Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #3: Creating a Visual Style, Part 3

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing! :D

Who came up with the axe-to-mouth line? >_<

Without knowing the answer, I'd put 100:1 odds on it NOT being Lee.

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing! :D

Who came up with the axe-to-mouth line? >_<

Without knowing the answer, I'd put 100:1 odds on it NOT being Lee.

I'll take those odds....it was Lee

Love the feel and style is nice, still like to see other environment as well. For now it's really fun to watch and sure gave me a smile. I'd have to agree with others, the pick-up animations needs to stay with in character. That way I feel more drawn as the character else it needs to be clear that I'm not "the" character, but the puppeteer of "him/it". +1 Kudos to you all! Still love all the things you guys create and share with us mortals. ^_^

That movie clip is spectacular! I could just stare at that art and listen to the music with it all day... It really is amazing!

The lighting and the style of art is just perfect, and I love little effects that make the world come alive.

I'm kind of disappointed that the hipsterjack won't be in the final product. :(

And, as much as I love pixels (I grew up in the 80s and 90s), I'm wondering if the pixel-like font really fits the painted style...

Other than that, I already am in love with this!... Whatever it ends up being!

Great update! To echo some other people's thoughts, I'm loving everything except the object highlighting (and associated sound) which kind of yells "Hey you, you're playing a game right now!" which I think slightly diminishes immersion. Maybe it could be optional. I think a sound for highlighting a dialog option is also unnecessary (for PC at least, don't have much experience playing adventures on other platforms) and would like to be able to turn that off as well should there be one in the game. Other than that I'm loving the progress. The world\character lighting is great and will add a huge amount to the experience.

Fantastic stuff! I have seen many a finished product that didnt look half this good.

I agree that the object highlighting is a little obnoxious and it would be nice to see an option to turn it on and off.

The other thing that kind of jarred me a little bit were the sudden closeups on the characters face. I suppose its because I haven't seen it implemented in a game in quite some time (I think MI1 had something similar!). It would be nice if the camera could zoom in at the start of a conversation, but I can see how that might be a bit cost prohibitive in the performance department.

Looking Good. The Highlighting Seems To Take Too Much To Appear And Dissapear, But Maybe Its Just To Show It Off? It'd Still Serve Its Purpose Quite Nicely With About Half The Time It Lasts On The Video.

Things I liked:

-How much effort and charm went in to dialog, plot and sound when it wasn’t necessary for the test. It says so much about double fine.

-The moving camera really works for me (I’m a writer/director by trade) keep it up.

-The lighting all looked amazing too, I liked the dynamic edge and am looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

-The art style looks good. I still like the idea of mixing it up for each section though.

Things I didn’t like:

-The glow on objects is just a bad effect and looks awful. I know you can do better.

-The user interface didn’t work for me. I like being able to see it all the time anyway but at the bear minimum you need to leave it up for dialog. Every time the options came on screen it ruined the composition of the shot, which on a close up is painful.

-game element and background elements are indistinguishable. For example in the control room how many buttons and levers are there and how many actually do stuff. I am very pro an object detection mode. Not always on but there to be switched on when needed, just when a button is held. As I’ve said before I think just blurring or darkening all background elements would be better than flashing edges but if you had the time maybe something as extreme as detective mode in batman could work.

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

Okay, so there aren't any hipster lumberjacks, and that's a huge shame. I will now express my disappointment with a sadface emoticon. :(

But there is a chance we can have a literal dialogue tree, right?? :D

I love the pixel font used for dialogue, art looks GREAT! Production values look HIGH!

So awesome. I noticed that rim lighting effect in the video and I actually thought to myself "Are they generating that effect procedurally or are they just painting different versions of the Lumberjack?" So glad it's the former, but (and here's where I betray my ignorance) I didn't even know you could do something like that with 2D graphics! At least, not so that it would look so seamless. You guys are off to a great start. I love what I've seen of the aesthetic so far!

The first thing I find hilarious is that 'hipster lumberjack' has officially entered the lexicon of pre-production. The second thing I find hilarious is the dialogue tree. I think Mr. Rice forgot to mention that one of the jobs of the producer is impromptu voice actor. Trust Double Fine to be witty even in their pre-viz.

I think that it goes without saying that me and the painterly style are BFFs forever, never change a thing darling except when it makes me love you more. I could just ogle those forest backgrounds for ages. For this update, though, I absolutely love the light-ray effects and how they subtly shift - that's one of the parts I focused on as soon as I saw it. The little blowy bits were also really good ideas, and I'm glad you guys are working on a way to make the bushes seem like they're not random monster blobs whose favorite food is hipster lumberjacks. The light-edging works better in the later half of the video, in the house it cuts out as soon hipsterjack turns around, which is a bit off-putting.

2. The walk is a bit crude too, or maybe the general animation speed is a little bit fast, not sure.

I think part of the problem is the lumberjack speeds up in the middle of each section and slows down as he's leaving, plus the whole floating effect some other people mentioned. But there's a senior animatron on the case now, so I imagine things will only improve from here. Plus rough hipsterjack pre-viz, yada yada, we don't love him enough to give him full animation.

I personally would vote for the 'being able to toggle glowy object outline' option. Pleases both crowds. I also hope that there will be font changes, maybe a more futuristic font for the more futuristic scenes and a more painterly font for the painterly, etc.

Hey guys,

I think this came out really great and I'm excited to see where it could possibly go from here. If you ask me, all the right buttons are being pushed so far. It's hard for me to come up with a substantive suggestion that isn't better left to discussions specifically about UI, animation, character/environment design, etc.

As an aside, I'd like to also say that I am a fan of both HLJ and Dialogue Tree. Cameos at least?

Good show, keep it up!

All I got from that is he's a lumberjack, and that he's ok...

Sorry I'm sure this has been done a few times...but I'm in the mood for it.

How many artists will actually be painting backgrounds? It's a very unique style so might be a challenge to maintain consistency, but i guess it's nothing a a style guide and good art direction can't help.

One thing I sometimes struggle with is maintaining faith in the style. It's quite a rough painting style, not in a bad way. In my experience, when i have to produce a large number of paintings in a certain style, I tend to make them progressively more 'refined' because i become tired of any 'grubbiness'. Then i look back on early paintings and they kind of look wrong and amateurish, so i want them to become more and more ordered!

Personally i really like the colours :)

Absolutely wonderful, seems things are coming along very well. I like the highlighting of objects, but I think it would be a lot better for the game if it were optional.

oh thank god no lumber jacks in final game, i mean don't get me wrong this looks beautiful i have absolutely have no complaints about the art style so far and this isn't even the final design so that's even more amazing but please don't make the main character a lumberjack, idk why but that's such a turn off for me for some reason. But that whole dialogue sequence with the tree was quite hilarious i have to admit.

oh. my. god. this is brilliant. its hilarious already - I loved the puzzle of giving the dialog tree a mouth! thats great! and the lighting effects are beautiful! amazing work guys! so the UI will be quite simple, eh?

Wow this was awesome. The new backgrounds look gorgeous, the environments and the mood is perfectly set with this.

If the final game is going to be anything like this (and it will be even better i suppose), we're in for a great ride.

Also now that you have animated the lumberjack more smoothly and given him a voice (even if it's just a temporary one), I found myself liking him a lot more. (I liked the closeup a lot more than his original face.)

The only thing by now that I don't like about him is the grin, so now I'm almost sad that he won't be in the final game.

For that it was only a tech demo, the writing and the axe-to-mouth "puzzle" was pretty cool. I wish something like that comes to the final game.

One remark: I always liked how the subtitles in the old Lucas adventure games were on the heads of the characters and different colors and the way it is in the pre-viz looks a bit bland so *hint*hint*

I don't think I'm the only person disappointed the lumberjack won't be in the final game. You should really fix that.

Agreed! I can even settle with a cameo appearance :)

For me, it still looks too "indie". This papercut/painting style, everything seems to be geared torwards mobile devices (huge icons, low details, big objects etc), it just doesnt feel like an oldschool point&click; adventure game. Also, im afraid that you might be trying to save a lot of effort in the animation department by just moving/rotating static parts and trying to sell this as "visual style". And as stated before, i cannot see how a humorous game would fit into this melancholic atmosphere. After all, indie games have advanced to quite a high quality level with much less budget, so you really have to beat that and create a product with a high production value, otherwise people will be disappointed (at least i will be).

For me, it still looks too "indie".

Didn't read the rest. Can people stop using this as shorthand for 'stuff I don't like'? It's pretty insulting to people who actually pour their hearts into making indie games.

For me, it still looks too "indie". This papercut/painting style, everything seems to be geared torwards mobile devices (huge icons, low details, big objects etc), it just doesnt feel like an oldschool point&click; adventure game. Also, im afraid that you might be trying to save a lot of effort in the animation department by just moving/rotating static parts and trying to sell this as "visual style". And as stated before, i cannot see how a humorous game would fit into this melancholic atmosphere. After all, indie games have advanced to quite a high quality level with much less budget, so you really have to beat that and create a product with a high production value, otherwise people will be disappointed (at least i will be).

Care to provide examples of what indie games you are referring to?

As for humor, I too originally expected the game to be humorous because the pitch video and updates were funny, but they haven't really said this is their direction since. In fact, apart from jokes that may appear from time to time (like the ones with the dialog tree), the topic of 'coming of age' doesn't sound like a setup for DOTT/MI style game. So maybe the expectation here is not right. On the other hand, they did ask for ideas for worlds, so I'm actually thinking this is only a portion of the style that would make it to the final game.

Sign in to follow this