Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grahamon

Monkey Island 3a kickstarter

I wonder if Disney's acquisition of the Lucas empire will lead to more generous policies regarding licensing. LucasArts has historically been very stingy about this (the most ponderous example being their refusal to sell the incomplete Sam and Max: Freelance Police even after the lost the rights to the characters and therefore couldn't use it). Disney is probably more likely to see the potential value of letting someone else pay to use something they're not doing anything with.

I wonder if Disney's acquisition of the Lucas empire will lead to more generous policies regarding licensing. LucasArts has historically been very stingy about this (the most ponderous example being their refusal to sell the incomplete Sam and Max: Freelance Police even after the lost the rights to the characters and therefore couldn't use it). Disney is probably more likely to see the potential value of letting someone else pay to use something they're not doing anything with.

Hmm, I don't know if Disney have any more of a reputation for being generous with licensing. Particularly in the area of video games. I'm guessing there's a reason you don't see any of those old 90s Disney games being sold on the Wii Shop, for example.

I think that recent events mean the likeleyhood of random game licenses being thrown at shovelware by Disney-approved game studios is being knocked through the ceiling.

Hmm, I don't know if Disney have any more of a reputation for being generous with licensing. Particularly in the area of video games. I'm guessing there's a reason you don't see any of those old 90s Disney games being sold on the Wii Shop, for example.

Ducktales says what's up.

I dunno, it's hard to be worse than a company that refuses to license to anyone ever under any circumstances that don't involve them publishing/co-publishing/producing.

I'm at work and don't have time to hunt down the specific tweet, but after the news dropped about LucasArts being shut down, Ron tweeted something to the effect of, "this news changes nothing with regards to the Monkey IP."

Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear he said something like that. Because I stalk his twitter like Scott Pilgrim stalks Ramona at that one party.

I'm at work and don't have time to hunt down the specific tweet, but after the news dropped about LucasArts being shut down, Ron tweeted something to the effect of, "this news changes nothing with regards to the Monkey IP."

Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear he said something like that. Because I stalk his twitter like Scott Pilgrim stalks Ramona at that one party.

Well he said it changes nothing compared to October, when Disney bought the company, not that it changes nothing since before the buyout.

But Ron is stubborn. He wants to own the rights, not lease them, which Disney might not be open to any more than Lucas.

I'd be interested in a new Monkey Island but not so much in a new MI3. I think the prices for licenses will be a lot more realistic right now, then they used to be, since the rules have changed. Disney wants to make money so they will make prices the market can afford. But of course that doesn't mean it's going to be cheap. If Ron Gilbert or Double Fine give it a shot, I'll support the KS. And if Telltale developes a new ToMI, I'm actually looking forward to it. It's not amazing but I liked the first one. I just don't think Bill Tiller would be a wise choice.

Anyhow for a new MI3 I doubt we'd get enough money to make the original vision come true. Let's be optimistic and say that a KS sums up to 1.5mio (that is very optimistic, since that would be as much as Dreamfall and there already is a MI3 and remakes usually have a tough time! Most likely more than half of the money would be gone for rewards and licensing - and I'm optimistic here. So that would leave us with more than 700k and that's actually a small budget.

So again we would have many compromises, things left out and I wouldn't be surprised if the endresult were not as cool as the original MI3 (it's really not that easy to be better...).

But I'm on board with a new MI.

Hmmm I think Monkey Island >>> The longest journey in every multiverse hehe :)

So a Ron Gilbert's Kickstarter for the real Monkey Island 3 (although I really like the old Monkey 3) or just a brand new Monkey Island graphic adventure would explode in $$$, way more than what DFA did. I would support it for sure (and I would pledge much more), and surely every DFA backer would do the same... :)

I think, now, is the moment... We did it a year ago, we can do it again now.

So a Ron Gilbert's Kickstarter for the real Monkey Island 3 (although I really like the old Monkey 3) or just a brand new Monkey Island graphic adventure would explode in $$$, way more than what DFA did. I would support it for sure (and I would pledge much more), and surely every DFA backer would do the same... :)

I think a huge error is in this assumption. DFA was the exception and not the rule. Monkey Island would never make as much money and most likely in the next 10 years no other Adventure KS will male that much. DFA came with an amazing offer that seemed fresh at this time but not anymore: A game plus documentary for only 15 bucks and even 30 bucks is a wonderful deal. Many supporters are interested in how the developing process works and not so much in point-and-click adventures. And for many others it was a nostalgic one time thing. Longest Journey did show what's realistic for one of the most popular adventure series.

It is rather evident that Adventure fans are not as many as RPG fans, some may say ‘duh’ when they hear that, but the difference is that RPG’s are still very well in development in the AAA scene while adventures have been marginalized for years.

I expected more of a galvanized support from adventure fans, when an RPG can easily raise 4 million and some of the adventure projects barely hit the mark, we clearly have a problem. I was in fact surprised by the money Dreamfall managed to gather since the first game, was a failure in so many ways, I think what drove people in that one was either their love for the original game (TLJ) or this sense of resolution missing from the cliffhanger ending (RTG also pushed the project better than anyone during the campaign, minus a hiccup at the end).

If an adventure game can surpass that though, it would be a Monkey Island by DF with Ron Gilbert at the helm (just cause he left it doesn’t mean they can’t collaborate again) and it would probably be the only way for DF to get me to give them money for another KS project again.

I reckon it'd raise much more than DFA... but then I suppose a good part of that would go to buying the rights from Disney, if they first agree to sell, and if they set a reachable price.

Yep, the problem with this is the price for licensing + $ development is far greater than just doing a new adventure without licensing anything. But Telltale licensed Monkey Island, it couldn't be soooo much.

And looking at the old DFA backer statistics, I really consider that any Ron Gilbert's KS for a Monkey would reach farther. And that's because:

- A long time ago: A year ago, kickstarter was something new for a lot of us... I register there just to pledge for DFA. And since then I have pledged for other projects, some of them graphic adventures. Now is something we all know. And most of us have a game we would love to be resurrected, but a lot of people see KS with reserves... like it's a method of buying smoke without guaranties. When the first projects start becoming a reality, those people will see KS is another way of financing.

And we all have learned from the experience... So double fine (or just Ron) would be better at it (crowdfunding i mean)... the problem with people backing from outside USA, credit card usage in Germany (knowing it's one of adventure main markets!), paypal method available from day 0 and always remember to make the project accessible: 50% of the backers were 15$ backers, funding way over the initial target, so it's always better to offer a good trade to a million backers than a great travel + wonderful dinner with the developers for 5000$ to only one backer. All the money comes from 15-250$ so that's where the rewards must be creative.

- Branding: Ron Gilbert. Monkey Island. And... THE SECRET! Those are powerful words...

When DFA brought all this to the front pages, most of those people with reserves were saying... "But there is NO project at all!!". Nothing, nada, nor a single demo, nor a concept, a bit of the story, nothing... just Tim making a few jokes. And that's not enough for a lot of people, they want guaranties they will get what they want for their money.

But you say Monkey Island, and THAT is a real project. You say Ron Gilbert and that is the guaranty.

If let's say Lawrence Holland wants to make a space sim, I think I would like it... but surely I would not pledge for it. But if he goes to make a Starwars space sim, like in the xwing era, he could take all I have.... It's not that I dont like space sims, it's just that I want a STARWARS sim. The same happen with Monkey island, I like adventure games... but I LOVE Monkey island games (the real ones... the 4º dont exists). And a lot of people will be attracted just for the brand.

But who knows... I would pay 200$ for a new Ron Gilbert's boxed Monkey Island, with a call a pirate dial :P

I'd love to see Ron make his Monkey 3 the way he would've done it. And I would gladly pay a Kickstarter to make it happen.

Curse was great, Escape I don't wanna mention and Tales was ok, too I guess (but I'm still not a fan of Telltale's animation style)

But all that doesn't change the fact that Monkey Isand wasn't continued the way it was meant to be. (trim the sails and roam the sea)

It wasn't continued badly but I'm still curious as to what it would've been like. And I feel like Ron and the crew who made the first two games are still the best at making Monkey Islands.

The thing is, making this happen is not impossible. It doesn't seem like Disney have any big plans with the rights of Monkey Isand. they were mostly interested in the Star Wars stuff I imagine.

I feel like the adventure game rights are only going to collect dust if they stay in the hands of Disney. I can't imagine them making any worthy sequels or anything we want to see.

That's why I think the people who came up with these IPs should be able to use them. I say Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and the rest of the gang belong into the hands of their original creators. Who's with me?

Come on! It's not like Disney would demand millions, would they? I have no idea about this kind of business stuff but I can't imagine that it's THAT much.

I don't think Ron Gilbert is the only name that needs to be attached for it to truly turn out how fans are imagining. I think Schafer and Grossman would need to be involved, and ideally the same trio of composers, some of the artists. I think all these people are just as important in creating this thing I loved, which is why the Ron Gilbert name alone isn't enough to excite me.

But I also think probably it's better left alone anyway. All these people are doing cool things, I don't need some hypothetical alternate-universe MI3 even if it does have a better 'birthright'.

Mostly though, I don't see how it's ethical to crowdfund a game that you don't own the license to yet. It seems like making promises you have no good reason to think you can keep.

Come on! It's not like Disney would demand millions, would they?
Actually, I suspect it IS like that. If they're even willing to entertain it. I have some experience of rights and licensing in my day job, and rather suspect that a company like Disney who is not in the habit of assigning copyright (as opposed to licensing) would do so lightly. And even if some licensing deal could be arranged, those things don't run cheap, either, and come with plenty of strings attached. Just because you have no current plans for IP doesn't mean it's good business to sell off the rights cheaply. And they certainly won't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Even businessmen have the capacity for kindness!

It's funny how many points he has for an idea he isn't entertaining.

We should just do the KS so he could buy the IP from Disney. (Only discovered Ron had left DF a couple of days ago, been out of the loop)

I don't think Ron Gilbert is the only name that needs to be attached for it to truly turn out how fans are imagining. I think Schafer and Grossman would need to be involved...

Involved to what degree? Obviously, Schafer works for Double Fine and Grossman works for Telltale, so the three of them really making a game together is impossible at this point.

Why is this called Monkey Island 3 kickstarter? The Curse of Monkey Island is Monkey Island 3 and its awesome, probably even my favourite. Just because Ron Gilbert said that in his version of the universe everything after 2 doesnt exist, we should all delete MI3 from our memory?

Why is this called Monkey Island 3 kickstarter? The Curse of Monkey Island is Monkey Island 3 and its awesome, probably even my favourite. Just because Ron Gilbert said that in his version of the universe everything after 2 doesnt exist, we should all delete MI3 from our memory?

There... changed! Though no disrespect to Curse originally intended! I agree it's awesome.

http://grumpygamer.com/9168384

There... changed! Though no disrespect to Curse originally intended! I agree it's awesome.

http://grumpygamer.com/9168384

Oh awesome, now im happy :D

Sign in to follow this