Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Omnioid

Reds Release Date

When do YOU want the game?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. When do YOU want the game?

• Certainly by November. The Kickstarter said Oct 2012, and I expect them to live up to that.
    • As long as it’s out by the end of the year, I’ll be happy.
    • Spring 2013 gives them a solid year to work, So I’ll go with that.
    • To Infinity...and Beyond! We can use Slacker Backers to keep this going well past the next ice age and Half Life 3!

I may be way off base, but after watching the third episode of the documentary, I have some mild concerns that Tim and the team might feel rushed. In the early videos, Tim talked about a 6 month development cycle for something like an iPhone game, something that one could still technically call 'a game', but when all the money came in, talk shifted to the idea of a one year development cycle. I feel that the latter is the far superior option. I understand the tightrope these guys and gals are having to walk, budget wise, and the obvious reality is that the money will run out eventually, but barring a literal "well, that was the last dollar we had allocated for Reds, guess it's time to release the game", I would prefer that the team take as long as they need to make the game what they want it to be, with no regard for release date, even if that means taking it into next year. Thoughts?

I agree, however longer production means more money to spend on people, am I wrong?

I guess it's up to the team see how to manage money and time

We definitely can't take longer than the budget we have--after all, most of the budget goes to paying the salaries that people need to live on. We're not going to put out something we're not happy with, but we have to be realistic in terms of scheduling. The good news it that the amount of money we ended up with definitely gives a lot more breathing room in terms of team size and development cycle length than we originally expected, and over the last few years we've gotten pretty good at making games with small teams and smaller budgets. It's pretty much what we do now.

"I agree, however longer production means more money to spend on people, am I wrong?"

No, you aren't wrong. I guess my personal opinion is that they should be able to use every bit of time that they feel they can buy for whatever money they have, and not feel any constraints from artificial deadlines.

I could have sworn that they already said that they expect the release date for DFA/REDS to be early next year, probably spring. I'm pretty sure the original release date of October was made with the assumption that they'd only get the $400k they were asking for, and thus would have been making a small game with a small team.

I could have sworn that they already said that they expect the release date for DFA/REDS to be early next year, probably spring. I'm pretty sure the original release date of October was made with the assumption that they'd only get the $400k they were asking for, and thus would have been making a small game with a small team.

I thought that as well, but in the third episode, when Tim and Greg were discussing the 'Release date' they said November of this year, which didn't jive with what I thought I had heard before now.

I thought that as well, but in the third episode, when Tim and Greg were discussing the 'Release date' they said November of this year, which didn't jive with what I thought I had heard before now.

Check the notes for the new episode.

"03:06 - The five months of production Tim and Greg are talking about only represent the pre-alpha phase."

Ahh, thank you for pointing that out to me. I was worried about a problem that doesn't exist. Now I feel silly :( I guess this is what I get for not reading the notes.

There aren't enough options. Having seen ep.3 of the documentary, I think a realistic date would be somewhere in february/march. Is that what you mean with "spring"? I dunno about you, but march is definitely still winter where I live. Anyway, if an alpha version is done by the end of november, beta testing could start early 2013, which would make my prediction not that unlikely, I think.

Development time doesn't matter imo. We know this project's budget, there was a comment somewhere that slacker backers have been relatively few, so it's not going to change. I just want Tim and co to focus on making the best game they can considering the budget they have to do it. If that means taking half a year, a year, two years, doesn't matter much to me (though more than two years would be getting a bit much).

The kickstarter pitch said October 2012, but it also said 400,000$. The project turned out to be larger than originally anticipated by DF, therefore the intended release date has lost it's relevance IMO. The only one we can blame for this is ourselves, since we gave DF way more budget and made the project larger.

I'll just come right out and say the game isn't going to be released by October of this year. It's unfortunate that the Kickstarter page now has an estimated delivery that doesn't match up with what the game development cycle ended up being, but only because of awesome reasons. I think most people would agree it's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff!

I'll just come right out and say the game isn't going to be released by October of this year. It's unfortunate that the Kickstarter page now has an estimated delivery that doesn't match up with what the game development cycle ended up being, but only because of awesome reasons. I think most people would agree it's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff!

I am more than okay with this. Pushed back delivery date means more backer community fun.

Also *insert Gabe Newell joke here*

Here's a quote from Greg in the new episode's thread regarding the game's release:

Yeah, this is a bit confusing. 2PP tried to clarify in their show notes by saying, "03:06 - The five months of production Tim and Greg are talking about only represent the pre-alpha phase." After that there's still Alpha, Beta, and the time spent crunching bugs before ship. It's difficult to nail down a timeline right now as we're still figuring out the design and scope of the game, but we're targeting a release in Spring of 2013.

I think most people would agree it's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff!

I do and it is!

More money = more stuff DF can develop for the game

more stuff DF can develop for the game = more development time required

only logical, keep up the good work guys!

I choose option 5: When it's ready.

That's what I meant when I chose option 4. Take all the time you need while you can. Rushing is never a good thing.

Here's a quote from Greg in the new episode's thread regarding the game's release:
Yeah, this is a bit confusing. 2PP tried to clarify in their show notes by saying, "03:06 - The five months of production Tim and Greg are talking about only represent the pre-alpha phase." After that there's still Alpha, Beta, and the time spent crunching bugs before ship. It's difficult to nail down a timeline right now as we're still figuring out the design and scope of the game, but we're targeting a release in Spring of 2013.

Let's do it on March 21, the first day of Spring! You know? Spring. Rejuvenation. Rebirth. Everything's blooming. All that crap.

I would suggest taking the appropriate amount of time. I don't know what that is, exactly, but I know that I don't want a rushed product for the sake of a release window, and neither do I want something that is delayed constantly, a la Duke Nukem Forever.

What I do want is a completed game, without waiting an ungodly amount of time.

Let's do it on March 21, the first day of Spring! You know? Spring. Rejuvenation. Rebirth. Everything's blooming. All that crap.

The end of December is also good. Christmas. Snow. Santa. All that stuff.

But I'd rather have a product that isn't rushed so spring or summer look pretty sweet to Jimmy... I mean Ronnie.

I honestly would be more comfortable with a 2 year development cycle, but as I don't know the full scope of the game, let it get done when it's done, so long as they keep us up to date, and that it's out before the end of 2014.

I had the same concern after watching the video, until I saw the show notes. I think they should take as long as they need/can. It wouldn't even be unheard of to go back to kickstarter for additional funds if they could offer a compelling reason why that was necessary (I've seen this done). At any rate, most of all I would just direct everyone to this quote from the great one: "A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."

Also *insert Gabe Newell joke here*
Watch yourself, there. If you're not careful, you might end up making a DNF joke on accident.

If the team starts dumpster diving for food and living on super frugal home grown veggies and cycling instead of driving then they can all take wage cuts and milk the production time.

The longer it takes the more 2PP videos we all get to watch.

Spring is a perfect time for a release but I will be in Exams so maybe hold off until late May.

;)

I'd rather they take as long as they want to make sure that the game meets everyone's standards. I, for one, can afford to wait. I still have, like, a gazillion Steam games on backlog anyway.

Sign in to follow this