Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Koco

Hotel Transylvania

I figured HEY! There's a thread for Wreck-It-Ralph so I guess it's fine if I make one for Hotel Transylvania.

Anyone heard of it/seen the trailer? Think it looks ridiculously awesome or just average? Share your opinion.

Personally, I'm ecstatic about this film. I love the interesting take on the classic monster concept. It's the sort of thing I can see being a lot of fun. I went to see Brave last week, (which I loved, btw) and this trailer was one of the lineup of previews before it.

Honestly it looks really mediocre to me. Do love the amount of gothic family films coming out though. I just think Frankenweenie and especially ParaNorman look better.

XBfcGLBJ2Uc

0zIjLA8NGLY

Totally ecstatic about those as well.

I loved the original Frankenweenie as a child, so seeing it hit the big screen again is beyond awesome.

Fun fact! Hotel Hotel Transylvania is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky who is the creator of Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack and Sym-bionic Titan. He also directed the 2003 animated and award winning mini series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, in which George Lucas actually asked Genndy personally to direct.

Wait so the guy behind all that awesome stuff couldn't have at least made this movie a little more interesting to look at? I mean I don't want to beat up on it but it's so generically CGI that I wanted to dismiss it before I was even five seconds into the trailer. This is Dreamworks boring here. And is 2D so much harder to do then CGI even with digital processes that no animation studio outside of Disney wants the hassle or is there just a really stupid stigma surrounding 2D now?

There is a stupid stigma surrounding 2D in western non-french countries.

Yeah... Stupid Hollywood! If you're gonna do CGI at least make it interesting looking. I mean gee-fuckin-whiz has nobody been paying attention to anything Pixar has done the past 17 years? Never mind amazing story telling and attention to detail and quality. How about how no two Pixar franchise looks EXACTLY like any of the others. Oh there are some artistic flairs that sneak into each movie but character and setting design can vary by a lot. If Dreamworks and to a lesser degree 20th Century Fox stole just that from Pixar their movies would be a lot more fun to watch.

There is a lot of reason for it.

1. Disney making movies about fairy tales and other children stories gives people the impression that cartoons are for children.

2. Disney mass marketing family friendly movies, shows ect which further enforces that cartoons are for children.

3. Hanna-Barbara making cheap and child friendly cartoons.

4. Others following the style of making cartoons for children.

1. Disney making movies about fairy tales and other children stories gives people the impression that cartoons are for children.

2. Disney mass marketing family friendly movies, shows ect which further enforces that cartoons are for children.

That makes no sense at all. When did we start having a shortage of children to market cartoons too? Personally I think Hollywood is just so stupid and set in their ways that they completely fail to realize that maybe 2D animation can in fact appeal to kids still.

That makes no sense at all. When did we start having a shortage of children to market cartoons too? Personally I think Hollywood is just so stupid and set in their ways that they completely fail to realize that maybe 2D animation can in fact appeal to kids still.

This is why to this day parents buy Elfin Lied or End of Evangelion for their small children.

I get the Animation Ghetto concept but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that CGI films can make butt loads of money and in the past 2D films have also made butt loads of money, so what's dissuading Hollywood from making films of both types? What's the consensus that led everyone to go: "Welp, no more 2D/Handdrawn Animated Movies! We're all Computer Generated all the time now!"

I get the Animation Ghetto concept but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that CGI films can make butt loads of money and in the past 2D films have also made butt loads of money, so what's dissuading Hollywood from making films of both types? What's the consensus that led everyone to go: "Welp, no more 2D/Handdrawn Animated Movies! We're all Computer Generated all the time now!"
Because it's a lot easier to make use of realD and that shit when its a 3d rendered model. They want those higher ticket prices.

Because it's a lot easier to make use of realD and that shit when its a 3d rendered model. They want those higher ticket prices.

This goes back to before the 3D craze though. 3D is a relatively recent fad. This CGI thing has been going on since Toy Story was released.

Well then it might have to do with the fact that most good hand drawn stuff is drawn frame by frame where as in 3d animation you can just have a single model of the character and manipulate it for all the scenes. Personally if I was an animator, I would find the latter easier.

Sign in to follow this