Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 3: Codename: Reds

Great: Drinking for Gaming... or something like that... :P

But: Psychonauts 2 with codename?? HELL! (sorry)

Go Reds!

... Anyone but me thinking about Yojimbo and the Reds and the Whites?

Fantastic episode! I checked the forum just a few seconds after the video came up and the forum was naturally a bit on the slow side. :)

Well, I sure hope Tim figures out how to explain the games plot to us someday... or we get to see some of his iteration on explaining it to the team sometime, and how it comes in to focus -- these videos/updates are all sort of "burying the lead" as far as the development goes until we get some idea on the story front.

It'll definitely be a balancing act between getting material out there and not wanting to just ruin every potential surprise. With as many backers we have, I'm sure there's a big spectrum of opinion in terms of how spoilery people want the actual story-related content to be. We'll see how it goes!

.. and will we get an update on how many "slacker backers" have pre-ordered?

This might be possible. I can say right now it's definitely a tiny fraction of how many Kickstarter backers we have. (If anyone was worried about the slacker backer option "opening the floodgates" and leading to overcrowding on the forums, I don't think that's going to be an issue.)

This video actually slightly depressed me, since I will never work somewhere as awesome as Double Fine, nor have a boss as awesome as Tim.

Kinda like how all those people got depressed after watching Avatar, or something? Except maybe not that dramatic.

Still, my favorite episode so far!

I think i was depressed after Avatar for different reasons.

Because the plot was predictable at any given moment or because it had gigantic holes?

Fantastic episode! I checked the forum just a few seconds after the video came up and the forum was naturally a bit on the slow side. :)

Yeah, this happened last time as well. We took precautions this time--we upgraded our server capacity, and we released the forum post about an hour before the Kickstarter update, so it wasn't all content going up at once. It wasn't QUITE enough to pull off a launch with no hiccups, but it did definitely help, as the site only went down for a matter of minutes this time, instead of a couple hours like last time.

So, an iPhone embed is out of the question?

This the first video, that I can't play on my iPhone watisupwiddat?!?

Well, I sure hope Tim figures out how to explain the games plot to us someday... or we get to see some of his iteration on explaining it to the team sometime, and how it comes in to focus -- these videos/updates are all sort of "burying the lead" as far as the development goes until we get some idea on the story front.

It'll definitely be a balancing act between getting material out there and not wanting to just ruin every potential surprise. With as many backers we have, I'm sure there's a big spectrum of opinion in terms of how spoilery people want the actual story-related content to be. We'll see how it goes!

I think some of this is inevitable because this is about seeing the sausage gets made. You could show the process of a dropped idea or alternatively talk about a real idea but make a twist in the game that will actually make anyone who watched that video surprised.

News to me, other people have had it working on the iphone. Will investigate.

I am amazed every time by the quality of these episodes, they are absolutely riveting. Its good to see our Kickstarter money went not only to a great video game company, but to a great team of filmmakers as well. Keep up the good work!

Great episode - but was a bit disappointed to learn of the cancellation of Once Upon A Monster 2. :( I thought it was a great idea, even though I never played it myself due not owning a Kinect nor being a parent, but I was recommending it to friends that were because I'd heard good things. Was it mainly a didn't sell well enough thing or something like that (if you can say that is of course.)

Suddenly after two dozen tries, it suddenly worked fine. So it works on the iPhone. I tried for a loooooong time before I posted, but second time I tried, after my post, it worked - Karma! I blame YOU!

Wow, this Episode uncovered so many of the things I was looking forward to! It was awesome!!

FYI using Vimeo pretty much gives all the backer's access to download a HD version of the show.

If you have a download manager it's really simple to get hold of the Episodes, kind of something to think of in terms of Slacker Backers... or the 15$ tier.

Also wondering if the Sidequests are considered as extras or part of the show?

News to me, other people have had it working on the iphone. Will investigate.

Works fine for me on an iPhone 4s over 4g, both Kickstarter and DFA forum embeds. Are you using something other then the default Safari browser? Do you see the embedded video and it won't play or does it not appear at all?

<3

Great episode, even if it was mildly torturous to see those meetings without seeing any of the details of the game that were being discussed. One question, will any of the spoilerific footage be cut into the final documentary, perhaps? These episodes seem very friendly in terms of not spoiling too much, but the doco will outlive this period of pre-release backer anticipation, and it would be really nice to ultimately see some of the meat (sausage?) of design meetings and so on.

High concept and ambiguity sound great to me. As long as the story has a strong personal side it shouldn't be a problem if there are aspects there that don't immediately click for everyone. I think it's a good thing, actually. There are plenty of great games which are abstract without explanation anyway so comprehensibility and enjoyment aren't locked together. Also, don't you love it when playing, watching or reading something for the xth time and you realize or discover something new about the world or plot which gives you a whole new appreciation for it? Or even better, when you see\interpret ambiguous elements in a new light? Of course, I have no idea what the concepts in question are so this is just bla bla bla.

Wow, this Episode uncovered so many of the things I was looking forward to! It was awesome!!

FYI using Vimeo pretty much gives all the backer's access to download a HD version of the show.

If you have a download manager it's really simple to get hold of the Episodes, kind of something to think of in terms of Slacker Backers... or the 15$ tier.

Also wondering if the Sidequests are considered as extras or part of the show?

Sidequests are extras, and we know people can download the show easily but you can't stop that from happening on any service really. That's why we're saving the 1080p versions till the end, so we can still release something unique.

<3

Great episode, even if it was mildly torturous to see those meetings without seeing any of the details of the game that were being discussed. One question, will any of the spoilerific footage be cut into the final documentary, perhaps? These episodes seem very friendly in terms of not spoiling too much, but the doco will outlive this period of pre-release backer anticipation, and it would be really nice to ultimately see some of the meat (sausage?) of design meetings and so on.

High concept and ambiguity sound great to me. As long as the story has a strong personal side it shouldn't be a problem if there are aspects there that don't immediately click for everyone. I think it's a good thing, actually. There are plenty of great games which are abstract without explanation anyway so comprehensibility and enjoyment aren't locked together. Also, don't you love it when playing, watching or reading something for the xth time and you realize or discover something new about the world or plot which gives you a whole new appreciation for it? Or even better, when you see\interpret ambiguous elements in a new light? Of course, I have no idea what the concepts in question are so this is just bla bla bla.

Asif addressed this earlier in the thread, but what we;re thinking about is doing something with the spoiler material after the game is out. Not sure what yet, but we don't want to waste it.

Great episode, but i want to see turtles :D and cake!

Question for you though Chris, has anyone told you that your Profile Pic resembles Brandon Frasier?

Also how do you like working with Tim and the DF team? :D

EDIT: I made an edit because i forgot one thing i wanted to ask. Would it be possible to see more of the mechanics within the game later? Like the evolution of the games engine, and possible the process in which you create certain interactions with npcs? Guess im just more of a Techy :D everything so far has been great and im loving the updates!

Loved this episode :D

It's great to meet the team.

Also Anna Uses WinXP and the same keyboard I do which makes her the coolest team member :D

EDIT: I made an edit because i forgot one thing i wanted to ask. Would it be possible to see more of the mechanics within the game later? Like the evolution of the games engine, and possible the process in which you create certain interactions with npcs? Guess im just more of a Techy :D everything so far has been great and im loving the updates!

I really like the format of the Doc, the way it is as even I am a "techy" I don't think the general Doc would be interesting for everyone; the same goes for other aspects as well. Let's just hope they keep the footage and share it on the Blu Ray as some sort of bonus feature maybe even split it up into categories or something.

I'm really liking the way the show is going, and I think it's definitely got a lot of re-play value. Trying to get more slacker-backers in, but when the final product is done, I'm really looking forward to show this to my dad or some other numb-nut that think videogames are a complete waste of time.

Edit:

Wondering if there are any plans of adding subtitle tracks to the DVD/Blu-ray?

Holy crap, you guys are using Hungarian Notation in your code?? Bad! Bad developers! D:

I really like the format of the Doc, the way it is as even I am a "techy" I don't think the general Doc would be interesting for everyone; the same goes for other aspects as well. Let's just hope they keep the footage and share it on the Blu Ray as some sort of bonus feature maybe even split it up into categories or something.

I'm really liking the way the show is going, and I think it's definitely got a lot of re-play value. Trying to get more slacker-backers in, but when the final product is done, I'm really looking forward to show this to my dad or some other numb-nut that think videogames are a complete waste of time.

Edit:

We're trying to encourage people to follow the team member forum posts for the hardcore tech info. It's going to be difficult to get across in the documentary.

Also Anna Uses WinXP and the same keyboard I do which makes her the coolest team member :D

They just got me a brand new computer with Win7 that I'm about to switch to...

But the keyboard stays!

Edit:

Subtitles are in the works. We want to have the streaming episodes subtitled soon, and the physical release will definitely have subs for the series.

Holy crap, you guys are using Hungarian Notation in your code?? Bad! Bad developers! D:

It makes Lua a whole lot more readable that way. :D It's a weakly typed language and following this convention lets someone know at least what the intended use is for a variable.

I knew I woke up early today for a reason.

Great epp.. Hello to all the team.

this epp just makes me wish time would move faster so I can see/read what happens next.

They just got me a brand new computer with Win7 that I'm about to switch to...

But the keyboard stays!

Well, in that case goodbye XP sister!

You shall be missed :(

Still coolest member though :D

Every time I watch one of these I can't wait for the next one. I really liked seeing the programming and engine development side of the project as well. The new team members all seem great and I'm excited to see them again in future episodes.

Damn, I wish that Lumberjack-looking dude would be included in the game, even if only as an Easter Egg.

His expression is just fantastic!

Sign in to follow this