Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlueYoshi

::UPDATED:: List of graphics & audio bugs (Mac)

cool thanks. that'll do :o)

also, thanks for being so responsive on the boards here.

No prob! Doing the best we can :)

Anybody have any idea what's taking the Humble Bundle folks so long to update the HiB version of Psychonauts? Are they waiting for a more comprehensive update or something? Oy vey, the wait is killing me!

I can't say for sure, but I contacted the support ninjas at HIB late in June and haven't heard from them yet.

I wound up breaking down and grabbing Steam. ^^

The good news is that all my saved games and keybindings and such. If you're jonesing for a fix, I recommend it.

FYI that we are close to another update. We thought we had one ready but QA found a critical regression so we're going to fix that, test again, and post it. Hopefully Monday if not EOD tomorrow.

I am so excited for this update. I stopped playing a while back because it just became too frustrating with all the bugs. I really hope this update has me running back into the arms of Raz. I miss him dearly.

I use a MacBook Pro and have a Steam account. I am very interested in buying and playing this game. Should I buy it now and play up to a point where I would need an update or should I wait until it seems like the game is in perfect condition to play from start to finish? Thanks!

@Nickey. The bugs I encounter don't prevent gameplay from progressing. I am able to finish the game if I want. The bugs are more of a (major) nuisance. My recommendation, buy it now if you'd like, but I would hold off on playing it until a patch is released. If this will be your first time playing Psychonauts, definitely wait until it has been patched. With the amount of audio bugs that occur, you will miss out on the entire story.

There is a patch mentioned above with a rumored release coming next week. When the game is updated, I will play it again and see if things have improved. I'll make a little note if I think you could start playing it. The graphics bugs are tolerable. But the audio bugs are what kept me from playing the game. For the missing dialog I just enabled subtitles. But the sound effects that would get stuck in a endless loop, I had to mute the game in order to play.

If you aren't in a rush, wait just a little longer and hopefully you'll be able to play it with no issues.

There's a new build going up now. This fixes a number of sound and visual issues. There are a few new known minor regressions. The most major known bug is that audio quality will get worse the longer you play. However if you save, quit, and restart the game the audio quality will be back.

We'll keep working on these remaining issues. Thanks for your patience!

Even after the update I still have the clipping audio issue and flames have no textures. I can play the game about 5-10 minutes and then the audio starts clipping and I can't make any sense of the dialogue or what the characters are saying in the game (Only the first syllable is audible). Couple of times I think using some of the powers like 'shield' and 'levitation' has triggered the audio clipping. Also, after the interrogation clip on the milk man conspiracy the audio has started clipping.

I really hope the audio bugs would get resolved soon, so I can finish my first playthrough.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz i7 - 8Gb DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024Mb - OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Also I'm using a USB Audio Interface (Apogee Duet 2) as my audio output device.

I'm playing the game through Steam, and I'm having a bunch of issues. The audio getting stuck and looping after pretty much every cutscene and often just(seemingly) randomly mid-game is making the game unplayable. The health bar thingy with brains doesn't update to accurately reflect current health. The dowsing rod doesn't work.

I'm not questioning the quality of the game. I've enjoyed the parts I've been able to do, but this port was released back in September, and almost a year later, it is STILL unplayable. A game in this state shouldn't be released. It is unfortunate, but if this is the quality of port that is considered acceptable, I'm going to have to miss out on playing some good games.

Let's just be thankful that seven years after this game was released there is a) a Mac port, and b) still support for it.

That said, I'm having issues with crashing in Black Velvetopia and Gloria's Theatre. The sound issues are still there, but everywhere else is playable at least.

Just to add, I'm also having the same problems as others are playing psychonauts on the mac. It seems like I can only play for about ten minutes before everything starts glitching. Kind of disappointed that I received this game back a couple months ago and all these problems are still occurring. But I still love you guys and am thankful for the opportunity to play this classic on my mac.

I guess not. :-(

I was really enjoying the game before the "native" port. No chance of just going back to that version I suppose ?

I was really enjoying the game before the "native" port. No chance of just going back to that version I suppose ?

Nope, sorry. But we do have another update in the pipe! Hopefully out in a week or two max.

Hello again. It's been a while, but I started playing Psychonauts again. If you only play for about 15 minutes, the audio is pretty much flawless. The graphics are still really buggy. I beat the game and everything played out just fine, aside from all the graphics bugs.

I beat the game with a rank of 100 & I have 8 PSI cards. 1 more is needed to get the 101 rank achievement. Was pretty ticked off with that. That part of the game upsets me. Not being able to go back into the campground, or other areas. Especially when there is no warning before hand. It just saves your game and says point of no return, with no pop up asking if you wish to continue or wait.

Any news regarding a graphics bugs patch to be released soon? I'd like to play the game again, but without the hassle of shutting it down every 15 minutes & not being able to see 30% of the details.

Thanks.

Hi! After Yoshi's post, I fired up Steam and dove in to my save just before fighting Coach Oleander's brain in a tank. The sound was great through all the cute scenes, and for the first phase of the battle, all sound effects and music was great! Err, unfortunately, after the first wall re-build, the background music started skipping. It would play about 5 seconds, stop, then start over. And then the game crashed. ^^

I'm not sure if there was an update, but seems like there's still some work to do.

Thanks for listening. <3

We have an update being worked on, though I don't have an ETA for it at the moment. I'll let you guys know whenever we're going to post it if you don't see it go up on steam first.

When I bought this on App Store one year ago there were absolutely no trouble during playthrough. Meanwhile, I've switched to Steam and bought it there recently (I missed the Humble Bundle). And it's unplayable! I'm on my way to Sasha Nein's Secret Lab but finally had to give up. The sound intermittently halts and about 30 seconds later my MacBook Pro (Late 2009 - Snow Leopard) freezes. The "vibes" from the Dowsing Rod look like they radiate from Raz's butt and its sound pitch does not change. How is it possible that the game became so buggy?

When I bought this on App Store one year ago there were absolutely no trouble during playthrough. Meanwhile, I've switched to Steam and bought it there recently (I missed the Humble Bundle). And it's unplayable! I'm on my way to Sasha Nein's Secret Lab but finally had to give up. The sound intermittently halts and about 30 seconds later my MacBook Pro (Late 2009 - Snow Leopard) freezes. The "vibes" from the Dowsing Rod look like they radiate from Raz's butt and its sound pitch does not change. How is it possible that the game became so buggy?

The port used to be an emulated copy wrapped in a Mac app; the newer one is an attempt at a native Mac build. I think they said it's supposed to be able to run better and faster, at least in theory, and probably have better support like things for display resizing and such, but as it currently stands, it's certainly not worth it yet.

Would it be possible for those of us who've purchased this native build version to obtain the older version, at least for use until this one works right? I know you guys are working on fixing it, but it really does feel like a ripoff so far.

The port used to be an emulated copy wrapped in a Mac app; the newer one is an attempt at a native Mac build. I think they said it's supposed to be able to run better and faster, at least in theory, and probably have better support like things for display resizing and such, but as it currently stands, it's certainly not worth it yet.

Would it be possible for those of us who've purchased this native build version to obtain the older version, at least for use until this one works right? I know you guys are working on fixing it, but it really does feel like a ripoff so far.

Thanks for clearing it up for me Chucky. I thought I had read something like this earlier in this thread, but it didn't make sense to me. Ok, so we just have to have patience, I guess.

Thanks for clearing it up for me Chucky. I thought I had read something like this earlier in this thread, but it didn't make sense to me. Ok, so we just have to have patience, I guess.

if you have patience for techy stuff you could probably figure out how to emulate the windows version yourself. i imagine it was made with something like wine (http://www.winehq.org/).

if you have patience for techy stuff you could probably figure out how to emulate the windows version yourself. i imagine it was made with something like wine (http://www.winehq.org/).

Unfortunately I don't. Well, I didn't. I actually managed to play through the buggy version. Also, my life's worth is measured in Steam achievements, you see.

However, if I hadn't completed it earlier it would have been impossible to enjoy. The sound and music messed up every 10-20 minutes (the worst instances of this seemed to occur on the Milkman Conspiracy level) requiring a restart. If the game is played in full screen it will actually crash the computer when this happens.

An alternative to Wine could be to just install it from the App Store again, I guess. Unless they also changed the previous version for this funky native one.

Still not fixed, huh ?

This sucks, I think I bought this back in May and the bugged version came out a few weeks after that. It's has been so long. :-(

How could all these bugs get past initial testing ?

Nope, sorry. But we do have another update in the pipe! Hopefully out in a week or two max.

Or three months? The state of the game this long after release is inexcusable.

Or three months? The state of the game this long after release is inexcusable.

Check that, 5 months, Do you guys have an update coming soon or are you just pulling our chains, because this game has been unplayable for half a year, and you are practically leaving us in the dark when it comes to information or support. Can we get a feasible answer or at least a genuine reply, because this whole forum dates 5 months back and its impossible to think, in that amount of time, there has been no progress on these updates.

Sorry for not answering, I forget that the steam forums and here aren't synced with my answers.

When we realized we needed to update the mac port, we hired a contractor to do so since we didn't have anyone really with the experience internally to do it. Unfortunately in the past few months he hasn't been answering emails. I'll talk with the guys here tomorrow in case there's been an update with him and so we can figure out how to get it fixed.

Sign in to follow this