Sign in to follow this  
hotwaterltd

Telekinesis Training Glitch

Hi!

I'm running Psychonauts on a PC via Steam. I run Windows 7.

I'm having the same problem this person is having:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2735064

Essentially, I can't complete the telekinesis training. When I'm trying to throw the can through the hoop the first time, Raz drops the can and then can't pick it back up. Getting closer doesn't work. Reloading doesn't work.

The first time I tried to do the training I encountered a different glitch where somehow the can and Cruller wind up occupying the same space and every time I try to pick up the can I pick up Cruller. I saved and reloaded to try to fix THAT glitch. Help!

I had the same problem as you did. I just reloaded an earlier save and moved away from crueller when I did it the second time.

I have the same problem. But reloading an earlier save or moving away from crueller doesn't solve the glitch.

Please can someone help me? I really like this old game but am stuck.

I know this is an old thread - but it is exactly my problem.

Just ran into this glitch on the Steam version. I have no idea how to get past it. I can throw the clown trash can thing at first, but aiming it through the hoop causes it to glitch back to it's original position. After that occurs picking up Ford causes it to appear on him. How can I fix this and get to experience the rest of the game?

Ok so after some messing around with the glitch I've come to a consistent solution to get past it. I'll post it here so anyone who reads this in the future doesn't get stuck forever like I thought I was! (I haven't seen any other solutions posted anywhere online yet either.)

THE PROBLEM:

First off I set off to figure out what appears to be causing this glitch. The glitch occurs when you press the Telekinesis button (for me R) and then press any other button before you throw the trashcan. If you press any other button after pressing the Telekinesis button it will inevitably cause the game to set the trashcan back down into a glitched state instead of throw it. Once the trashcan becomes bugged into this glitched state it will no longer operate correctly making the training mission impossible to complete. After the trashcan becomes glitched if you pick up Ford the trashcan will appear on him. I'm guessing there is a programming error here which tells the game you should have the trashcan to throw, but somehow since it doesn't get thrown you still "have it" when you try to pick up Ford which is why it appears on him when you use Telekinesis on him. From that point on you can only pick up Ford even though the trashcan is literally on top of him. We can also see this glitch later on in the telekinesis training mission when the enemy censor appears. If you bug the trashcan when the enemy censor is present it will completely vanish making the training mission impossible to complete. Even if you kill the censor and the scene "resets" once Ford gives you his dialogue the trashcan will never reappear.

The glitch essentially comes down to some kind of programming error that is setting the trashcan to an invalid state if we press any buttons while trying to use the telekinesis skill here.

THE SOLUTION:

Press and hold down the telekinesis button one time to pick up the trashcan, and then while continuing to hold down the telekinesis button carefully aim with your joystick to where you need to throw the trashcan. Once you've aimed your throw simply let go of the telekinesis button and the trashcan should be thrown correctly. At any point during this entire training mission DO NOT press any other buttons at all. Only the telekinesis button and the joysticks. If you do each part of the training mission with this in mind you will get past it like I did!

I also wanted to note I am using a Logitech F310 PC controller, but I don't think that has anything to do with the glitch. I don't think this glitch is exclusive to the PC either since I clearly found this glitch on youtube on the PS2 version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoUbi4aFlA

I wonder if anyone from Double Fine would ever consider patching this on the PC port?

Thanks for coming back and posting the solution! If you email it to support@doublefine.com it may go on a list for future patches...