Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: “It's All Coming Back To Me”

You haven't come to that conclusion already? Wow, you are a hopeful one. ;)

I can't say I'm holding my breath for it. It's obvious that since the last change in leadership at LucasArts that they've gone back to not caring about anything unless it involves Star Wars. I was a bit hopeful that after what happened with Monkey Island a while back that maybe they could redeem themselves, but then they got a new president and the new guy in charge seems to have no intention of giving their old adventure game IPs any attention.

Perhaps more specifically what I meant was that if DOTT doesn't get a 20th anniversary re-release, there'll be no reason to think that LucasArts will throw a bone to their neglected adventure game fans any time soon unless they have yet another change in leadership and the new president just so happens to have a weak spot for their old adventure games.

i love watching people play video games. in fact, i like it as much (more, for some games) as playing them myself. watching Tim play DotT and reminiscing is truly awesome. thanks!

awesome. I can't believe how much of the game I don't remember either.. I honestly can only recollect the main hallway and the cherry tree scene. I should go replay it.

At one point Tim notes that the cursor builds up the sentence at the bottom of the screen as you move the mouse over things and asks "how are we gonna do that on iPad?"

Easy.

Just try playing the android (or probably ios but i've not tried it) version of ScummVM - they do it really well. Have the cursor visible on screen at all times (when the user can interact) and have it mirror the movements of the user's thumb (or finger) but not it's position ie the cursor can be in the top left and you can move your finger from the bottom left to bottom right to make it move from top left to top right. You can see what the cursor is over at all times; I played through The Dig like this recently and it worked really nicely making it clear what could and couldn't be interacted with.

Did you notice around 16:30 when Tim is asked about switching between characters in the new game, he said "in the FIRST game". Does this mean that DFA is developed with sequels in mind already? :)

Well, DF has sort of proven to be a company that develops franchises.

You sort of have to make the first game with a sequel in mind.

Did you notice around 16:30 when Tim is asked about switching between characters in the new game, he said "in the FIRST game". Does this mean that DFA is developed with sequels in mind already? :)

You sort of have to make the first game with a sequel in mind.

What do you mean develops franchises? Any game is either a new franchise or part of an existing one so I assume all games companies develop franchises? As to sequels, Double Fine may have had them in mind but they haven't developed a singe one, right?

Any game is either a new franchise or part of an existing one so I assume all games companies develop franchises

Say what? If they're not licensing the name or characters to others, then it's no franchise. I don't know if DF has done any franchising, but Lucas certainly does it...

Fair point - I was thinking of franchise in the more general sense of an ip - but that's really not what it means. Still I agree; I don't really know what Bryy meant when he said

Because, as you say, they haven't.

Yeah, I'm also curious what he meant. Once Upon a Monster can ostensibly be called a franchise product, although since Sesame Workshop (previously CTW) is a non-profit organization, the actual deal might differ from a normal franchising deal. Or not. :-)

Could you please PLEASE go easier on the focus? It's so overused it's distracting. Seems like every time the video cuts to Tim, it's first focused on the background then over-adjusts then finally focuses on Tim.

Love the video otherwise.

Could you please PLEASE go easier on the focus? It's so overused it's distracting. Seems like every time the video cuts to Tim, it's first focused on the background then over-adjusts then finally focuses on Tim.

Love the video otherwise.

Albeit, some scripted shows use focus adjustment thing to make the final product more handheld and "unprofessionally" filmed,

I doubt that 2pp does it intentional all the time; they're filming Tim, being Tim, and we don't know anything about the shallowness of their DOF. Also being filmed on location without lighting etc. makes it a lot harder to get the DOF needed for crisp film as well as the convenience of following the crew around with fill lights really isn't there.

Asking 2pp to stop focusing the camera would be like asking them to cut more from the clips. Also the sidequests are the bonus vids and shouldn't be considered as part of the final doc in terms of editorial quality. -More like a bonus feature

Remember that they have multiple cameras and it's not like Tim is jumping all over the place. He's sitting in a chair. I'm sure it's a style choice and it's just overdone, in my opinion. And where did you get that they don't have lighting?

Remember that they have multiple cameras and it's not like Tim is jumping all over the place. He's sitting in a chair. I'm sure it's a style choice and it's just overdone, in my opinion. And where did you get that they don't have lighting?

I'm not saying they don't have lighting, but not as good lighting as a fixed one...

If you see the portrait vids they can have better lighting than on situations like this.

They don't do that as much in the actual doc, and it's an effect really easily added in post, so if they really wanted it they could basically just do it.

Sure some places they have notebooks that are blurred, but maybe it was intended to actually hide the content of the books?

You can see how shallow their DOF is in some of the shots and when it is that shallow it sometime is enough for the subject to move a couple of inches for the camera crew to have to re-adjust the focus.

Trust me I'm not a fan of the out of focus stuff either, but there is very little of it on the actual doc so my point is that you should be happy with the sidequests you are getting. :)

Our cameras don't have auto focus and the focal plane is really small.

Our cameras don't have auto focus and the focal plane is really small.

:) You're doing a great job!

I love being somewhat right though :P

This was so interesting to watch. A developer playing his own game. Pointing out all the mistakes and stories behind each aspect of the game. Love it.

These side quests are really interesting! Great extras to the episodes and good to get 'em used, not leaving all this gold on the cutting room floor!

Great stuff! I agree that it is interesting to watch the guy that helped make the game replay it, and give all his groovy anecdotes.

What we need next is a Sidequest with Ron!!!

Very interesting Sidequest! It's great to see the designer's impressions, 20 years later, as well as hear some of the behind-the-scenes story. I look forward to part II!

If Tim and Ron have some time in their busy schedule to do so, it would be great to see some more re-plays of their old games.

I would love to see another video where Ron and Tim are talking about adventures and game design and a loooooong sidequest video about Ron Gilbert.

The interface used on Full Throttle was perfect in every way. Enough choice to leave room for puzzles, but not enough to grow tiresome. I couldn't think of a better system; adding more would obviously be too convoluted and having too few verbs would be a great shame.

Day of the Tentacle remains my favorite game of all time, in any genre. I bought it long before I had a computer that could run it, because I had played through it so many times at a friend's house. Watching Tim play the game was a magical moment for me.

Tim, for what it's worth, I loved branching dialogue trees. The lines were so funny, and after playing so many Sierra adventures, it was refreshing that nothing I said, no matter how insensitive, ever got me killed or broke the game.

Bioware was mentioned in the video. The Bioware approach to the dialogue trees would be awesome with the comedic style of a Double-Fine/Schafer game, because you would pick your intent for the dialogue, and then have the funny surprise of hearing how the character interpreted your intent. I would replay it endlessly trying to find every funny line.

Dialogue trees in adventure games with graphics such as Day of the tentacle cater more to what's occurring on the screen when the dialogue is happening which can be comical but it's always short lived. Dialogue trees in games like Baldurs Gate or Planescape: Torment were more interesting because you couldn't really see down to the detail of the characters that were playing so the imagination was always in your head. Dialogue trees had much more depth and could go in all directions because it wasn't weighted down as much as to what was happening on the screen.

I know this is old (and maybe its been mentioned before on the forums, it didnt show up when I searched) but if youre hungry for more listening to tim talking about DOTT, he and dave grossman was on the 1up.com retronauts podcast back in november! just thought Id mention that for those who missed it.

It's always cool finding out what famous people are gamers - makes sense about Spielberg because he's been involved in game development periodically (Boom blox in particular) culminating in him now directing a Halo TV series.

Sign in to follow this