Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Du Bois

Spelunky contest!

Hello, Fine friends! As many of you may know, the side-scrolling dungeon-crawling rogue-like game Spelunky comes out in a few days on XBLA. This is a remake of an earlier (freely-downloadable!) prototype made in Game Maker, complete with fancy new pixel art, additional content, and co-op and adversarial multiplayer.

I'm a big fan of roguelikes; I've played a lot of Angband, Powder, (and yes, Diablo), as well as contributing a tiny little bit to DCSS. Spelunky does a fantastic job of bringing many of the great elements of roguelikes into a shorter, more action-based experience. One of my favorite things about it is how smoothly the objects, enemies, and inventory items interact with each other -- sometimes with hilarious but fatal results.

Derek and Andy were kind enough to provide me with a download code ahead of the July 4 release date. I'd like to give it away to the person with the best "OMG did you just see that" Spelunky story. Tell us about the boulder that saved you from a rampaging shopkeeper; or that time you accidentally attached a sticky bomb to a damsel you were about to sacrifice to Kali, you thought you were safe when you ran up a rope, but she destroyed the altar and rained spiders on your head...

So! Share your stories! I'll check back in on Monday and pick a winner.

I've played the freeware version a little bit (an hour or so), but I can't think of any outrageous stories like that. I also don't use Live, so that pretty much sits me out.

Surprised no one else is posting, though...? Do people even know about Spelunky yet?

I've played the freeware version a little bit (an hour or so), but I can't think of any outrageous stories like that. I also don't use Live, so that pretty much sits me out.

Surprised no one else is posting, though...? Do people even know about Spelunky yet?

It surprises me as well. If I had an Xbox I would have been the first entry. I have already wanted this game with a fiery passion anyways, but I refuse to buy another system. Oh well, I guess I will just have to play some Journey. :P

Seriously. Spelunky is one of the best indie games of the last several years! I wonder if everyone's too busy on the backer forums. I wonder if everyone's too busy trying to keep abreast of the backer forum goings-on... I'll post a couple pointers to this thread and if there aren't any takers I'll be happy to use the code myself!

This is more of a "WHY?!" story than a "Whoa..." story, but...

I was having a nearly perfect run of the level...and not playing nicely, either. I had taken out the shopkeeper and stolen all his goods, killed just about every critter in my path, and avoided each and every trap with the grace of Errol Flynn. What made this only a *nearly* perfect run was that I had lost the idol about 3/4 the way to the exit. When I found the exit, there sat the idol right above, supported by a few blocks of dirt. Redemption! I could retrieve the idol with one of my bombs and exit the level like a boss.

I have nothing else to say other than that, for the same reason you do not want to dig straight up in Minecraft, you do not want blast away the support for a heavy object that is right above your head.

I'm going to buy it when it releases on Live. I've been waiting for it since Super Meat Boy brought it to my attention.

Ah, the first four classic levels. A perfect run through them. A damsel on my shoulder and great wealth accumulated. I sat the damsel down on the right side of the wall next to exit and went for the one thing missing on the fourth level. The idol!

To the right I went, and up a bit. And there it was. Golden. Shiny.

I grabbed it, and took off on the best impression of the Indy vs Giant Boulder chase I´ve been in. And a great leap saved me at the end.

And in that leap I throw the idol forward in some kind of celebratory gesture.......

......and of course it hits the damsel in the head, leaving me to go through the exit with even greater wealth, but alone.

Not what would have made a sucky Indy movie if filmed. :\

I don't have an Xbox, but I played the classic version on PC. It's a lot of fun, and crazy-addictive (careful, "just five more minutes" is not something that exists in the world of Spelunky). It looks pretty awesome now.

I'm glad this is finally coming out. I kept seeing peeks of it during testing and I initially thought I'd never be interested, but it just seemed like the more you played the better it got. And some of those achievements are nuts.

If I encounter some random sequence of annihilation, I'll post it.

I'm a day late giving out the code; I'll pick a post by the time I leave work this evening.

Here's one I just got: I had (luckily) just survived an encounter with a giant spider by whipping the idol as I ran by and triggering a rolling boulder. I had bad luck with the boulder and it angered Kali and 2(!) shopkeepers so the level was full of spiders and shotgun pellets. The shopkeepers had almost made it up to where I was, and I couldn't run back because of the spiders, so I tried tossing a bomb down. I had forgotten that I had just picked up the giant spider's web juice. Instead of bouncing into the hole I was aiming for, the bomb stuck to the ground at my feet. By the time I realized what was going on, I had just enough time before blowing up to learn that sticky bombs don't move when you whip them.

What I love about this game is how every death teaches you a little bit about how to play better (even if it's something you already know, like: be careful around spikes). Almost all of them are easily avoidable if you had just made a slightly better decision (like: pay attention and don't run underneath giant spiders). So you start a new game saying to yourself "I won't make that mistake again" and soon 2 hours have passed.

I thought the game doesn't release until tomorrow.

Oh, except there's a whole original game on PC already. Plum forgot.

Woohoo, thanks!

Congrats man!

Gonna buy this game when I get my XBOX back from my friend next week.

Gah, this game needs a PC version soooo bad. :P

Sign in to follow this