Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: “It's All Coming Back To Me”

Can we get Tim playing the rest of this at some point? In parts of course. It's basically a developer commentary for the game, which for Day of the Tentacle, is incredibly awesome...

im getting an error when trying to play the video

Try watching it in a different browser.

2) The Full Throttle/Curse verb coin is a nice way of interacting with objects BUT can be difficult to bring up at times.

You're definitely doing it right? Double tap and hold the second tap? I've never failed to bring up the verb coin playing CMI on my phone.

Really enjoyed that and certainly would love to see some more of them on Monkey Island 1,2 (maybe with Ron Gilbert there as well) and Grim Fandango. Its so great to get a director commentary and gain insight on these games.

Why isn't this communicated in these (01, 02) threads? I literally found out just now :( and I guess a lot more haven't .... Though it has been edited in the this thread by 2PP, you don't get an update if this is just edited in :( ...

Did you notice around 16:30 when Tim is asked about switching between characters in the new game, he said "in the FIRST game". Does this mean that DFA is developed with sequels in mind already? :)

I have to say, I really enjoyed watching Tim play through Day of the Tentacle. It brings a whole new layer to the game experience, and lots of inside stories about it's development.

I hope we get to see a continuation at some point, I'd love to see more of this, or even another game.

Did you notice around 16:30 when Tim is asked about switching between characters in the new game, he said "in the FIRST game". Does this mean that DFA is developed with sequels in mind already? :)

He ment in the First game of "Day of the tentacle". He meant "Maniac Mansion" where you can choose charachters and switch between them.

He ment in the First game of "Day of the tentacle". He meant "Maniac Mansion" where you can choose charachters and switch between them.

Not sure that's right. See the previous page where we already discussed this, but it wouldn't make sense in the context for him to have been talking about MM (for example, he said 'in the first game there are just two playable characters', which isn't true of MM). It looks like either he made a slip of a tongue, editing made it seem like he made a slip of the tongue, or who knows, maybe he is considering multiple games? But there's really not enough info to properly tell right now.

We definitely need a commentary track for dfa!

What, you mean a commentary that would feature the designers of the game going into detail about the making of the game and telling us all the cool little secrets about its developm-

Oh, wait. This whole YEAR is the best commentary track ever.

That was great fun, informative and entertaining! I look forward to the next episode and seriously need to play DotT now.

Not sure that's right. See the previous page where we already discussed this, but it wouldn't make sense in the context for him to have been talking about MM (for example, he said 'in the first game there are just two playable characters', which isn't true of MM). It looks like either he made a slip of a tongue, editing made it seem like he made a slip of the tongue, or who knows, maybe he is considering multiple games? But there's really not enough info to properly tell right now.

Whoops, totally missed that discussion (will "thread" more carefully from now on).

I also think he didn't talk about Maniac Mansion, since he's giving an answer to a direct question about the new game, and even mentions he wants both stories to be symmetrical. ANYWAY, if we can live with one Psychonauts...

I actually had the pleasure of playing DOTT for the first time just a week and a half ago, encouraged by the many lists-of-best-adventure-games posts... (Yes, I know it's crazy, but somehow all those years ago I played the Larry games and Full Throttle but missed out on DOTT and Grim Fandango. So it was cool to see Tim talking about the game.

Loved this.

Just a thought about how it would work on a tablet/iPad after seeing someone elses suggestion.

Switching between a "Look" mode and "Normal" mode might work. How about when in "look/discover" mode you can move your finger around and the device vibrates when you are near something you can interact with?

On the verb thing, I never played the old SCUMM games back in the day, I started with The Dig, Full Throttle etc and I quite like the method of those where you can cycle with the right mouse. I do like the idea of a coin coming up, like the graphics someone posted earlier, just i worry this might be a bit distracting and take you out of the game slightly unless its fluent.

David

What, you mean a commentary that would feature the designers of the game going into detail about the making of the game and telling us all the cool little secrets about its developm-

They could, of course, implement all the 2PP documentary material ito the game. So when playing the game in "docu mode", every now and then there's an icon to click which launches an appropriate bit of 2PP's filmed material. Or: This might be completely superfluous ;)

They could, of course, implement all the 2PP documentary material ito the game. So when playing the game in "docu mode", every now and then there's an icon to click which launches an appropriate bit of 2PP's filmed material. Or: This might be completely superfluous ;)

I think that'd actually be really fun, and it would expose a lot of backers to material they might not have been aware of if they haven't really been following the forums.

Just putting it out there; I like short but wonderful games like Journey, long epics like Zelda and classic adventure games, and medium length games like Uncharted. It's not about the length nearly as much as it is about the quality and how well the game is designed around that length.

hey guys from 2playerproductions,

i have to say that i enjoyed the video series so far, but i'd rather have a focus on the actual episodes (waiting for episode 3) instead of the sidequests...

thanks

Watching this video really made me want to go and play DOTT myself, but I soon came to the horrifying realization that I do not own DOTT.

I think it's absolutely crazy that the old LucasArts classics are not available on GOG or a similar service.

I mean, what are they waiting for? It's like Disney's old "get 'em before we stick 'em back in the Disney vaults!" trick but without ever taking them back out.

Watching this video really made me want to go and play DOTT myself, but I soon came to the horrifying realization that I do not own DOTT.

I think it's absolutely crazy that the old LucasArts classics are not available on GOG or a similar service.

I mean, what are they waiting for? It's like Disney's old "get 'em before we stick 'em back in the Disney vaults!" trick but without ever taking them back out.

DOTT isn't too hard to find on Amazon, Ebay, and such, though I really wish LucasArts would re-release it through digital distribution services.

If 2013 goes by without any sort of 20th Anniversary re-release for DOTT, I'm going to assume that they just don't care anymore.

Sign in to follow this