Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

Clang!

Even if you don't contribute, it's worth checking this out to see the pitch video:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

The short of it is that Neal Stephenson (the author) wants to put together a game focusing on realistic, period accurate sword fighting. They're going to start with a one-on-one fighting game, but the idea is to design the fighting system so that other developers can plug it into their own games as well.

This is as interesting as it is weird.

I wonder if they are taking it too far: making a sword fighting simulation so realistic that will require to put in a certain amount of actual appropriate physical effort, in a game that will have absolutely nothing else to offer, makes me think that it would be far more more constructive for anyone interested, to invest in learning sword fighting in the real world instead. I suppose it would not be available to all and much more expensive, but so are most hobbies and this way there would be no compromises.

I don't think it's possible to have a realistic motion-based sword-fighting engine, if only because controllers cannot simulate weight nor resistance without being incredibly expensive.

I don't think it's possible to have a realistic motion-based sword-fighting engine, if only because controllers cannot simulate weight nor resistance without being incredibly expensive.

It sounds like they have thought about that, agree with it, and have tried to come up with ways to resolve the problem as best as technology will allow.

They said two things about the problem of sword-on-sword resistance:

1) There will be several kinds of feedback, including auditory, visual, and heptic (i.e., skin/hands), but they also have a system in place---though they haven't explained the details yet---the gives you information about how "in sync" you are with the game so that you can adjust as necessary.

2) If you're using good sword fighting techniques, which is the point of the game, then you shouldn't need that kind of feedback very often anyway. A good swordfighter knows that you never want to swing a sword like an axe, like you're trying to chop the other guy in half, because swinging that hard sacrifices control over the sword and the follow through can take your sword dangerously far outside the actual combat area, leaving you wide open for a hit. A good swordfighter knows that all you really have to do is hit the guy. Swords are sharp. He will feel it and it will hurt. So swordfighters are usually trained to deliver shorter, lighter blows that leave the sword somewhere BETWEEN the weilder and the opponent. If it is hits, it hits; but if it's a miss, the sword is close enough to quickly transition into a parry or second strike and it's momentum is manageable enough that the transition won't be awkward. So if you're fighting well, you will almost never be delivering a swing that extreme.

I really liked the video. Very well done and I enjoyed the humour of it. But I have no intention of backing it.

It had GabeN in it. :D

It was not only awesome that GabeN was in it, but that he was making a statement about games taking a long time to make. Perfect use of GabeN.

I just saw this on another site yesterday. Very impressive and I like the idea of more realistic sword fighting. I feel that there's been a real lack of serious sword fighting game play. Skyward Sword did the best so far, as far as motion controls go, but the most "realistic" (in a sense) remains Bushido Blade and that was 15 years ago!

I normally wouldn't do this but since this subforum has become a haven for alternative kickstarter projects and that I will die if this particular kickstarter doesn't go through, I decided to break with my principles.

Clang! is not an adventure game. Clang! is a historically accurate sword-fighting simulation game by Neal Stephenson, author of geeky works of fiction like Snow Crash, Anathem and Cryptonomicon. It is now about half-way to it's 500k target with 24 days left in the project. This kind of realistic sword-fighting game is exactly what I've been wanting since I first played action games.

I'm trying hard not to sound too much like a commercial or a beggar, but I'd be remiss if I didn't bring this to your attention.

I don't really get it. This doesn't look good, but everyone is losing their shit for it. The pitch video is pretty good. I guess that's all it takes?

I thought I would give this a bump. A few technical updates have been made on the kickstarter page that go into some detail as to how it will work, including a gameplay mock-up. It really looks like they've thought through any possible issues, so if you were on the fence, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

1 week to go, and they're only at 75%

I don't think they will make it. The tech they are aiming it at is interesting, but the problem is, that they are mostly designing a technology that can be used others as well, not an actual game, albeit they are making a proof of concept game with the tech. So in irder to be interested, the pldger should be interested about financing a sword fighting tech for games with the potential promise of use in other games with sword fighting.

1 week to go, and they're only at 75%

The two guys were at less than that and they made it. Usually when a project is that far into funding the existing backers help get it over the threshold if there's a problem.

One big problem with Clang is, that in order to get the full kick out of the project you need the seperate motion controller for it, so even if you end up pledgin the minumum amount for the game itself you won't get the whole experience as it's meant to be. So in that sense they've dug themselves in two seperate holes.

They did manage to get themselves over the 100%, so congrats for that. Not a project I'd back myself, but interesting none the less, that there's so many sword fighting fans who are willing to shell out for developing a tech, that may or may not be seen on other games as well. On a disclaimer, I really don't see this to be a tech, that will have a wide spread use in gaming as such.

Not my thing but I'll try it out if I ever get a chance... the one thing that came to me when discussing this project over on Google+ was that this seems like the kind of Niche products that will find an audience... if a few people are willing to shell out a couple hundred or thousand bucks to build MAME Cabinets, one of these virtual pinball cabinets http://www.virtuapin.net/ or those Flight Simulator cockpits or even the professional versions of the RockBand3 Instruments and studio quality Mics for their home Karaoke machine... there is going to be a market for people spending the $100 (or whatever) for the Clang Low-latency, high-precision motion controller... It's not me but I can totally see those people being out there... I hope that those are the people who sponsored this Kickstarter though, because otherwise Neil is going to have a tonne of disappointed fanbois who just kicked in because they liked Snow Crash.

Clang is, along with Take Down, a project that has a good potential of disappointing people, who have backed with out proper info about the project itself. Clang because you actually need a seperate controller in order to get the most of the game and Take Down becuase they are actually doing only a proof of concept game in order to get a proper funding.

Sure, the people who backed with full knowledge and are part of the niche will be pleased, but I do believe there's some backers who didn't educate themselves of the full situation of the products.

Sign in to follow this