Sign in to follow this  
Arthur

Let's plan the future of the Game Club!

What should we play for Game Club?!  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What should we play for Game Club?!

• Beneath a Steel Sky
    • Bontanicula
    • Gemini Rue
    • Gray Matter
    • Machinarium
    • Maniac Mansion
    • Simon the Sorcerer 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Journey Down
    • The Last Express
    • Under a Killing Moon
    • Zak McKracken

I think I'll go with Maniac Mansion. I need a reason to play it again and it'd be nice to take a good look at the game that basically started the point-and-click adventure genre.

Some of the other games on the list I love, but I've also recently replayed. Just last week I played through Tales of Monkey Island again.

Voted for Gray Matter. It has a good intro, a pretty easy beginning with good mechanics for helping with hot spots and objectives, and I think most people who reach the cutscene after the first chapter will be hooked on the game.

The Last Express could be interesting also, since that´s in my backlog. :)

i would like to see Star Trek: Judgment Rites there as well. There was so much so well done in there and in many aspects way beyond expectations for an adventure game that it should be studied in the club.

for now, id go with gemini rue, preferably with the ingame commentary.

I'd love to see The Journey Down get a gameclub spot -- looks like Theo would be willing to throw out some promo codes to folks.. Give it your vote!

Theodor Waern ‏@theowaern

Hey @GregRicey, we'd love to see a DF game club playthrough of TJD. I'll hook you up with a ton of promo-codes. A ton! Wants?

Collapse

Greg Rice ‏@GregRicey

@theowaern That's definitely at the top of my list! It's in the community's hands now as they're voting now, but that's one of the options!

I'd love to see The Journey Down get a gameclub spot -- looks like Theo would be willing to throw out some promo codes to folks.. Give it your vote!

Hey @GregRicey, we'd love to see a DF game club playthrough of TJD. I'll hook you up with a ton of promo-codes. A ton! Wants?

Collapse

Greg Rice ‏@GregRicey

@theowaern That's definitely at the top of my list! It's in the community's hands now as they're voting now, but that's one of the options!

Wow, wish I new about that before I tossed my vote in. :P

A TJD playthrough would be awesome. Even more awesome would be if the devs for TJD joined in the chat for a bit of Q&A. If that would be an opportunity to chat with the game's developers and get some good insight on the choices they made while making TJD, I'd hate to miss out on it.

Collapse

Greg Rice ‏@GregRicey

Wow, wish I new about that before I tossed my vote in. :P

A TJD playthrough would be awesome. Even more awesome would be if the devs for TJD joined in the chat for a bit of Q&A. If that would be an opportunity to chat with the game's developers and get some good insight on the choices they made while making TJD, I'd hate to miss out on it.

yeh, i would even consider paying for the game afterwards, if i found it interesting.

Would like to see Resonance on the list (adventure game of the year as far as I'm concerned) but went for Grey Matter. Just because.

w00t! Gemini Rue is in the lead. Havent played that and i just got it off bundle in a box

If The Last Express wins any chance of getting Jordan Mechner to make an appearance?

Currently it looks like Gemini Rue is in the lead. I gotta say, that's a good pick! Should we go ahead and say that's the first pick for the brand new BACKER RUN GAME CLUB!?!! Maybe we should start a week from Saturday so people can have time to get the game and we can get everything set for how it will run? Would be rad if someone could make a schedule for the first 4-5 games so we can put that in a new thread and promote it.

I've emailed Joshua Nuernberger, (the fellow behind Gemini Rue), who says he'd be keen to join us on IRC for the Game Club on the 21st (jfrisby's suggestion - that gives us time to get into the game a little).

I haven't played Gemini Rue before, so I'm not certain how long the game is. Anybody got an idea of how many weeks worth of 1-2 hours we're going to be looking at?

Would we like to try to organise/coordinate some streaming?

its not too long, if you know what youre doing. i think it can be finished in 3 hours tops without much fooling around (overestimation). even the easter eggs and bonuses. the thing is that we should show some alternative solutions to some puzzles, but then again, there are not that many.

ive thought that in-game commentary would be a good thing to do, but since joshua is coming i see no problem with that.

i wont be able to attend :(, so pls post a log of irc somewhere later. saturday night is usually quite problematic for me :P.

I'll try to keep a log :)

I have a log of the Sword & Sworcery one where Craig from Superbrothers joined us, but we talked about spoilery stuff that Craig said he wouldn't normally talk about, so I'm not sure whether I should be making it too available >_<

As someone who has no chance of attending the RT chats I'd also like it if they were posted somewhere here on the forums. Particualrly if there is a contribution from a game developer like Craig.

This is a community only area so it seems reasonable as anyone from here, in theory, could have (barring time differences/other committments) attended and seen the content anyway so therefore should be able to view it here.

I haven't played Gemini Rue before, so I'm not certain how long the game is. Anybody got an idea of how many weeks worth of 1-2 hours we're going to be looking at?

I've played through it with a pretty casual pace, looking around a lot etc., and it took me ~7 hours to complete it .. however, it was basically on one sitting, without taking breaks, so I probably got a bit stuck than you would if you let your brain work out the issues in peace .. I would assume that if it's not going to be a speedrun, it would take ~3 sessions to complete.

I'll try to keep a log :)

I have a log of the Sword & Sworcery one where Craig from Superbrothers joined us, but we talked about spoilery stuff that Craig said he wouldn't normally talk about, so I'm not sure whether I should be making it too available >_<

i have already finished the game. on three sittings lol. one sitting per session. i got extremely lucky.

Oh, awesome! Glad Josh will join us!

I actually just finally beat Gemini Rue after about 2 months of playing, I think it took me four sessions, around 6-8 hours... Don't quite know why it took me that long in between, it took a little while to "get into" -- well worth it though!

I'll look into trying to do some streaming sometime (no promises)...

Josh wrote an excellent postmortem on his experience designing the game:

Gemini Rue Postmortem

so yeh, 3 hours for a person who have already finished it is reasonable :).

Alrighty, so as Greg said, we should probably get a schedule up and happening and move forward with a post announcing that we're moving on to Gemini Rue, setting times, etc.

I may have gotten a little confused though - did we actually finish S&S?

Whoa if someone could save out chat logs to view that would be awesome! I missed Craig's stuff too and would love to read it. So is the plan to start up Gemini Rue this Saturday then? If someone starts a thread with a schedule, chat info, and links to spot where the game can be purchased I'll promote it!

Whoa if someone could save out chat logs to view that would be awesome! I missed Craig's stuff too and would love to read it. So is the plan to start up Gemini Rue this Saturday then? If someone starts a thread with a schedule, chat info, and links to spot where the game can be purchased I'll promote it!

jonathanfrisby has just done this :D

The first community run Game Club session seemed to go well :)

Looking forwards, I think we should probably look towards trying to get the word out a bit more (thanks to everybody who tweeted/posted/created Steam group events/told their friends about it).

I didn't see the log of the final S&S ep chat that included Craig's input (from Super Brothers) on that link, has/can someone posted that?

I didn't see the log of the final S&S ep chat that included Craig's input (from Super Brothers) on that link, has/can someone posted that?

Superbrothers chat log (game SPOILERS)

And there are accompanying videos here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-game-club

And there are accompanying videos here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-game-club

Awesome, thanks for that!

With us rapidly approaching the end of Gemini Rue, we should work out what our next game will be. Yama pointed out on IRC that in the previous Game Club poll, Machinarium and The Longest Journey were tied. The definitely have more votes than Tales of Monkey Island or The Last Express do in this poll.

Regardless, if I'm going to be doing the stream again, I'll probably want a good amount of time to make sure I don't have any problems.

Hi folks,

Sorry about disappearing - moving house ate up my time. I'm glad to see things went ahead anyway.

One question - where is the thread for the Gemini Rue playthrough? I can't see it anywhere.

Hi folks,

Sorry about disappearing - moving house ate up my time. I'm glad to see things went ahead anyway.

One question - where is the thread for the Gemini Rue playthrough? I can't see it anywhere.

Welcome back, Arthur. :)

Greg moved the thread out of the backers-only section of the forum and into General Discussion. You can find it here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7338/

Sign in to follow this