Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #3: Creating a Visual Style, Part 3

Axe to mouth made me laugh. Also, I am excited to see what from the Brainstorming topic makes it into both the development of the game and the actual shipped game.

Fun pills and sleds to DF Lee and everyone else that worked on this Pre-Viz.

Smiles

Every post makes me happier and happier to be a backer. You killed me with Axe to mouth. Thank you! :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I just wanted to mention that due to a gamma issue the video came out much darker when it was posted to Vimeo than it was authored at. I'm working to get that fixed now. That MIGHT mean the video goes down for a few minutes while we update it. I'll keep you posted.

thx

Lee

Looking really good. I almost wish you would put the despised hipsterjack somewhere in the game just to turn that statement into a lie (maybe in a picture frame in a house somewhere ? Or in on a poster saying "WANTED FOR TREE ABUSE" ?).

I really like the effects you described. Thanks for the update.

So this isn't the topic of this post but I really liked the way the house opened up for the rocket. Felt very Terry Gillamesque and I feel like that would make a pretty nice animation style for the decorum.

Not for the characters though. They should stick with having smooth animation cause they'll be moving around a lot, at least the main will. I find smooth animation goes a long way to reduce frustration with long character walks. Smooth walking lessens feeling of "oh, yet another five minutes of that guy clumsily dragging himself across the screen"

“It has been discussed whether or not there should be some sort of highlight on all “potentially” interactable objects, to avoid pixel-hunting, but we haven’t made any decision on that yet.”

For what it's worth, I enjoy when there is a button that will highlight all the interactable items on the screen. This way you can search first, but then have an easy option to find what's actionable without too much frustration.

Looks like things are coming along nicely! As someone very interested in high quality 2D game assets, I am always super stoked by updates from the Double Fine art bros/broettes.

The look you guys have developed so far reminds me of Vanillaware's games, though obviously without the Japanese visual aesthetic. While you're always going to have a bit of a "Flashy" look to things with the way the high res sprites have to be rigged, the style helps to de-emphasize that.

It will be awesome to see this applied to the final game concepts!

I smell a spinoff game with the hipster lumberjack as protagonist!

Id buy it

Oh, by the way, are the drawings in the control room (top left) actual drawings from the game design process?

Three things:

1) It looks great, I like the painting style. In some ways reading about this reminded me a lot about reading about the development of the art style of Braid. See here: http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/the-art-of-braid-index and especially here: http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/archives/40. You guys should definitely read that if you haven't already (especially the last paragraph of that second link).

2) Also: ewwww, that pixel font with that painting style. Promise me that nothing close to that will be in the game.

3) One thing I realized was the fact that it will be for mobile devices might subtract from the PC experience of it all, because some things will have to be simplified in order to fit on the small screens. Is this a viable concern?

This looks BRILLIANT! Love the expression of the lumberjack in the last image.

This is looking really fantastic. All the little details made with lights and shadows and other elements made the surroundings really pop alive. The original paintng was a bit bland in colors, but all the effects made it more vibrant in every way. These tests alone make my expectations even higher.

And I really do love that lumberjack with his psychotic stare. He needs to do at least a cameo in the final game :D

I’m loving it and we should be able to play with it at some point hehehe.

My only critique would be about the GUI itself, It felt like it was a console game moving the character with the arrows and cycling selections by pressing something like the "E" key and not a point and click game.

Other than that it's looking great and I also love the lumberjack character :).

Excellent art style and animation! This style is a keeper!

If the sense of humor in the final game is anything like this I'm happy. That whole thing with the dialogue tree was hilarious.

Great video and explanation of the whole process.

Thank you very much.

I like the visual style. I was a bit sceptical with this the first two posts. But seeing it in motion and with all these enhancements it comes together quite nicely.

The only thing I dont't like about it is the way the lumberjack moves the path up and down to/from the house and in the house up the stairs. It just seem as is he is floating. I feel like the leg movement does not match his moving speed at all. His movement while he in the front of the outdoor sequence moving to the left looks quite natural again.

I hope this will change with time as the game development progresses.

Thanks again and keep the updates comming.

Wow that was really good, the dialog tree made me laugh and thats a really good sign for the game coming up.

I was wondering what song was playing when he was at the mailbox. I really liked it.

The only thing I dont't like about it is the way the lumberjack moves the path up and down to/from the house and in the house up the stairs. It just seem as is he is floating. I feel like the leg movement does not match his moving speed at all. His movement while he in the front of the outdoor sequence moving to the left looks quite natural again.

I think that's just because they haven't done all the animations for him, because as the post explains the actual animator has only just joined the team (and of course because that's not what they wanted to focus on with this pre-vis.)

Looks fantastic.

You probably have thought of this already, but just in case you didn't... one crit from an animator. With the final character, be sure to have a "settle" animation to transition from walking to standing. Just 2-4 frames, a very very quick, slight ease into his standing still pose. There will still be a jump, I understand you can't predict what frame you end the walk on. But I think it will help a ton. LOVE YOU GUYSE!!!!

That was wonderful! The style is really starting to come together, and those interaction mechanics seem intuitive and nice. Also, I know it wasn't the point of the vid, but the "feel" is spot on, with a somewhat serious art and music style, and a funny script above it. This is what made Monkey Island a classic. Couple of things though:

1 - The flash upon clicking could be a bit subtler. It's nice but it screams "YOU ARE IN A GAME" which detracts a bit from the immersion

2 - Please no "highlight valid hotspots" button

The dialog close-up of the lumberjack kills me. New wallpaper.

Edit: Could you provide a screenshot without the dialog in front of him? That would make my desktop +1 prettier.

By and large, I'm just excited, and this is great stuff.

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head at "Dialogue Tree", though. (In a "so bad it's good" way.)

The Lumberocket stuck me as kindof "Samorost\Machinarium" in its patched-together, crooked style, and while I really like those games, I'm not sure that resonated with me. I'm sure questions of style in that regard will get hashed out in the Concept art phase.

My one critical comment deals with the example images for "Painting Style".

To me, in the "Original", more angular Flash-style image, there's a good contrast between foreground, middleground and background elements. (I can appreciate that in that image, the background layer doesn't really look like somewhere you'd be able to go.)

In the "New" image, everything looks the same in that the contrast and color has been lost between foreground and background, as if everything went through the washing machine together.

Three things:

- Love the video! Watched it multiple times now and honestly it could just go on. Loled at the axe-to-mouth line! :P Would make a good animated movie I think! Should consider it! :)

- Regarding pick-up animations: I always love them! For example at the beginning of Monkey Island 3 there's a pretty elaborate one where Guybrush picks up a long stick and lets it drop into his pants. I think it's just nice to look at and I don't get impatient with them. When you're triggering an action in an adventure game you expect something to happen. Sometimes it's just a line of dialog, sometimes it's an animation, sometimes a cutscene. I definitely didn't like it how you did it with the mail, how it just floated in front of the lumberjack. It felt abstracted from the world.

- The glow around hotspots and the sound that plays upon interaction might make sense on tablets, but I think this would seem more an unnecessary distraction on PC. A "reveal all the hotspots" button might be a good idea though, but I'm not sure it's really needed as long as none of the hotspots are hard to find on screen.

Got to say, I always feel a little disappointed when I pick something up in an adventure game and I don't get a pick-up animation.

Got to say, I always feel a little disappointed when I pick something up in an adventure game and I don't get a pick-up animation.
Same, I liked the straight/crouch/high pick-up animations in Monkey Island 2, even if they were only 3 frames.

I laughed so hard at the tree and him chopping it. :)

That video is really great (& hilarious)! I love the art style and all the elements you've added to it to make it more vibrant. I also like the more dynamic camera aspects. It makes the game more modern looking, whilst retaining the "adventure-feel".

edit: I just went back and watched it again and wondered what music you used

I recognised the music and found it in my iTunes-library. They used pieces from Philip Glass' "Heroes Symphony", in particular the parts "Abdulmajid" and "Neuköln".

Sign in to follow this