Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 3: Codename: Reds

Holy crap, you guys are using Hungarian Notation in your code?? Bad! Bad developers! D:

It makes Lua a whole lot more readable that way. :D It's a weakly typed language and following this convention lets someone know at least what the intended use is for a variable.

dont let it get to you. in reality, what is important is to have SOME convention, when youre working with other ppl. something you agree upon and find comfortable is optimal. i can entirely understand why you do that, as i have more than a little experience with weakly type languages.

Holy crap, you guys are using Hungarian Notation in your code?? Bad! Bad developers! D:

It makes Lua a whole lot more readable that way. :D It's a weakly typed language and following this convention lets someone know at least what the intended use is for a variable.

I'm just going to leave this here for you: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html :)

EDIT: I made an edit because i forgot one thing i wanted to ask. Would it be possible to see more of the mechanics within the game later? Like the evolution of the games engine, and possible the process in which you create certain interactions with npcs? Guess im just more of a Techy :D everything so far has been great and im loving the updates!

I really like the format of the Doc, the way it is as even I am a "techy" I don't think the general Doc would be interesting for everyone; the same goes for other aspects as well. Let's just hope they keep the footage and share it on the Blu Ray as some sort of bonus feature maybe even split it up into categories or something.

I'm really liking the way the show is going, and I think it's definitely got a lot of re-play value. Trying to get more slacker-backers in, but when the final product is done, I'm really looking forward to show this to my dad or some other numb-nut that think videogames are a complete waste of time.

Edit:

Wondering if there are any plans of adding subtitle tracks to the DVD/Blu-ray?

We're trying to encourage people to follow the team member forum posts for the hardcore tech info. It's going to be difficult to get across in the documentary.

That's understandable :D I usually get really interested in things like that, mostly because I am taking Graphic Design and Programming classes at my Community College. Ill check out the other forum for the tech info :D I do want to know if there will be a DVD we can buy on the store later as i wasnt able to buy in for that at the time, if so that would be awesome!

Really enjoying the series so far, guys. Keep up the great work! :D

Did Brandon really put a toolkit together over a weekend (albeit a prototype)? As a programmer myself, I suddenly feel terribly inadequate.

Really enjoying the series so far, guys. Keep up the great work! :D

Did Brandon really put a toolkit together over a weekend (albeit a prototype)? As a programmer myself, I suddenly feel terribly inadequate.

tell me about it...

That's understandable :D I usually get really interested in things like that, mostly because I am taking Graphic Design and Programming classes at my Community College. Ill check out the other forum for the tech info :D I do want to know if there will be a DVD we can buy on the store later as i wasnt able to buy in for that at the time, if so that would be awesome!

The physical version of the series will be available publicly. It just want have the same packaging and extras as the backer version. We may have some exclusive video content on it as well but the meat of the series will be here on the forums.

Fantastic episode, really enjoying these videos. Keep up the great work, and DF really does look like a great place to work.

Fantastic episode, really enjoying these videos. Keep up the great work, and DF really does look like a great place to work.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the series Jason, being someone who teaches game design yourself.

So great, all this stuff is wonderful to see. I'm so happy that all of you guys are putting this together!

Yay! Loved it!

Every episode is like a little ray of sunshine that makes my day brighter and makes me smile :D there's something incredibly heart warming about them.

As a developer myself it's lovely to see you guys at work. I love the idea of drinking for all your projects, even cancelled ones. I've worked on more cancelled projects than released ones though so I would have a very poorly liver :(

Keep up the good work all!

Great episode! The Chinatown pub crawl looked like so much fun but I hope the cost of drinks didn't come out of the DFA budget %-P

For the wrap party all 87,142 backers should go on one huge pub crawl, retracing the teams steps!

Absolutely fantastic episode, production is top class, audio / visual, just Smurf. My tiny investment in the grand scheme of things have been repaid by this single episode, and somehow there's more to come, thanks!

Happy to find the episode was up today when I checked! I'm sorry for the grief we put on you guys for this update. As I said before silence is by far the scariest thing when an expected update is supposed to appear. But always, take your time, and make it a quality product! :)

Also I love the drawings @15:05 in the video, especially that adorable girl on the rock. I want her to be in the game. Even if she's just sitting on that rock :P

"Hey, maybe this thing you're doing shouldn't be done....thanks."

Haha, that made me laugh, just the whole situation, and Tim's response to it. :D

Great video.

Chris, were you ever so slightly terrified when you asked that question?

Not really, but I probably wouldn't have asked it if I knew it would be my only representation in this episode!

Thanks to everyone at 2 Player Productions and Double Fine for another great episode. I think the most interesting thing to me at this point is seeing just how unsure everyone is at this point in time, but are still doing what they can to try and anticipate what some of the needs are going to be.

Can't wait for the next one!

I'm just going to leave this here for you: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html :)

Ahh, it is not Systems Hungarian. :D It's a handful of conventions to make variable naming easier and the intention/usage more obvious, like the examples given earlier in that article.

So far this documentary series has been well worth my contribution to DFA. At this point I don't even care if I get the game, I just want these episodes!

So far this documentary series has been well worth my contribution to DFA. At this point I don't even care if I get the game, I just want these episodes!

Hear that RED's team? Pressure is off. Just pretend to do stuff and we'll try to stretch this out.

Best episode so far. Could have watched an entire movie just of this pre-production phase. This is the best video/movie/show/whatever I've seen about videogames yet. You guys have far surpassed my expectations, and they were even set pretty high to begin with.

Great video.

Chris, were you ever so slightly terrified when you asked that question?

Not really, but I probably wouldn't have asked it if I knew it would be my only representation in this episode!

It's ok, we still love you for who you really are.

This was a really great episode. I love hearing about what each individual team member is working on, the problems they are identifying, the solutions they are coming up with. The forum posts from the team members are great for getting that kind of focused detail. But I really appreciate this episode, because it gives us our first taste of what the forum posts can't: what it looks like when Double Fine's team members collaborate.

I know from assembling/leading my own teams (though not in game development) that the output is as much determined by the chemistry that happens between team members as it is by each member's individual talent. So while it is cool to see Oliver posting about programming or Lee and Bagel posting about art or Tim posting about writing, it is even more satisfying for me to see the confluence of these individual talents in design conversations. Whether it's Tim checking out Brandon's toolset, Lee and Bagel working out the art problems/solutions, or the team's first standup, it's great to see the team come together and start collaborating on the build.

Love you guys. Hope you're having as much fun as it looks. =]

Sign in to follow this