Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #3: Creating a Visual Style, Part 3

I know it's not the final game, but I think the tech demo in the video would be awesome as a bonus demo-thing alongside the game. The concept, art, and writing are all awesome, and it would be an absolute shame for the HL not to make an official appearance; the fact that DFA's development is being published in this manner has practically made him an icon at this point.

Wow. I know that this isn't going to be in the final game, but the atmosphere is stunning. I would legitimately want to live in that house.

Perhaps the Hipster LumberJack can be an easteregg or some sort of cameo in the final project.

Perhaps the Hipster LumberJack can be an easteregg or some sort of cameo in the final project.

I will be sad if we never see him again.

It has been discussed whether or not there should be some sort of highlight on all “potentially” interactable objects, to avoid pixel-hunting, but we haven’t made any decision on that yet.

For the love of god, no, please do NOT use this. This feel as it is something dumbing down the game to much. It also makes the game less natural, that you will be thinking more about it being a game, rather then just enjoying the game without thinking so much about it being a game.

If it were an menu option, then you could turn it on if you got super stuck, maybe that would work???

It has been discussed whether or not there should be some sort of highlight on all “potentially” interactable objects, to avoid pixel-hunting, but we haven’t made any decision on that yet.

For the love of god, no, please do NOT use this. This feel as it is something dumbing down the game to much. It also makes the game less natural, that you will be thinking more about it being a game, rather then just enjoying the game without thinking so much about it being a game.

If it were an menu option, then you could turn it on if you got super stuck, maybe that would work???

The easiest way to solve this would be to have a "highlight all" key on the keyboard / icon in the inventory (for tablets etc)... at least that's how most other adventures I played recently do it.

If you're stuck because you missed one small object the game's creators thought to be easily spottable, it's simply frustrating.

It makes sense to have some kind of player assistance I suppose, but my only request is that any\all of those features can be disabled in the menu so the temptation isn't constantly there. I want to push myself to play without any training wheels, to fully experience the sweet rewards of success. If you can highlight objects with one simple key press, it'll be hard not to go for it occasionally when there is even mild difficulty or frustration, and I do think it's a bit immersion-breaking.

The Painting style is just amazing.

Much better than the flash like look.

this is like bob ross work in the background

Great atmosphere and music :)

I think that this game will be another great contribution to the adventure gaming.

Hope to see soon other improvements.

Thank you again for this game!!!

^__^

I'm so amused and excited to be "part" of this, and thanks guys for sharing all of this good food for thought talking about each process, I feel like also learning a lot!

I love the seamless transition from foreground to background (or vice-versa). And it warms my heart to see these kind of dialogue options again. That lumberjack still freaks me out though.

Yes, I know I'm late... But I'm slowly keeping up ;-)

Man, this was hilarious! The video already made me laugh :lol: And atmosphere was great already too. I am so happy to be a backer of this awesome team. I love you all!

ROFL - "I normally don't do axe-to-mouth, but you were asking for it" priceless. *shed tear of joy*

Sign in to follow this