Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #3: Creating a Visual Style, Part 3

Everyone on 4chan wants an option for Hipster Lumberjacks.

Not an option.

Mandatory.

The art work looks fantastic guys, new to this forum stuff but Monkey Islands ands DOTT where my life when I was growing up so wanted to back and get involved! Love the humour already, keep up the good work, cant wait for the game!

I've only really got two comments/complaints:

1. The interactive highlighting is really breaking immersion for me. Maybe it could be used just for small-screen handheld devices.

2. Although the basic design is painterly, the animation still reeks of Flash. It's got that weightlessly smooth quality and no follow through, overlap, etc. I'm expecting this to be really improved in the next pre-viz though, since there's a real animator involved now. Double Fine gave us Brütal Legend, which has some of the best video game animation ever, so I'm hoping that we can have some really nice 2-D animation in the final product.

I recognised the music and found it in my iTunes-library. They used pieces from Philip Glass' "Heroes Symphony", in particular the parts "Abdulmajid" and "Neuköln".

Great, thank you, I wasn't sure if it was something used in a previous game because I feel like I've heard it before and I'm not a music buff at all. Adventure games often have fantastic music and I hope this one is no different.

In line with what other people are saying, even the basic pick up animation like for the axe felt better than the one for the mail. Not everything needs a custom pick up animation, but I think it should at least have the character making some sort of motion that suggests interaction with the object.

Ha that was really nice, good to see even in a dev video it still has good old double fine humor.

Looks awesome! the only thing to note (which I'm sure you've already thought about), is if you're on an IOS device then swiping from the top initiates the notification centre "pane", so it would be better to do it as a swipe from the bottom.

Holy crap! That's an early test? I mean, the game is going to better than that?! Why? That was freakin' amazing! Seriously, I want to play that game. I want to play it right now.

I am LOVING the dynamic camera and lighting, plus ambient animation like leaves, grass, and smoke. This is a great way to move the largely static images of classic adventure games into the future, without needing heavy 3-D engines. It keeps the scene lively and adds flexibility for cutscenes and the like that wasn't possible twenty years ago. Excellent!

As others have noted, the highlighting and chime is a BIT odd. I can certainly see it as useful on smartphones, though. It may also help to fight the pixel hunting issue, if you can 'ping' and briefly highlight objects around you. But for that to work without making puzzles too easy, there may need to be superfluous clickable objects in the scene -- like things that exist just to be looked at. Of course, double edged sword, since players may assume they're important and keep trying to work them into puzzle solutions.

Now I know what DFA stands for. :)Dialog trees For Abstainers or Dialog-Filled Apricots

edit:

I'm glad you got away from the cartoony and into more artsy style. The lumberjack fits into his forest surroundings much better. But I'm surprised that the short kitchen scene with the cartoony fireplace and wood-planks still looks very flat. I was half expecting for spongebob to jump out any second. :P I think you probably didn't have time to change that before you wanted to post this video, so don't be mad. I understand.

I loved the lighting in the control room, and the rumbling camera!

After reading your whole post, I had to go back again to look for that fog, and I didn't see any! It seems a bit unnecessary if you don't even notice it. But I have to say that the light rays really do add depth to the scene, as well as the flying dust and leaves.

The dynamic music was great, why didn't you write about that? Who created it? I want to know!

And I would've chosen "You're such a giving tree..."

The player pulls down the inventory, selects the item and either drags it onto or taps the target.

Sorry to pick holes into your idea, but if your going to do this for IOS, you might want to change the way you pull down the menu. If you pull your finger from the top of your screen to the bottom or even half way then it opens up a menu that has stuff like notifications and etc..

Hope this helps you in some way.

I'm glad to see the positive response to this video, and assume that it is entirely due to my nuanced, human portrayal of The Lumberjack.

I'm glad to see the positive response to this video, and assume that it is entirely due to my nuanced, human portrayal of The Lumberjack.

Just wait until the hipsterjack cosplay starts. You're gonna be taking a lot of pictures.

I'm a little sad the hipsterjack won't be in the final game, now that you've given him and his world such personality now. Maybe make a mini-game involving him for the website?

The gamma change makes it better, but because the house color is similar to the ground, it makes the contrast seem low. So is that specific for the scene or should we expect this as part of the style?

I think everyone was rather impressed to the Dialogue Tree. Then again, I'm pretty sure all the backers have a thing for dialogue trees. Not sure it's very natural but, oh well...

Axesolutely amazing!! How about an option to turn highlights on or off, depending on whether a player is happy to hunt for interaction or not?

Edit: Whoops... Alecs Prodan already suggested that!

highlights and huge blocky inventory and bottom text should work well on iOS, but I don't think that will work on the PC. Especially the text box with a pixel font.

The gamma change makes it better, but because the house color is similar to the ground, it makes the contrast seem low. So is that specific for the scene or should we expect this as part of the style?

Good point! Generally speaking, by the time any final asset makes it into the game, it's gone through a lot of rounds of revision and approval that address things like this, which often have gameplay implications as well (ie, if a player's eye isn't properly drawn to an object of interest, etc.). This pre-viz illustrates the general visual style and some of the graphical techniques we'll be shooting for, but I wouldn't read too much into details of specific color choices in terms of how the game will end up. We'll have plenty more art updates in the months to come.

For the bloom effect, have you only tried additive blending, or have you also tried something more interesting like screen blending? Supposedly it works well for applying bloom without washing out all the scene details. I'd be curious to see if that would be better, worse, or just different.

Looks good, but I think the problem with painted sprites means that instead of true animations made of multiple drawings, like in the older LucasArts games, it's more feasible that you'd end up with one static image that is manipulated to give the impression of animation (in this case, there's one drawing of the lumberjack and his arms, legs etc. are cut up and rotated at the joints). There is something to be said for that classic, frame by frame animation, but I guess that's the price you pay for lush painted artwork - which does look good.

This is looking great, as many before me have said.

One minor point of critique is that the dynamic lighting of the character outline seems a bit excessive to me at times. In some instances it works very well, but in others it makes the character look surrounded by a strange halo (see around 1:20 in the video). But from what you wrote in the post, you are still working on making this seem more natural, so I'm not worried too much :)

Looks great.

Gonna concur with a lot of other posters.

1. Object highlighting at the very least has to be optional. I understand you gotta help out the smartphone users, but this game was for PC first and foremost. The CMI move your mouse over an object and a word representing it at the bottom of the screen is fine (such as "Kenny", "cannon",etc.)

2. You GOTTA have pick up animations for everything. That's what sets point and clicks apart from other games like RPGs where it's just click to get click to get. Adventures are click to make something happen.

3. The zooming camera still feels weird, but I'm sure you guys'll make it work in the end!

Apart from that, great work!

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing! :D

Who came up with the axe-to-mouth line? >_<

Just sticking my nose in to approve - highly - of the use of the Commodore 64 pixel font for all the text.

Wiiuuvv!! Great details... Great animations [except character]... Great colors & lighting & dynamic camera & ... Beautiful art style! By the way, do you have any software you use, except after effects and photoshop?

Many thanks for this update =)

I laughed pretty hard at the axe-to-mouth line, which resulted in a co-worker coming up to my desk and inquiring as to the nature of my chortle. That was awkward but I think we understand each other now.

Also, Hipster Lumberjack is my new band name.

Anyway, thank you for sharing again! Not only is it just super interesting on its own, but I deal with this kind of stuff daily and it's really fun to see how other folks go through the process as well, finding out how much is the same and how much is different. Imagining the discussions you had to get where you ended up. Wondering if you get free soda or bottled water, because everyone seems to get free soda or bottled water and we don't and I'm kinda bitter about it.

I hope y'all are having as much fun working on it as we seem to be as voyeurs!

Erm... I mean I like to watch.

Ack. Sorry. You know what I mean.

Edit: Oh! Great voice work, by the way. If Ricey and Remo (sitcom, anyone?) don't get cameos in the final game, I will definitely write a sternly worded letter on their behalf.

Sign in to follow this