Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: “I’m Such a F@#$in’ Genius”

Greetings adventure backers!

We know you've ll been waiting patiently for the next Sidequest, and as a special thanks for your zen-like composure we're delivering a one-two combo video punch of goodness!

First up is the Sidequest: “I’m Such a F@#$in’ Genius”. Tim takes us through his stack of notebooks from previous projects like Grim Fandango, Brütal Legend, and Full Throttle. We heard that people wanted to see more of that content from episode 2, so here we go!

[vimeo]43631875[/vimeo]

Coming tomorrow is an extra-long installment featuring Tim playing "Day of the Tentacle"!

EPISODE NOTES

1:10 - A little background info on how the notebooks used in that scene from Seven were created.

5:03 - I don't know why this is a thing, but http://twitter.com/#!/timschaferscar

6:12 - If you examine the text more closely, you can see that Tim is actually excited about traveling to see someone named Dave (Grossman?)

6:42 -

7:33 - strangely,

never found its way into a scene between Manny Calavera and Don Copal [very NSFW-language inappropriate for young viewers].

8:05 - If you're interested in short stories, you can subscribe to Glimmer Train.

8:45 - An idea of what "Pilgrim Reaper" might have looked like [NSFW - cartoony gore].

"The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature"

I'm offended! =(

Well... If you could provide us the URL I would be very happy :P

"The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature"

I'm offended! =(

Well... If you could provide us the URL I would be very happy :P

Try watching it in a different browser.

Coming tomorrow is an extra-long installment featuring Tim playing "Day of the Tentacle"! Episode notes coming soon as well!

:o

Try watching it in a different browser.

:o

Oh, thanks! It worked fine with Google Chrome. With Opera, however, it shows this annoying message :(

Awesome video but man that is a lot of names.

Also who noticed that vita on Tim's desk hmmmmmmm.............maybe DFA on the vita

Casablanca, 1992? Is that the VHS release? : P

Oh and nice PaRappa the Rapper poster! First time I see it!

Seriously I love all of this. I feel spoiled getting all this stuff here !

So far my $$$ has been WELL spent getting to see all this stuff! And I haven't even received my rewards!

These are so amazing! Keep it up 2Player!

It's such a relief to see that a f@&%ing genius like Tim has 100s of bad ideas before he comes across a great one. It gives me hope that one day even I might have a good idea.

Great stuff! I love these sidequests :) Also, Tim sure touches his face a lot.

Super cool to get two sidequests in two days, guys. Great work, really looking forward to the episode, too.

I am on the ground laughing at this video. However I go look at my game ideas and they are just as random.

Coming tomorrow is an extra-long installment featuring Tim playing "Day of the Tentacle"! Episode notes coming soon as well!

This better not take too long. I've got an anatomy final tomorrow!

Anyone notice that they blurred out part of a page right before Tim started together into the names for the first time. wonder what he wrote about for GF that he'd still like to keep under wraps? Also I agree with the title of this video. Keep up the great work DF and 2 Player Productions!!

What had to be blurred out? ....generally speaking, of course. :)

Edit: Too slow! Dynamo beat me to it.

Anyone notice that they blurred out part of a page right before Tim started together into the names for the first time. wonder what he wrote about for GF that he'd still like to keep under wraps? Also I agree with the title of this video. Keep up the great work DF and 2 Player Productions!!

Assuming he was using freewriting to come up with ideas for GF, my guess is that it might be some personal information he'd rather not share.

Shh... don't talk about that blurred out part, it's there for a reason.

Seriously, it's probably simply something Tim didn't want to share, that's his right.

But if we go for the elaborate ones, I say it's either the secret to Monkey Island or the ultimate joke or just a ploy to make us talk about that part.

I have a question!

Why is there a half a page that's been intentionally blurred? Was it obscene? Was it an idea that Tim may be re-using in the new game? Something else?

I love his little Machinarium robot toy in the background! :D

heh I used to love in flames back in the day. man Id love to read those peter chan storyboards for FT...looks so awesome! but I guess you cant distribute those willy nilly since I assume old lucasface has the rights.

In Flames, "The Jester Race" is one of the greatest metal albums ever. I liked metal alot when I was younger, but now I've grown out of it. There are precious few metal albums that I can still enjoy - and that is one of them, because it is so frikkin epic and completely amazing. It is In Flames best album by far (don't bring that Colony noise to me son).

The other weird thing that jumped out at me is that he mentioned the literary journal Glimmer Train - when it came up he says "That's a literary magazine". Yes it is, and damn good one! I didn't know Tim read literary journals! How does he have the time? I don't even have the time! Perhaps he just knows someone who reads it?

These may seem like weird things to pick up on, but I love finding little things like this that I have in common with people I admire. It makes me feel like, if I ever met them, we would have stuff to talk about other than they're work or something.

Tim my favorite game of all times is Full Throttle and i would be so happy if you could write about the game especially the part you talked about in the video about you cutting 1/3 of the game, was that the Peyote section of was it something diffrent?

I would really make my day, thank you for everything :)

Cheers from Sweden!

Again, these documentaries alone would make the backing worthwhile, so thank you very much. It's nice to see Tim Schaeffer look back on his old work, even though it can't be easy to reopen those old free writing notebooks in front of people. You can actually see he's overcoming bits of shame or modesty at some times.

Come on, what's up with that censored fragment of the notebook in 7:05, you guys can't let us just like that! The people demand an answer, the people need to know!

You're all going on about a bit of a page missing, what about the whole page at 4:52 that's conveniently blanked out after a few words were visible for a snippet of a second?? Wow, how about we deal with the log before we worry about the splinter! ;)

Sign in to follow this