Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DEDLY CUKE

How do I play Scrapper?

I have been playing as a scrapper recently. Been having fun with it, too. Been using 6 rippers and throwing Collection prongs in as many areas around the maps as possible. Once I do that, I just stay in one general area.

Should I be moving all over the map using sprint legs? Should I have a knockback shot gun or a shredder turret for my green? Do I upgrade everyone's turrets asap?

Thanks. I am really trying to get better. I finally beat hospital to 100. Still can't get past like 60's or 70's on the other 2.

As a scrapper, the key thing to keep in mind is~ Shoot. EVERYTHING.

You should be loaded with sprint + and moving all the time.

High priority targets include Amps (due to glitchyness), 'bosses' (due to scrap), followed by general priority targets such as knobs and normal waves (tommy/resistor)

The green is part personal/team decided. I normally run an archie on swamp and a knockback on settlement but this is because I play with randoms and little strategy seems to get through during the pre-game lobby x3

Try placing the collections more sparingly to prevent wasted scrap (both literally from your pocket and from 'trapped scrap' ) upgrade them to cover large areas and leave more of the ground open for mines.

I normally make it a point to lay the foundation when I run a scrapper (meaning my scrap for the first while goes directly into my blue turret and only my blue turret, making certain we get the proper dampener or collector placement, again- I play with a lot of randoms so I adapted for that cause.) I'd recommend focusing on your blue unless the team NEEDS a shredder/archie/knockback, but that's because I'm used to playing with randoms who don't seem to know how to place greens or place far too many x3

After the framework is down you should be ENTIRELY CONSUMED with upgrading snipers.

SHORT VERSION-

Be a crazed 'shoot EVERYTHING' kind of guy when you run a scrapper. You should use the mindset that you are doing zero damage but should be shooting from the first second of the game to the last. The more you shoot, the better the rest of the players can put down the damage! (Be aggressive)

Also- if ya have trouble with teammates not killing enemies on paths you are 'defending' because they seem to misunderstand that you aren't hurting the enemy that much- throw on two/one hole puncher(s) and feather the trigger whenever you NEED to kill (try to save it and focus on just scrapping but it is a great assist due to knockback effect of hole punchers!)

/stuff/ :3

EDIT*~

Big things that can ruin a scrapper are stupid teammates (being a bit harsh, but teammates who don't understand that you are scrapping and say... shoot the amp who is glitched, killing him instead of letting you make a TON of scrap. And being inactive (because of the whole 'be aggressive' thing).

While I focus almost entirely on framework as a scrapper for the first while, if you have competent teammates it can be played a bit different with you upgrading a sniper extremely early on, or throwing a shredder as an engy throws a dampener for you *shrugs* :3

Red gives some excellent advise there... The right mind set is be aggressive and shoot everything! Expect to take a lot of damage to your trench if you're playing it right... Cathys will be your bane! Your scapping away on the Tommys when the Cathys come out and you lose 3/4 of your health! LOL

Remember that you can hit things as far away as 200... Use the full range of your rippers!

The Ripper never rests!

Good on ya for asking!

Put a repair crane close to the main conduit your playing that's out of reach of Knobs and BT's.

There's nothing worse as a scrapper than to have to run all the way back to the base to heal your fat Karlsson ass up for 5 minutes and run back every 10 waves.

Time is literally money.

I really wish I had a mic. I have yelled at my TV is frustration as teammates have watched me chase down mobs as they make their way to base and begin to whittle it away. And when the Amp gets stuck, way too many people come up and just blast it to hell before I have made an inkling of scrap off it.

Thanks again for the tips. I seem to have been playing pretty well, just need to tweak it a bit.

Personally, I usually shred with 2 hole punchers on top and 4 rippers. Speedy biped legs are essential....hot pants are too slow, so they don't really protect you like they would on an engineer trench. On settlement, mainly stay in the water, near the center conduit, which also gives quick access to the 'long path' to orange. Blitzers give a fair amount of scrap and so do the breakers after you crack 'em open. The hole punchers also keep the blitzers from touching you while you shred. As waves progress, you may want to have the ability to do some damage or knock the jacobs away from the other tubes that they're protecting. A lot of people like to do 3 rippers on one side and 3 fiestas on the other. You could give that a try if you want to actually kill things quickly in an emergency or be able to hurt the vault dropper, rather than just make scrap for your team the entire time. There's lots of ways to play differently w/ a shredder setup...try out stuff and see whats fun for your style of play.

Also..I use a wired cordless phone/cellular phone earpiece mic. You can get them for 3 dollars or less on ebay and unlike those crappy standard headsets made by microsoft they don't break!

...... I think I might give that headset a try >->

3/3 is not my taste, but completely true.

4/2 hole puncher used to be my FAVORITE run- but for maximum use I recommend treating 'feathering' the trigger as if it were poison. Use the hole puncher as SPARINGLY as possible (just a tap from time to time to hold in place WHEN YOU NEED TO) and you will make plenty of scrap, this makes you able to hold enemies along with scrapping without losing a good portion of the actual 'scrapping'.

It also- as mentioned- gives you a great boost for later jakobs, at least when compared to only rippers x3, best use during those waves would be to think in terms of holding the jakobs still. You want to stop them from following the normal tubes JUST LONG ENOUGH for a load of mines to come between them and the main tubes. Then you can relax as the jakobs run headfirst to their explosive death x3

Also....explosives will knock big willy off of a teammate that is holding the big willy in position for shredding....that first squeeze of the triggers...LOOK AWAY (just to be safe)...then hold the triggers till the willy dies. Same principle goes for the amp if you want the most scrap as possible.

Sign in to follow this