Sign in to follow this  
Arthur

Let's plan the future of the Game Club!

What should we play for Game Club?!  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What should we play for Game Club?!

• Beneath a Steel Sky
    • Bontanicula
    • Gemini Rue
    • Gray Matter
    • Machinarium
    • Maniac Mansion
    • Simon the Sorcerer 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Journey Down
    • The Last Express
    • Under a Killing Moon
    • Zak McKracken

If there's no further discussion to be had on the selection of the next game, I'm happy to propose (and decide if nobody has any objections ^_^ ) that Machinarium be our next game.

If there's no further discussion to be had on the selection of the next game, I'm happy to propose (and decide if nobody has any objections ^_^ ) that Machinarium be our next game.

I have no objection to Machinarium. I needed a reason to replay that game.

Alrighty, Machinarium it is!

I've shot an email off to Amanita to see if they'd be interested in being involved. I want to hold off on getting a new thread up and happening just in case people find that and think that we're not doing Gemini Rue stuff anymore.

I started a new job last week, and the schedule is killing me (). I don't think I'm going to be able to stream/look after game club (sorry guys) for a little while.

Is anybody else willing to grab/share the reins?

I'm just chatting with Syd and a couple of others in IRC. We're looking at putting together a schedule that alternates between a classic title and a newer title (to keep things interesting). Here's what we're currently proposing:

* Machinarium (new - we just finished it now)

* The Secret Of Monkey Island (old - first Monkey island game - it'd be nice to work through them rather than starting at Tales, and maybe Tim or Ron would be interested in doing a Q&A with us?)

* The Journey Down (new - I think the devs have said on Desura that they might be up for a Q&A with us if we play the game)

* Beneath A Steel Sky (older - highly ranked in this poll)

With Sam & Max have their 25th anniversary this year (it was in July, I think). It would be good/nice to take advantage of/pay respects to that and see if Steve Purcel would be up for Q&A with us as well.

Edit:

I'd also like to get a Game Club twitch.tv account made up (I'm happy to keep using mine, but it feels a bit like Game Club deserves one of its own, and sharing out my streaming key feels a bit weird). I was thinking I could also put together a little single page website to put the IRC channel and the stream in one place (taking inspiration from the Wolfire community's OG Weekly site).

Anybody got any thoughts?

Here's a quick knocktogether I've done. which brings a twitch.tv stream and the IRC channel together in one place. It's also got an option for hiding the webchat thingy if you want to use an IRC client. I'll give it a bit more of a polish during the week and we can look at using it for the next stream if nobody's got any objections.

http://jbushproductions.com/temp/dfgc/

With Machinarium out of the way and Monkey 1 finishing up on the coming weekend, how does this sound as an updated schedule?

* The Journey Down (new - devs are up for Q&A and have given us 10 desura keys to share around)

* Beneath A Steel Sky (older - highly ranked in this poll)

* The Last Express (newish - highly ranked in this poll)

* Sam & Max Hit The Road (older - 25th anniversary of S&M is this year)

Does anybody have The Last Express and is willing to stream?

Alrighty, after a bit of messing around (and with some assistance from lietu), I've polished up the page a bit and got it hosted via GitHub. For anybody who doesn't know, GitHub is a code sharing site geared towards collaborative software development, and so should be a good place for us to keep this without any specific dependence on one person.

Currently lietu and I have admin rights, but it'd be nice to have one or two extra peoples just in case either of us has to drop back our level of involvement or become otherwise occupied.

http://double-fine-game-club.github.com/

The source itself can be found here: https://github.com/Double-Fine-Game-Club/double-fine-game-club.github.com

I reckon we'll add a repo for the title cards and stuff as well :)

Syd, Fireflower and myself have the current lineup of titles as Police Quest 1, Time Gentlemen, Please! and Sam & Max Culture Shock.

Frogacuda has expressed interest in the PQ1 thread in seeing Game Club do Under A Killing Moon. I'm not familiar with the Tex Murphy series though - would we be best off starting with the first game?

Also, The Cave isn't far away. It'd be nice to run through that at some point in February/March (Syd and I are keen to stream it, and I've also asked Greg if he or anyone else at DF wants to get involved, so we'll probably draw straws or rubber chickens to decide who gets to do it). I'm not really sure about the best way to tackle this one. Depending on its length, we could stream playthroughs with different characters as different games (allowing us to cover the breadth of the game's content without getting stuck on it for longer than people might have patience for).

Pandora directive might be better has way better acting and is overall a better game. That is if you only play 1 of the series. Though you might miss some references but its a totally separate story line.

Frogacuda has expressed interest in the PQ1 thread in seeing Game Club do Under A Killing Moon. I'm not familiar with the Tex Murphy series though - would we be best off starting with the first game?

Under a Killing Moon is the "Metal Gear Solid" of its series -- a pseudo-reboot that redefined the series, and requires no past experience with the series.

The earlier games don't hold up well, and not only are they not necessary, they're not even canon, strictly speaking. They've retconned a lot of the details, anyway. Mean Streets isn't even an adventure game, in the strict sense.

The later games, on the other hand, are pretty deeply connected to UAKM, especially the characters and locations. Pandora is usually considered the best one, but I'd still play UAKM first.

So yeah, start with UAKM.

I volunteer for some streaming

I am not avaible EVERY saturday but I have almost no plans every weekend.

Such is life.

Currently, we've been having one streamer handle all the streams for a particular game (eg: Fireflower did all of PQ1, and Syd will be doing all of Time Gentlemen, Please!).

If we can get some more streamers onboard, I think we should look towards having backup people and sharing saves around so that it's not so much of a disaster if somebody has an emergency and can't do their stream.

Il see what i can do.

But i wont make any promises yet though as i said in the chat.

I need to extensivly test my eqiupment and make myself familliar with the program syd mentioned which on first glance looks rather nice.

I also need some time considering it if i actually have time for it.

If one sign up do you have to complete an entire series

or be aviable evry time?

Lets say you only have time for 2-3 streams a month.

Sign in to follow this