship with individual characters.

I definitely want to see the dialogue with creative/ ridiculous options that can lead to different conclusions. Playing out all those options is my favorite part of any adventure game!

I have always wondered when we would get to the point where there is free-form response dialog, where you are not having to choose between 4 or 5 sentences, but create and enter your own response. Perhaps that's just too much work for the gamer... Talk about interactive.

I have always wondered when we would get to the point where there is free-form response dialog, where you are not having to choose between 4 or 5 sentences, but create and enter your own response. Perhaps that's just too much work for the gamer... Talk about interactive.

During most conversations about innovative features here, even without knowing it, people eventually end up describing Façade.

The thing I look forward to with Double Fine Adventure is the less serious tone which will be a delight to play and be bursting with old school 'make you chuckle' dialogue like the old school games. The artistic style prototype was a good example of what I expect and look forward to.

I have always wondered when we would get to the point where there is free-form response dialog, where you are not having to choose between 4 or 5 sentences, but create and enter your own response. Perhaps that's just too much work for the gamer...

why would I want to write something boring myself and have a limited AI try to interpret it and not be able to cater for it, when I can have brilliant dialogue and situations carefully crafted and written by tim schafer? its the limitations that make the game, not the freedom.

It's a Tim Schafer game. Ofcoarse it should have tons and tons of dialogue gameplay :D

"I'm not putting my lips on that"

"Chateux de cheapaux 1775"

"You're not too big, the cars are just too small"

"You know what might look better on your nose? The bar"

"Oooooooh rusty anchor!!!"

These lines have been roaming in the back of my head for years! :lol:

The most important point is that the dialogue options should be one-time choices and the options chosen should have consequences (even if not as much as in Mass Effect). This requires to concentrate during conversations and makes dialogues much more motivating.

Having to click on every single option until all have been spoken out, i.e. just to make sure not to miss out any important information, should be avoided. This pure information gathering leads to rather unnatural conversations and turns the whole process into a stupid task you want to get over with.

Sign in to follow this