Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Art Update #4: Team Growth and Backer Inspiration

Now this is the kind of exciting news one truly loves. Chan, Scott C., Nathan B. AND Lee Petty and most of this stuff is just them playing around? Not even definite concepts or maybe stuff that might be used for another game down the line. Maybe in the non existent Redbot and Hipster Lumberjack in Infinite Worlds of Impossibilities?

That's the kind of fun "game"/cartoon I could see Majus doing!

Although I'd rather see them somehow find a way to sneak it in a hidden game on like the spaceship. It can be a silly little game... like the $30,000 game we would've gotten or something.

I don't know... I just hate seeing ideas that actually gain attraction and that seem to be being used to develop everything going to waste when the final product ships.

OMG! They read my post *EEEEEEEEEEEEE* :cheese:

I'm totally printing that out and hanging it in my office! Might even buy Scott's book now as a thank you.

With a bunch of us throwing out a similar but unexplored idea like that it may just be time to make it happen! So much potential in Origami Land.

Seth

All of these are cool but Origami World and Haunted Lighthouse on the Moon both really piqued my interests. What sort of space vessel needs a light house on the moon? With Origami World, it's just so easy to see how that could be used for all manner of creative activities.

My own suggestion was not chosen sadly... probably it was too generic for Double Fine's delightfully eccentric taste. :)

Now this is amazing please do some more. I love the lighthouse on the moon concept it looks brilliant. I think it would be amazing if the actual game this was used and the boy or girl came to it while it was active then the other one came to the same location when it becomes haunted years later.

I really like Peter Chan‘s illustration of a forest or jungle lit up by countless fireflies,the overweight ones made me laugh :)

hahah thats one Big light house! or the Moon is very very small, either way its pretty damn cool.

Welcome to the new people on the team.

I am a big fan of both Scott and Peter's work. Scott's I think blends especially well with Bagel's, but I'd like to see how Peter influences things as well.

The overweight, bouncing fireflies just make me happy. I'm going to assume the haunted moon lighthouse would fit with the futuristic story. Like that one too, yep.

So cool that Scott C and Pete C are coming aboard!

This game's going to have the coolest art ever!

Yay! More talented professional artists! I hope they will get a part in a future documentary video showing off their skills so that we can see them in action!

A forest or jungle lit up by countless fireflies is my favourite visually, and the origami world has imo the greatest potential for creative gameplay. The Fireflies conceptual art reminds me of the evening world in thatgamecompany's Flower, when the night flowers all are all glowing. To see that kind of world fully realized in a 2D game could be so beautiful. Meanwhile the origami world reminds me of the Paper Mario series (particularly The Thousand Year Door) in terms of it's potential paper-based puzzles and exploration mechanics. The Lighthouse on the moon is my honorable mention since it has my second favourite visual style and the second greatest potential for creative gameplay using gravity, light properties, and, of course, a 'moon is made out of cheese' joke puzzle. I also really like a starry sky over a field of bioluminiscent grass just because I like the concept itself. Perhaps this could be a portion of the Fireflies level, since they seem to share many qualities with each other IMO. I'm already getting eager to see the future of these locations when they have been placed into the game itself.

Yay Origami land! :D

Awesome to hear that we have more awesome artists on board. Will be looking forward to more awesome sketches from the massive mountain of ideas (44 pages now? WOW! :o )

Nice :)

Don't forget to mention that Peter Chan did the Character Designs, the Cover Art and most of the incredible Ingame Artwork on Day of the Tentacle. ;) I love that stuff. It's truly a great inspiration.

Have fun designing you 4 awesome Artist Guys. Can't wait to see more cool stuff.

All of these look awesome! My personal favorite is the fireflies world. I think the overweight fireflies should be the norm in this world!! Fireflies going to the gym and running on the treadmill should be punished, made the laughing stock of little overweight firefiles and be exiled from the land. And what if all these fireflies could collaborate when a thread (one of the protagonists) comes in the land.. Like for example, unite into one giant mean lean Bruce Lee like giant firefly with Bruce Lee sounds and all!

Or even better like Sammo Hung (in Enter the fat dragon):

)

or a giant sumo wrestler (in uniform)! (yes, I've been hallucinating lately!)

ps. Peter Chan! Still remember some artwork I saw in a British magazine (PC gamer or PC format I think) for Full Throttle back in the day (1994-1995 I think). It had some awesome looking bikes in it! Aaa, the memories :)

Re: Haunted Lighthouse on the moon

Lighthouses typically help sea vessels navigate, especially at night or in heavy fog. This begs the question of what a haunted moon lighthouse is assisting.

Also, is the haunted lighthouse on the moon haunted with....

uuVZw.png

Well space is a kind of a nautical metaphor, culturally speaking. There's the exploration aspect, nautical names for vessels (in even the more grounded cases they generally call them space SHIPS) and sometimes they take it even further than that and actually put a bunch of marine life in space fiction. Whales, dolphins and octopi are not uncommon in science fiction.

And it works the other way around, too, with stuff like Ecco the Dolphin's final level where you're fighting deep under the ocean and it's basically pitch black (like space), and you're fighting these suspiciously gigeresque aliens (much like the titular Alien from that film that mostly took place in SPACE on a SHIP).

Peter Chan joining the team? That's amazing! :snake:

This is really fascinating, and makes me wonder how all these settings will fit together. With the different artists, will there be a slightly different style to emphasise the radical differences in setting?

Really exciting post.

This is really fascinating, and makes me wonder how all these settings will fit together. With the different artists, will there be a slightly different style to emphasise the radical differences in setting?

Really exciting post.

simple. fantasies of the boy and the girls. very much like psychonauts. this would be the easiest, most obvious route, not guaranteed to be taken by DF.

I love them all, the lighthouse on the moon is great looking and total randomness which I love, I also like the idea of the origami and the fireflies carrying the glowing girls.... that's just a perfect scene, matches well with the bioluminiscent grass of the other idea.

very nice!

I suppose all this brainstorming and art are basically the colored dots snowing down on Tim. I'm *very* curious what it's all going to lead to!

This is going to be such an immensely crazy game. Love it already.

Sign in to follow this