Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aristotlol

Pre-Order Date & On-line Purchasing

This isn't a pressing concern, naturally, but I'm quite keen to pre-order The Cave on Steam, I was wondering if there's an (available) answer as to when we can pre-pay for it.

In a not really related question, I was wondering (and I'm sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere), but will The Cave be available on PSN/XBLN, or on disc, or both?

In a not really related question, I was wondering (and I'm sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere), but will The Cave be available on PSN/XBLN, or on disc, or both?

Ron confirmed at the end of his E3 interview with Gametrailers that it would be a digital title available on PSN/XBLN/PC.

He didn't say the word Steam, but it's highly unlikely that they would release it on PC and not Steam, so I'd assume yes.

Ron confirmed at the end of his E3 interview with Gametrailers that it would be a digital title available on PSN/XBLN/PC

Ah yes, thanks. Just waiting in hope for a Steam page now.

Look, I pre-ordered an adventure game before it was more than a thought in Tim's head. Just think about that when you keep me from paying for Cave for another few months. Yes, I will shove money Double Fine's way for anything the promise me that will be playable in the future....really think about that & insert my lack of life here.

Since this game is being published traditionally through Sega, my guess is that Sega will be making the final call on when the game can go up for preorder on Steam/PSN/XBLA. Personally, I'm not expecting to see preorders open until near the end of the year, at best. The only games I've seen go up for preorder exceptionally early are giant AAA releases.

Look, I pre-ordered an adventure game before it was more than a thought in Tim's head. Just think about that when you keep me from paying for Cave for another few months. Yes, I will shove money Double Fine's way for anything the promise me that will be playable in the future....really think about that & insert my lack of life here.

What is that, an insult? Or are you being self-deprecating? I just want to pay for this game while I still have an income. :P

The Cave is a bit different from DFA, in that DFA is developed and published entirely by Double Fine (although fan-funded, or course), whereas The Cave is developed by Double Fine and published by Sega. So a lot of the specifics of when preorders begin and things like that will be up to Sega to hash out. But we'll definitely make noise about those things when they occur!

I trust in SEGA. He's publishing policy have been pretty good on PC/STEAM lately.

Anything with Ron Gilbert's name attached to it is an instant purchase for me. I've learned over the years that the man simply can't do anything wrong.

Allow me to preorder The Cave, and my heart shall beat but once before I lay cash down into your digital hands.

I'm on a NTSC american console in australia. Will there be a region lock on the arcade version of this (xbox 360) ? I was able to redownload Iron Brigade and costume quest while here to be able to play them offline. Some of my arcade games are stuck in trial mode due to region issues. I just hope I'll be able to download The Cave when its released.

Purchasing offline is a good question, since I've decided to let my gold account lapse. Would there be a way to get this without a gold account for LIVE?

It's probably only going to be available for purchase once the game is available to play, right? I doubt a Ron Gilbert game (even though it is totally warranted, based off the man's legendary status and guild rank) will be getting a prepurchase and certainly not a preload.

Guess I'm just gonna have to guess that the game will cost $15 and I'll save that much for my Rainy Cave Fund. Yeah. $15 for The Cave, then $26 for the new Manilla Road CDs.

Thanks for the help, gang!

It's supposed to be out quite soon and still I find no place to pre-order... What's going on, DoubleFine? Do you plan some supreme rabbit-out-of-the-hat performance?!?

It's supposed to be out quite soon and still I find no place to pre-order... What's going on, DoubleFine? Do you plan some supreme rabbit-out-of-the-hat performance?!?

I think whether a game can be pre-ordered or not is up to the discretion of the publisher (in this case, that would be Sega).

At this point, I don't think The Cave will have pre-orders at all. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Sega never updates the vague "sometime this month" release date and it just suddenly pops up available for purchase one day.

Well, I've decided I'm not going to go to the bathroom until The Cave comes out. I'm going to have a "release" party all on my own.

I just hope it doesn't do any permanent damage.

Well, I've decided I'm not going to go to the bathroom until The Cave comes out. I'm going to have a "release" party all on my own.

I just hope it doesn't do any permanent damage.

I giggled. Then I noticed your "forum rank" is currently "straight flush," and it turned into an actual laugh!

Well done, sir. Well done indeed.

Preorder available from Greenmangaming for only 12,99€. I dont know the prize in $. With the voucher code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK you can get 20% off.

as Rincewind pointed out: it can be pre-ordered (steam-version) via greenmangaming.com.

The 20% off-voucher mentioned is working for me - I just ordered there.

After finishing my order, it said something like: "not available yet, it comes out on january, 31st" ...

... which could also be read as "sometime in january, but we don't know exactly yet ..."

I've pre-ordered steam-based games on gmg before and got a mail with the activation-code on release-day. The gmg-voucher is valid till jan. 11th, btw ...

On the other hand: it can't be long now until the official pre-order starts on steam, which might also include a small discount or some perks.

And after pre-ordering, you can see this info:

"The Cave

PC

Download

This game is not available for download yet.

It comes out on Jan. 31, 2013, midnight."

Ron said on his Twitter that they haven't announced an exact release date yet because they first want to be sure that they'll definitely be able to release it on that day.

Is there going to be a GOG release?

As SEGA is the publisher it probably depends on them if it's available there my guess is it won't be available there at release date but maybe sometime later down the line

Sign in to follow this